Learning valuable lessons

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

Learning valuable lessons

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:48 am

Although I've spent the last several deer seasons going after nice bucks I'm relatively new to targeting a specific buck. When the buck I'm after now started showing up on my trail cameras last year I was optimistic that it was only a matter of time before we crossed paths. Wow was I wrong. I have spent some time pursuing some bucks in other areas this year but primarily I've gone after this deer and probably 1/3 of my hunts have been for him.

Even if I don't end up getting this buck he sure has taught me some lessons. I've been one step behind him all year. It's discussed on here all the time about scouting more than you hunt and sitting back and observing but it's hard to make yourself sit back when you THINK you know exactly where the deer is hiding. I'm guilty of going for it and swinging for the fences when I should be sitting back and trying to gain more Intel. That's lesson one. BE MORE PATIENT.

Friday morning I laid eyes on the buck for the second time this year but it wasn't the encounter I was hoping for. I went over to the farm to place a couple trail cameras out on a field edge. While I was standing there and trying to decide exactly where I wanted it I caught movement on the other side of the small pond between me and the woods and moved a couple steps over to get a better look. It was him and he was high tailing it back into a long strip of woods on the neighboring property. That strip of woods see's no human traffic whatsoever as part of it is owned by the state for a highway project and is considered wildlife sanctuary. That it is for sure. This buck has spent a lot of time back there this year as evidenced by his sign coming in and out on my side. Lesson number two really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone but this really drives it home. THE BUCK IS GOING TO STAY WHERE NO ONE EVER GOES.

I'm not done with this guy. I'm hoping that if I don't get a crack at him this year that what he's taught me will help me kill him next year. By my estimation he's a 5 year old and I'd love to see what he looks like at 6. If it never happens I'm glad I had the chance to learn and hone my skills. The last lesson is, it ain't easy. Especially if they can go where you don't have access.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Learning valuable lessons

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:30 am

Going after a particular buck may be easy for some folks but not for me. I always have the big one in the back of my mind but usually there's a few bucks that will satisfy me on the properties I hunt. Sometimes I won't settle for anything less and a few times (very few) I've been successful. Someone that can do this repeatedly has my upmost respect, that's for sure. Getting them on trail cameras is a whole lot easier than with a weapon. If it were that easy, there wouldn't be any of them left.

Good luck with that guy
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:35 am

:doh: 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:58 am

Might not be able to hunt in the sanctuary, but can you walk in there thru the bedding areas making him feel safer on your side the fence?

Lesson #3... Don't put trail cams where you plan to hunt unless its while your hunting there, or you will spook your buck ;)
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:39 am

dan wrote:Might not be able to hunt in the sanctuary, but can you walk in there thru the bedding areas making him feel safer on your side the fence?

Lesson #3... Don't put trail cams where you plan to hunt unless its while your hunting there, or you will spook your buck ;)

State has no trespassing signs in there and game warden said its a no go. I felt pretty safe setting the camera there because it's right off a farm lane that see's plenty of traffic. I figured he'd already be bedded and wouldn't catch me. I think it was just bad timing and he happened to be there at that moment. I don't know if there was a hot doe right there or what.

He does spend some time on the other side of the farm. I seen him there the first week of November and his sign is over there too. It's tough to hunt over there in late season though once the leaves are gone because the beds are close to the edge and they can see you coming.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”