Ridgerunner7 and Other Farmland Hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phade
500 Club

Re: Ridgerunner7 and Other Farmland Hunters

Unread postby phade » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:58 am

We use a mix - and mostly 15-19' basic ladder stands. We have to have around 50 stands on the six properties we hunt, all small acreage 75 acres and under in mostly ag land. We will still hang and hunt when necessary, but we also don't overpressure often with our ability to rotate the properties and various stands.

That said all of us can be mobile on short notice with LW setups. This might be the first year however, were none of us needed or felt the need to use that option once. Our "permanent" stands worked very well for us. We do move the permanent stands when necessary and some stands are not hunted every year. I can think of a handful we never hunted this year, but in certain crop years, we do.

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
JC7

Unread postby JC7 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:42 am

I hunt heavy pressured farmland all year. I have permanent sets that have been there for years. they can be good stands depending on lots of factors. I used to sit the same few "good" stands all the time. My success went up when I stopped doing that as much. The deer figure them out fast.

One small property I hunt, has another guy that hunts it too. He sits in the same stand 20 times a year usually with no regard to wind. He has shot a few decent ones from there, so that's his spot. the deer naturally want to cross from the neighbors bedding area through this little woods, his stand is right on the edge of their corridor. I have an area I hunt when I know he is going to be hunting and there is a wind blowing his scent down the corridor. He kind of sweeps the deer to me as they try to skirt around him. I also think the deer can see him approach his stand from their bedding area. This area has about as much hunting pressure as you can get. So the deer tend to weave their way around dangerous areas. I hate to think how many times the deer have done this same thing to me over the years.

I should note that this is during bow season. If the deer tried to move from this bedding area in gun season during daylight, they could be shot from atleast 3 permanent box blinds and one treestand. There is a lot less pressure during archery.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
titan23_87

Unread postby titan23_87 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Those going more toward the 100% mobile, if you are on public that allow it or private, are you trimming shooting lanes (if at all) when hanging and hunting? What saw are you bringing in?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:18 pm

titan23_87 wrote:Those going more toward the 100% mobile, if you are on public that allow it or private, are you trimming shooting lanes (if at all) when hanging and hunting? What saw are you bringing in?

Where allowable I use a wicked saw... The folding kind I can fit in a pocket. Usually if anything is cut hunt day, its stuff I can reach from the stand that must be removed. Prefer not to cut if possible.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:30 am

titan23_87 wrote:Those going more toward the 100% mobile, if you are on public that allow it or private, are you trimming shooting lanes (if at all) when hanging and hunting? What saw are you bringing in?

Always have a wicked saw with me. Where I hunt, I prep lot of that stuff preseason. Some of it I never hunt. I will go in this spring and do a bunch of cutting with a pole saw and hand saw getting stuff prepped for next year.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:19 am

One of my trimming prioritys involves keeping my set invisible to other people.

A branch broken will be less obvious for years to come versus a cut branch.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:29 am

Farmland is like any other terrain in the aspect that your best chance is the first setup in that area. I set up atleast 40 trees in the off season but never hunt all of them; these trees are a mix of observation, doe hunting spots, early season spots, rut spots, late season spots, rotational crop bedding spots, etc. A big reason i don't hunt all of my spots is that lots of time I go mobile based on what I'm seeing from observation spots or I'm hunting buck beds in a particular area. I only utilize presets in perennial areas I KNOW will produce or if I'm observing something from a distance.

The buck I shot this year was bedded along an interior drainage ditch that ran perpendicular from a standing corn field down to the main creek drainage. Found the spot a couple years before scouting and setup a hang and hunt with with my saddle to kill him. I'm sure a pre-set could have worked in this instance, but staying away from known buck bedding until the time is right is always better.

All of my areas have a bunch of other guys hunting as well; I also hide my setups like others above. Most of my spots are trimmed and I'll leave steps up but never a treestand; I'll carry my stand in or use my aerohunter saddle.
JC7

Unread postby JC7 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:59 am

I don't usually cut much on mobile spots, maybe trim a few spots on the tree I am in. I have bent little trees or limbs out of the way and tied them off for the day. Some of my one time use spots are on the ground, and tying things off or strategically throwing dead limbs on grass or brush helps sometimes. On the ground I try to be as low impact as possible for both deer and other people. One time I built a log ground blind and the neighbor kids took it over for a fort.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:09 am

justdirtyfun wrote:One of my trimming prioritys involves keeping my set invisible to other people.

A branch broken will be less obvious for years to come versus a cut branch.

wHEN I CUT WHILE IN THE TREE I TRY TO CUT ON AN ANGLE THAT LEAVES THE CUT SIDE UP SO IT CAN'T BE SEEN FROM GROUND LEVEL.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:03 am

^^^ Nice.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
titan23_87

Unread postby titan23_87 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:41 pm

How often do you abandon a smaller parcel because there simply isn't the sign that a mature buck is bedding specifically on that track? You may get pictures (middle of the night), rubs, scrapes, but the known bedding isn't getting used there and it appears the buck is bedding on a neighboring woodlot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”