Ever regret letting a buck walk?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Ever regret letting a buck walk?

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:32 am

Yesterday morning I made the perfect bed hunt. Went in blind from a spot I map scouted. I didn't think there'd be bedding right were I was but the area is steep bluffs and knew something could only cross the point at the end. I came in from the side but couldn't get up the bluff so kept going until I could. I had to crawl up the very steep slope but made it. Then I swung around from the side and behind the point to overlook it.

Right at daylight a lone deer comes in and I see it's a buck. What looked like a 6. He seemed to hit my ground scent turn around and go back down the bluff. I stay put and noticed my stand was loose and making noise when I moved so I re camlocked it. After a little while I see a tail flip up and this same deer bust out. He obviously caught my scent but didn't leave, just circled upwind of me. I actually stood up to get my phone out to video him. He came back to my scent and looked around. I could have dropped him at any time but he still didn't seek huge and I was a mile back having went down a steep ridge and up a bluff. If I was hauling out a deer he needed to be big. I videoed him and let him walk.

Now looking back he had a nice spread and decent mass and height that I couldn't see 20 foot up, 60 yards away, and another 30-50 foot up hill. I flat out misjudged him and would have been happy harvesting this fine buck especially on public.

The silver lining is I know a good bedding point and I made the perfect setup and access.

Here's the video. Have you ever regretted passing a buck up?

http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/check ... 0.mp4.html

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Ever regret letting a buck walk?

Unread postby Jeff G » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:37 am

A couple years ago we were in the marsh with dan and I passed up a 120"ish buck. Dave shot it later in the day. Later that same day I missed a bigger one. During the day I regretted not shooting but looking back I am happy not shooting the buck. The memories and every time we walk by that spot someone brings it up. The momories are what I remember and we all have a good laugh tellin the story each year :)

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:41 am

Jeff G wrote:A couple years ago we were in the marsh with dan and I passed up a 120"ish buck. Dave shot it later in the day. Later that same day I missed a bigger one. During the day I regretted not shooting but looking back I am happy not shooting the buck. The memories and every time we walk by that spot someone brings it up. The momories are what I remember and we all have a good laugh tellin the story each year :)

Thanks for sharing Jeff. I hunt alone quite a bit. I guess the regret I have is from the chance of not seeing something bigger. I'm not on the level or even near it as some of you guys are and may only get one shot a year at a decent buck. I had the perfect shot a few times but let him pass. There's some positives like I said. One of biggest is if he lives through the season he'll be bigger next year. It's just a tough learning experience sometimes.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:44 am

I've done that a couple times. After a couple days I usually don't mind though

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:52 am

Yes. Lots of times.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:55 am

Oh. You don't know. Can not rewind either.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 am

Nope.
They were all 1.5...

2.5 are never that lucky!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:05 am

Mixed feelings about one big buck, low light ethical decision. Other than that no regrets, have led to bigger bucks.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:39 am

cbay wrote:Mixed feelings about one big buck, low light ethical decision. Other than that no regrets, have led to bigger bucks.

I've not run into this yet but I'd like to think I wouldn't regret passing due to an iffy shot. I had this one dead tho. An easy shot and I was calm and cool. I just let him pass because I thought he was smaller than he actually was. He wasn't a monster by all means. Oh well another day and another buck.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:40 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Nope.
They were all 1.5...

2.5 are never that lucky!

I've killed several 1.5s that I should have let walk but needed meat or mistook them for a doe. Funny how things go sometimes

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:44 am

I have let some real big ones walk because I didn't like the shot. Never regretted any of them. The risk on an iffy shot is just not worth it to me. I take too much pride in a clean kill.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:54 am

If given a second chance there is one that I would have shot. Never regretted it though.

Shed Freak

Unread postby Shed Freak » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:15 am

Yes, but I've also regretted shooting them as well. This year has been the biggest learning year I've ever had.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:28 am

All the time but that is hunting. Worst case was in 2010 when I had a 150 offering me a money shot at 15 but I was focused on a head on 170+. By far my best public land encounter. Both bucks walked. Hindsight is 20-20.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:33 am

Shed Freak wrote:Yes, but I've also regretted shooting them as well. This year has been the biggest learning year I've ever had.

Same thing. I've shot some smaller 8s and a few 6s that I regretted. I guess regret letting them walk is better since if they live, they'll be bigger and if that's his home range I have a leg up for next time. It was a great learning experience to see how an older buck bedded and responded to my presence.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”