More about rubs...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: More about rubs...

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:43 pm

More small bucks. Nothing to write home about.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:44 am

Dan you brought up shelf bedding. Where I'm at in the mountains I think this type of bedding would be more prevalent due to the mountain ridges and plateaus running for miles. Could you go into a little more detail on shelf bedding and what to look for?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:52 am

JMAR85 wrote:Dan you brought up shelf bedding. Where I'm at in the mountains I think this type of bedding would be more prevalent due to the mountain ridges and plateaus running for miles. Could you go into a little more detail on shelf bedding and what to look for?

Any shelf that is over looked... Also look for ones that due to shape actually kind of work as leeward maybe a r0ock out crop or a stand of pines on the up wind side... Sometimes that's hard to recognize for most people, but if you find the overlooked shelves that have good buck sign or beds, that's where I would start. Sometimes its the ones that don't show, or barely show on a topo, especially if your in an area where guys navigate using topo maps and know to look for shelves.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:58 pm

That's great information, thanks.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Yes I would call that a signpost too. Anytime I see sign of bucks doing something year after year I pay attention. But as Dan made clear that doesn't mean blindly hunting over it for no other reason.

Most sign is laid down at night no doubt about it. I look at it as a dot. All dots are important - try to connect them. Is it near buck bedding? Near a major food source? Rut cruising route?

Also, I've watched a 2 year old buck rub a 10" diameter tree. Same with making 6' diameter scrapes. Rub height is what counts if you are looking for older bucks. A nice tall perennial rub...that is more interesting to me.

Hanging a cam over it for a season is a good idea. You can learn so much from that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”