Pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNstalker

Pressure

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:34 am

So was pondering a question this morning. Forget the food or last doe but if you find a mature buck now or a couple in an area how often does that area become the over looked or unpressured area an is frequented by one or more mature bucks during the season not just late season?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

fishlips
500 Club

Re: Pressure

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:56 am

I have found that to be the million dollar question. Timing when bedding is being used has been a lot of trial and error. Some spots I have noticed heat up when pressure is on. Some it's dependent on food. Some on wind. Some times the conditions seems perfect for that bed to be used and nothing is home.

I would say it's a place to keep tabs on for sure. If it seems like the ideal setup, it's probably a spot that gets used throughout the year.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 am

Yeah I know even if I find an area holding one right now there is no guarantee he will use it a lot or even some. I just figured the odds might be high that he is not getting bothered there being after rut an it's almost the end of the season.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:16 am

Quite often when it comes to primary bedding... The spots that can hold big bucks when there is not much cover, are the spots that can hold big bucks all year. Obviously not in all cases, but in a lot.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:51 am

Dan how often when u find this time of year it's not just do to cover loss or food source shifting or anything else it has to do with they are not getting bothered there?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:23 pm

TNstalker wrote:Dan how often when u find this time of year it's not just do to cover loss or food source shifting or anything else it has to do with they are not getting bothered there?

I couldn't put a number on it, its going to very from situation to situation... There is a "tweener" time when there not in winter bedding, and not in summer bedding. The less cover you have, the easier it is to see the best cover spots. Primary bedding will be in spots that have bedding cover all year. Towards the end of deer season before the snow is best. But even after snow you can find great bedding. As a matter of fact, I have found some incredible primary bedding areas that even I over looked simply by following big buck tracks in the snow... It also teaches you a thing or two about over looked spots.

Back to your percentage question... Might not be able to put a number on it, but in a lot of cases when you get into one of those primary bedding areas, most of the time you should know it... Your going to say to yourself "this is the perfect spot for a big buck to hide out and live undetected" If you didn't say that, keep looking...
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:30 am

Yeah cover is an issue here in TN lots of it. We don't get snow but now as much as our temps swing up an down ground stays wet so tracking would be easier now than most times. I've been trying to coming with strategies for locating other than cams an observation stands. Need more cams. Also seems like in my area with a lot of new growth it seems they like a certain height an move able cover not a taller cover that's hard to get into an out of.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”