Buck Beds in Thick Pines

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Buck Beds in Thick Pines

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Anyone know anything about mature bucks bedding in thick pines? I mean real thick, almost inpenetrable. I know deer are going in and out of there because I can see trails and tracks going in and out, but I wonder if a real mature buck would use this to bed and if so, when?

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Buck Beds in Thick Pines

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Yes.. They tend to bed the edges where they can see out into the open and have the thick pines behind them for escape. When they bed in the interior, they tend to find a high spot, or a change in the terrain. But most of the time they are along the transition line.
PLB
500 Club

Re: Buck Beds in Thick Pines

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 am

Thick stands of pines are great bedding areas. Deer absolutely love them! Where available they seem to prefer them over swamps because they are drier! I find great sign every year near thick pine stands up north! Great year round bedding cover! Dan is right about hunting transition lines. If these thick pines are near a logging road however the beds will be deeper in. Look for a transition line into a marsh or bog. I have found that bucks like to bed on the edges of these! Like Dan said they can see a long ways into the open and got escape cover too! I have two similar spots like this where I hunt
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”