Upset over Christmas gift?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Upset over Christmas gift?

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:55 am

Dannysteinhart wrote:
dan wrote:Often gifts mean so much more to the giver than the receiver. Showing appreciation and accepting the gift means a lot to someone who wants you to see how much they care... One should expect nothing, and be happy for the things he received. The best gift you could give your Dad is a big thank you and to put his gift to use. I have never asked someone to take a gift back. ( But then again no one ever bought me an Obama T-shirt :lol: )

Dan you are totally right. I could tell my dad was so happy and excited. What are your thoughts on cellular cameras on public land, I just don't want it to get stolen and there goes $400.

I use mine on public land... I do worry a little about it, but hide it best I can.

Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:14 am

dan wrote:
Dannysteinhart wrote:
dan wrote:Often gifts mean so much more to the giver than the receiver. Showing appreciation and accepting the gift means a lot to someone who wants you to see how much they care... One should expect nothing, and be happy for the things he received. The best gift you could give your Dad is a big thank you and to put his gift to use. I have never asked someone to take a gift back. ( But then again no one ever bought me an Obama T-shirt :lol: )

Dan you are totally right. I could tell my dad was so happy and excited. What are your thoughts on cellular cameras on public land, I just don't want it to get stolen and there goes $400.

I use mine on public land... I do worry a little about it, but hide it best I can.

Thanks Dan.
Hearing the responses has changed my attitude on this 180. I guess I forgot the meaning of Christmas for a bit. I am looking forward to scouting and getting some beautiful creatures on camera with my dad.
This is the first time I have posted a topic on your forum which I have been visiting for over a year. You've reignited my passion for the outdoors. I must say that it was good to hear the responses from everybody, I can tell these are some stand up guys. I appreciate the feedback.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:45 am

If you use the camera on public, put it up high in a tree out of reach, and out of the line of site. The good thing is if its a cell cam you get instant pictures of anyone messing with your camera. I know with mine I can be at the parking lot, at the guys truck before he can be out of the woods with my camera, and I will have a picture of him.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:22 am

If you're afraid to lose them then don't put them out. Maybe you'll find a private place in the near future and you can use it there.

Glad you changed your tune. My dad died 4 years ago this January. I'd give a lot just to have a 30 second phone call...
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:24 am

I can see being upset about your parents spending that kind of money... But it's there money and there choice... Just enjoy the time left with your dad. Don't worry about the camera being stolen, put it out and enjoy sharing the photos with your dad.. for $10-$15 a month you can get it configured and enjoy lots of hunting g conversations with your Dad because of it.
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Great advice has been given here. Enjoy the camera! Take your Dad with you when you set it up so he can help. Then show him the pics that you get and I'm sure this will make his day!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:54 pm

I think you are looking at it wrong. I think your dad is looking for ways to help you enjoy hunting since he really can't be part of it anymore. Maybe the gifts are partly so he can use them and be part of it but they are gifts so it shouldn't matter if they weren't what u wanted..

Also you are looking at from where you are from a money standpoint. He may not be rich but 400 bucks might seem different to him than to you. In reality it's not a ton of money so if it's not putting him I'm a bind I wouldn't sweat it.

I use mine on public land you just have to be selective where and how you place them.

I say enjoy the gifts. If they made him happy that's
really what it's all about.

Another thing, you can set them up to send pics to both of your phones so he will be in on the action!! Win/win
Make It Happen
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:50 am

Dirtybird that's a great idea - just send the pics to your dad's phone/email. Bet he would love that.

If you don't want to use it yourself then don't them but Dan nailed it in his first post....sometimes we are eating a big bowl of ice cream but are still p****d off because it didn't come with any sprinkles on top. Give yourself a hard slap across the face and get over it - j/k, slightly :D
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:11 am

Dads coming over tonight so we can set it up and put it to some use. It really is a sweet gift and ill share some pics of all the booners ill get on camera.
;)
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:19 pm

What a fun read and great first thread. Hope you didn't think it was all about big bucks, plenty of armchair psychiatrists here as well.

My dad got me a watch once, never wore it. I took it and smiled, ended up giving it too my nephew a few years later, after he stopped asking me about it every time I saw him.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”