Too Picky?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
vtbuck
500 Club

Too Picky?

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:28 am

So I've been married to a wonderful woman for 14 years and change. She patient with me most of the time. She's a school teacher so she has a lot of patience. Except when she asked me how hunting was. I tell her what I saw on a sit and then I get those famous words. " why didn't you shoot? You're too picky. Just shoot a deer already!" Then there's usually a head shake followed by her going shopping.
Does anybody else go through this?
I'm picky cause I want to shoot a buck of a certain age class or older. I don't shoot does till late season. That's just the way I am.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
TNstalker

Re: Too Picky?

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:32 am

Lol! Yep! I've explain my thoughts to mine many times she don't get it! She is starting to but she likes to eat them next year I'm gonna get the meat first then I can be as picky as I wanna be!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:48 am

I pick my nose to clear the passages and breath better. I pick the buck to satisfy myself and breath better.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:05 am

I get the opposite... Carol generally tells me I should of held out for a bigger or older buck.. It cuts deep when she says "I thought you were waiting for a big buck?" :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:08 am

Most just don't get it that we are not only out there just to fill a tag on any deer. The challenge of holding out for a certain size or age is a very individual thing.

I never got into the numbers thing as far as killing multiple deer including does. Most seasons I have plenty of opportunities to fill any number of tags but like to hold out for only one or two with horns if I have buck tags. I would rather eat a tag than kill a buck I would just not feel right about taking. I try to protect the does and haven't killed one for about 10 years now. I think most of us here would be considered picky.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:20 am

The details of what I passed are best not discussed with my better half.

Instead I describe the peace and quiet, the squirrels doing squirrel things and the sound of the breeze through the trees ;)
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:33 am

JoeRE wrote:The details of what I passed are best not discussed with my better half.

Instead I describe the peace and quiet, the squirrels doing squirrel things and the sound of the breeze through the trees ;)

:whistle: 8-) :clap: :handgestures-thumbup:
DirtyBird

Unread postby DirtyBird » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:39 am

Wait...so size does matter to women?
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:02 am

I shot everything I could on the first chance for years and years. little bucks, does, fawns. If it was brown it was down was how I was raised. I got lucky once and got an 120" 8 pointer, that was 10 years ago. Beast forum reignited my passion for hunting and this year I was picky. I came to full draw on a little 8 pointer and let it walk. Saw a few wall hangers but nothing that allowed a shot, but I was doing good for a newb I thought. Fast forward to gun season 2016. Hunted hard both weekends, passed up a 6 pointer. Walking in from an access trail I noticed some good trails on the transistion zone and rubs like crazy, not far from where I saw the 6 pointer. I sat in a spot I never been before. The Last hour of the Last day I hear the unmistakable sound a deer sloshing from the marsh into the woods. This was the wall hanger I was waiting for. Shoot and miss from 30 yards. That was a tough one. But the point is I never would have been out hunting if I shot the 6 pointer on opening weekend (my old self would have shot the 6 pointer). It always hits me in the feels when I shoot a deer. They are beautiful animals that I love and respect. Taking ones life is not a small matter and I wont do it anymore unless I am 100 percent sure that is the deer I want. It just happens that I want a bigger buck. For you or someone else the deer they want might be small buck or doe. This experience just reinforced the fact that you never know what you could miss out on if you settle. I didn't kill a deer this year and that's ok with me, becuase ultimately I am out there for the chance, the experience, the adventure, and the thrill of the hunt.

It helps my wife doesn't like venison. :D
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:38 am

I dont have that problem yet, but, I like your style :handgestures-thumbupright:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:21 am

I been scolded a few times by the wife for killing deer because she thinks they are too cute to die. :lol: But she then remembers how good venison tastes.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:51 am

I dont get that too often. I got that once when I told my GF that I saw a deer. She goes "why didnt you shoot!?" And I tell her I had no shot. She knows now that I will shoot anything that walks within range as long as I have a tag for it and its an ethical shot. (she knows my love for red meat). But I dont get it too often. But I also get 5 tags a year here in RI. I get 2 bucks and 3 does. So I have that option. But if you only have one buck tag I dont blame you for not shooting if you are looking for a specific age.

But I want to start by saying that I am not trying to be a jerk. This is just an idea. But One good way to counter that is to ask her to get her license and come with you. That way if you see a 2 year old and she doesnt mind burning her tag on that so tha you have meat for the freezer she can shoot it and you can still wait ;)
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:43 am

Your best bet is not to tell her when you can hold it back. It sucks but our tactics and scouting strategies take its toll on the family. I usually take December off that gives 6 weeks between hunting and scouting.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:47 am

I started scouting beast style this year. Got the biggest buck so far on camera for me in a bed this year. Followed by about 6 other bucks, all shooters to me. All bigger than anything I've killed to date. The wife tells me when I went out the first day "now don't shoot those small bucks, just shoot that big one". I just started laughing. She's didn't laugh she was serious!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:51 am

My wife expects me to fill the freezers. She has asked many times why I even go if Im not gonna shoot them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”