Ever regret letting a buck walk?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Ever regret letting a buck walk?

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:16 pm

A 20 inch wide mature 4 point I passed in the 80's... I was to into score back in those days. It would of been an awesome trophy. But for the most part, I feel good about passing deer. Rarely do I feel bad for letting one live.

You often here people say: If I don't shoot it, someone else will... Well, that's true, some kid might shoot his/her 1st deer ever. Some elderly guy might get the 1st buck in 15 years... Or, maybe some how your wrong and it makes it one more year. One thing is for sure, you kill it and it won't be someones 1st buck, It won't be some elderly guys last buck, and it certainly won't make it one more year.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:08 am

I'm just learning how to find and shoot bucks. Not regretting any that I shoot. I do/can pass the young ones when I think something bigger might show. Passed 3-6s, and some 3 & 4 pts, etc. this season. One of the 6s was meaty - I should have shot him for the freezer, but can not complain.

I have yet to even see a deer like Maine passed and would not pass on it.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:38 am

dan wrote:A 20 inch wide mature 4 point I passed in the 80's... I was to into score back in those days. It would of been an awesome trophy. But for the most part, I feel good about passing deer. Rarely do I feel bad for letting one live.

You often here people say: If I don't shoot it, someone else will... Well, that's true, some kid might shoot his/her 1st deer ever. Some elderly guy might get the 1st buck in 15 years... Or, maybe some how your wrong and it makes it one more year. One thing is for sure, you kill it and it won't be someones 1st buck, It won't be some elderly guys last buck, and it certainly won't make it one more year.

Just had the same argument the other day. No winning the "if you don't shoot it someone else will" --- but if I shoot it FOR SURE it will not make it. Not that I care about trying to win an argument.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:54 am

I try to set my minimum and stick to it. That minimum changes from property to property, and whether I'm bow or gun hunting. That preconceived pass helps to keep me from regretting any.

I did have one Saturday come through on public that I believe was just a half inch under both of the antler requirements for the public piece I was on. He was well past state legal, and for my first public land bow buck, I would've likely shot him had he been legal on this piece.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:06 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
dan wrote:A 20 inch wide mature 4 point I passed in the 80's... I was to into score back in those days. It would of been an awesome trophy. But for the most part, I feel good about passing deer. Rarely do I feel bad for letting one live.

Just had the same argument the other day. No winning the "if you don't shoot it someone else will" --- but if I shoot it FOR SURE it will not make it. Not that I care about trying to win an argument.

I believe it's just an excuse of insecurity.

I had a minor taste of regret for not taking a 2.5 yo 8 point on my MI hunt this year. My parents who reside there could've really use some of the meat. On the other hand, it was the right choice in my gut.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MentatArcher

Unread postby MentatArcher » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:33 am

Not sure if it came up yet, but skipping a shot beyond your ability is definitely a good thing we can do collectively as hunters. No regrets making a sound shot call.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:00 am

wickedbruiser wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:

I had a minor taste of regret for not taking a 2.5 yo 8 point on my MI hunt this year. My parents who reside there could've really use some of the meat. On the other hand, it was the right choice in my gut.

Here is a twist:

Lets say an experienced hunter, we will call him Ed, tries to kill +3.5 year old deer and is very limited in killing this class buck.
Ed, because he has ADD, gets sick of years of not killing these bucks.
Ed wants to have fun and realizes either his abilities or location and/or both hinder this attempt, so instead giving up hunting and taking up sewing classes he decides to shot a 1.5 year old or fawn every now and again, maybe every year who knows...

Is this insecurity, does it make Ed feel good, maybe like he can still kill a deer and still make him a deer hunter?
Not everyone has to up their personal best, not everyone has to leave 1 lone deer (in a haystack) thinking he bettered the sport and is a better person for doing this for someone else, not everyone is involved in growing deer.
Although everyone does buy a license that allows them to kill deer, any deer within the regulations set forth.

See, Ed may feel like you guys do about when people say, I hate that saying (if I don't someone else will), makes it sound like you've mastered something and look down upon the minions of hunting...
If Ed sacrificed in other areas he may do better, but it's his choice that he doesn't.
Can Ed still dream of killing Monster Bucks and be disappointed that he doesn't?
Can Ed play the lottery and be disappointed when he isn't the winner?
How about not getting that promotion or raise? Maybe picking bad fruit or vegetables...

I hate when people complain they are caught in a job or whine about thinking they deserve that raise.
Or when their kid get's into trouble because they aren't the parent they could of, should of been...

Same but different isn't it...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:01 am

Like a few have said. Ive regretted a couple deer I shot in the past. I regret passing a 10 at 12 yards this year. Only because I have a tag in my pocket and with limited time to hunt the remainder. That's hunting though..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:23 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
wickedbruiser wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:

Here is a twist:

Lets say an experienced hunter, we will call him Ed, tries to kill +3.5 year old deer and is very limited in killing this class buck.
Ed wants to have fun and realizes either his abilities or location and/or both hinder this attempt, so instead giving up hunting and taking up sewing classes he decides to shot a 1.5 year old or fawn every now and again, maybe every year who knows...

Is this insecurity, does it make Ed feel good, maybe like he can still kill a deer and still make him a deer hunter?
Not everyone has to up their personal best, not everyone has to leave 1 lone deer (in a haystack) thinking he bettered the sport and is a better person for doing this for someone else, not everyone is involved in growing deer.
Although everyone does buy a license that allows them to kill deer, any deer within the regulations set forth.

See, Ed may feel like you guys do about when people say, I hate that saying (if I don't someone else will), makes it sound like you've mastered something and look down upon the minions of hunting...
If Ed sacrificed in other areas he may do better, but it's his choice that he doesn't.
Can Ed still dream of killing Monster Bucks and be disappointed that he doesn't?
How about not getting that promotion or raise? Maybe picking bad fruit or vegetables...

I hate when people complain they are caught in a job or whine about thinking they deserve that raise.
Or when their kid get's into trouble because they aren't the parent they could of, should of been...

When I talk about this, I am talking about seasoned guys that have killed bunch of deer. This guy in particular killed a beauty in PA and a beauty in Maine. Both archery bucks. Single guy who does not need any more deer meat. Seasoned guys that have not had ONE chance in 2 mos to shoot a doe. Obviously, they don't have the deer to be killing does. But still, if a doe walks by, they HAVE to shoot it. BECAUSE if they don't, someone else will shoot that deer.

I never expect guys that are struggling to make the same decisions as others who are not. Its the seasoned successful guys that I do not understand. Why do they have to shoot everything that moves? Had another buddy tell me yesterday, he is going to be killing fawns instead of a doe because it does not "hurt the herd". These guys are successful hunters that have killed pile of good bucks. The same guy complains about the area he hunts because no deer are left. It just makes me scratch my head. :doh:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:27 am

I usually don't regret letting a buck walk.

I would much rather shoot a doe and let a small buck walk! I have never regretted shooting a doe!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:52 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
wickedbruiser wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:

Here is a twist:

Ed, I believe you misunderstood. I'm referring to the excuses. The continuous talk and reasonings for doing whatever they've done ("if I didn't shoot it, someone else will"). I find that statement offending. Almost like the hunter was not happy with his kill. I have nothing against a guy enjoying hunting and shooting younger deer. Being happy is what it's all about. But, a statement like that IMO is a sense of insecurity (a reason). I'm sure you don't make such statements after every deer under 3.5 you shoot.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:02 am

I have missed opporunties, where I could have and should have shot a couple mature bucks, two in particular walked because I was unsure of the distance and didn't hunt with a range finder. One I got greedy on that ran with a bigger 10, passed him opening morning at 17-18 steps thinking bigger 10 was with him(bachelor group came in). I was wrong and had to watch a PY 8 walk off. My dad said I watched too many videos and needed to come back to the real world of hunting. Since that time, a buck that I want is in range, I shoot.

On the flip side of things there are a couple that i shot, either thought where a bit bigger or had a split second to judge and shot and had ground shrinkage. Was still proud of but if I would have known, a pass would have taken place.

I'm proud of all the whitetail lives I've taken, but I think hunters that have goals or standards, that either pass or take opportunities, that either meet or don't meet their standards, is normal to feel "regret" or indifference over.

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:06 am

Yep. 2 bucks come to mind. A 12 ptr I let walk cause it was raining. The other was a 130-140" 9 ptr that came from straight downwind up through some thick pines and popped out in my shooting lane. By the time I realized what he was he was through and gone. I was kicking myself for awhile on that one. Oh well. That's hunting. Both were mature deer. Both were learning experiences. My wife always tells me to stop observing and shoot already. In those 2 instances I should've listened.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:43 am

Lots of good replies here.

I'm not at the level where I should be letting a pretty good public 8 go. Again I misjudged him. I was gun hunting though and could have taken him with a bow. Honestly after my first bow kill I'm hooked. Shooting them with a gun doesn't even compare. But either weapon choice I would have been happy with this buck, I just didn't know it at the time. I agree with what you said Dan about letting it go. Someone else may get their first deer or he may grow bigger next year if he lives. As far as meat goes I'm pretty good on meat for this year but my brother wants some so I could have stocked his freezer no matter the size of the deer so that's weighing in the back of my mind too.

I guess my regret comes from the fact that I know I only get so many chances a year at a bigger buck and this was one of them and I flat out made a mistake. Still got quite a bit of season left so anything can happen but I need to capitalize on my opportunities.

I'm really considering taking my bow and making the same setup to see if I can catch him again.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 am

It's a personal opinion on what kind of hunter you aspire to be! I have a general goal set in mind before I go out. If a buck meets the criteria he's getting shot. If not it's a pass.

For me I enjoy killing deer and being lethal. Being lethal in my mind is a readiness to kill at any opportunity while in the woods hunting. Many things I've read here on the beast I apply.

Two mainly that I attempt to go by: number 1, be ready to shoot quickly and accurately and take the first best shot the deer gives you. Number 2, try to kill the best buck in the area you are hunting.

I passed a nice little 7 point the first few days of bow season. It was a spot where I was allowed 2 bonus bucks. I never made a kill there and didn't fill the tags I had spent a lot of gas money and time on. I also never went back in an attempt to kill that buck. I also passed a 6 point twice and a few other dinks this season.

I can't say I've regretted passing any buck. I can say I've regretted killing small deer bucks and does in years past.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”