Late season, snow and cold, how to hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Late season, snow and cold, how to hunt?

Unread postby mag1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:44 am

It's been quiet awhile since I have hunted a late season hunt when the temps are Going to be in the mid teens, but it is still snowing and supposed To till tomorrow morning. I plan on going out mid day. Would you typically still set up near the bedding, or maybe still hunt? This area has some thick tags in the marsh, a little high ground, all the crops have been picked and fields have been plowed. This is the first snow of the year, we have 5"+, maybe 8-12 when it is all done. I'm not sure if the deer will be moving yet, so what do u guys typically see? I also thought of looking for hot sign when I go in as well. Any thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Late season, snow and cold, how to hunt?

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:07 am

Personally I'd find some fields that aren't plowed under. If you can find some winter wheat or maybe alpha. Then it's as simple as finding the tracks that come outa bedding.

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 am

What if corn was cut back in November? Might they still come check for scraps or not likely?

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:14 am

Mag1,
I'll be out tomorrow too. With the fresh snow. I'm scouting my way in, and setting up on the fresh sign coming out of marsh bedding!

Or I have another option...Going in blind to a standing corn field?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Tgreeno, if I remember correctly, r u in the Appleton area? ..... anyways, the snow has stopped, about 6" or so. I'm hopping the wet stuff froze enough, I have a plan, I just need to see if there are any tracks in the area now. This is primarily flat land, high ground is only a few feet higher than the marsh. Get of work aroundd, 11, should be in the woods close to noon.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:12 pm

mag1 wrote:Tgreeno, if I remember correctly, r u in the Appleton area? ..... anyways, the snow has stopped, about 6" or so. I'm hopping the wet stuff froze enough, I have a plan, I just need to see if there are any tracks in the area now. This is primarily flat land, high ground is only a few feet higher than the marsh. Get of work aroundd, 11, should be in the woods close to noon.

Mag1, I'm in Fond du Lac area. We got about 4" here. I prolly heading out shortly after noon. Gonna scope out the standing corn first, if the sign is good I'll hunt it. Otherwise I'm heading to a marsh bedding area looking for fresh sign. Both are basically blind hunts. Only cyber scouted. Then my next chance will be Wed or Thurs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:47 pm

4 doe's for me. A good start to my "late season"!
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Seen one doe tonight, just not close enough. Tgreeno, I work down in fdl, I'm supposed to "bleed black". If u live in FDL, you'll know what that means. :)

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:49 am

mag1 wrote:Seen one doe tonight, just not close enough. Tgreeno, I work down in fdl, I'm supposed to "bleed black". If u live in FDL, you'll know what that means. :)

Mag1, I worked there for 15 years.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:57 am

Still comes down to bedding for me and then food. In farmland like I hunt, I'm still seeing bucks travel quite a distance from preferred bedding to food. Right now they are traveling and hitting the cut cornfields but they aren't getting there until well after dark...
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:00 am

Have any of you guy's noticed if it seems a lot of deer have moved out of the swamps and marsh with it freezing or are they still holding deer?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:06 am

Hunter74 wrote:Have any of you guy's noticed if it seems a lot of deer have moved out of the swamps and marsh with it freezing or are they still holding deer?

Past experiences have shown that large marshes and swamps will hold even more deer after they freeze up but bedding will be much deeper. Most have already been pushed there from excessive pressure the last month and will remain there till late winter. I have tracked deer late season that traveled 2 miles from bedding to food sources and back again daily.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:29 am

With fresh snow let the fresh sign tell you what areas to concentrate on. The sign will tell you which fields have waste grain the deer are pawing up. I do a lot of glassing from the road and scouting around food sources with weapon in hand. Then I just head toward what bedding those tracks are coming from.

I use trail cameras some late season if I find a mega-food source but not a lot because I want to see something and move in right away not wait for a camera check.

Good bucks are few and far between, holed up in spots that have proven to keep them alive until now, so I try and cover a ton of ground.

Just remember when you are freezing your but off out there late season with snow and cold is a whole lot easier than late season hunting with warm temps!
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:28 am

Dewey wrote:
Hunter74 wrote:Have any of you guy's noticed if it seems a lot of deer have moved out of the swamps and marsh with it freezing or are they still holding deer?

Past experiences have shown that large marshes and swamps will hold even more deer after they freeze up but bedding will be much deeper. Most have already been pushed there from excessive pressure the last month and will remain there till late winter. I have tracked deer late season that traveled 2 miles from bedding to food sources and back again daily.

Thanks for your response. I've seen a couple times where the marsh started to freeze to where there was ice but not thick enough to hold you and the deer pretty much abandoned it. However these times where before gun season and idk if they moved back in after. I do know last year had great hunting on one of these marshes in the late season so I assume pressure does push more deer onto that marsh.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”