Taking that next step and passing 2.5 year old bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Taking that next step and passing 2.5 year old bucks

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:57 am

I have started to get on to a lot of nicer bucks. As a lot of you have read my scouting time and such is almost zero anymore however. I am having trouble passing decent 2 year old bucks though. I don't know what it is and I have been trying to soul search for the reason. Antlers are not all that important to me, but at the same time I have been getting more opportunities on older deer on the section of PA Public ground I hunt. I know that on any given year there are a few 115-125" bucks and one or two over 130 on that section of public ground. I have been passing little bucks for the last 4 years and took a decent 7 point 2.5 year old buck. IF you read the story I had a 120-130" buck bust me and as I was grunting for him to stop my buck came in and I shot without any hesitation. My buck was decent for the area but not even close in rack size and maturity level as the other buck.

I read the post on Confidence, and think that is what really is holding me back. Not enough confidence that I will get on a nicer buck, and not enough confidence that if I get an opportunity on a 3.5 year old or better buck that I will capitalize. Don't get me wrong I am very happy with the buck I got given the scouting and hunting time I had. So when did you hit the switch and start passing bucks, that you wouldn't in the past. Was it when you shot your first 3.5 year old or better buck, that you thought man this is the caliber of buck that I want to shoot. I am not going to lie, I grab my bow at every deer that comes in. I don't need to kill a buck, or feel less of a hunter if I don't. The weird thing is with gobblers, I wont even think about shooting a jake these days, as I know in a year he will be a long beard. It also isn't the thought that if I don't shoot this deer the next guy will either.

I am thinking that until I shoot my first 3.5 year old or better buck I wont pass the 2.5 year olds. But its a catch 22 because if I don't pass the 2.5 year old I won't get a chance to shoot a 3.5 year old.

For some reason I haven't been able to just turn that switch off yet. Even with all of the chances I have had in recent years on solid 3.5 year old deer. So any tips that help you guys pass them? I do rely on deer meat for my red meat and haven't bought beef in 10 going on 11 years, but want to prove to myself that I do have the skills to harvest a 3.5 year old or better on PA Public land.

Thanks,

Mike

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
MentatArcher

Re: Taking that next step and passing 2.5 year old bucks

Unread postby MentatArcher » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:07 am

Maybe try committing to passing 1 2.5 yo this year, 2 the next year, 3 after that.. until you get a 3+. You might also commit to x number of hunting trips/hrs in total and during the first 60% of that commit to holding off, but the last 40% anything goes. Just need to find some kind of equation you are comfortable with. Otherwise if you are trying to decide what to do as each deer is walking by you.. you are going to drive yourself nuts!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:15 am

Mike, from reading your posts and journal, I think we're kind of similar with little kids at home and having meat be our primary goal in hunting. I think the answer is going into a season and deciding what your goals are before opening day. It seems like in your area getting a doe or two in the freezer isn't much of an issue for you. Do that for meat, and then go into the season knowing you won't kill a 2.5 year old. If you leave the window open in your mind that you may, then you are much less likely to pass. You even say you pick your bow up at everything. It has to be a mental focus that you just won't kill one next year.

It does seem like you are seeing enough bigger deer, that if you stick it out, chances are you will get a crack at one. For me, I have no objections filling one or more of my buck tags on younger deer, but there are properties and hunts where I know I will pass anything that is not mature. This has helped me still be holding a buck tag when the opportunity comes, and it will if you put the work in.

In your case, I'd go into next year and try to get does in the freezer asap, then knowing your meat is taken care of, just set the goal that there is no way you will shoot a buck that is younger than your goal. I think knowing how much meat you want helps too. Like if you know two deer is adequate for your family, and you have two doe tags you are confident you can fill, it will make holding the buck tag easier. Use this year to figure out how much meat you NEED, then you will have that goal established and be less likely to look at a 2,5 year old as backstraps when he comes in if you know you can meet your goals with does.

Stan is the one who always says, you can't shoot a 150 if you shoot a 120, or 3.5/4.5 if you shoot a 2.5. Has to be your goal going in, and hunt accordingly. Maybe you also figure out that you get more enjoyment out of getting a buck than getting a mature buck, and nothing wrong with admitting that either.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:19 am

It really is a personal thing. Progression as a hunter and having the desire to hold out for a better buck.
I've definitely dealt with this. Not that it was an instant switch though. After killing some good 2.5 yr. old bucks and really wanting to progress, AND shooting a couple more 2.5's after that it became a stronger goal. The excitement of having encounters with decent bucks and shooting them had to become second to the desire to do the same with bigger deer.
The most simple and effective way is to adhere to Stanley's Secret to Killing Big Bucks! SHOOT BIG BUCKS.
Despite being a bad judge of age and size when hunting, i've managed to pass the younger ones this year and it has been a lot of fun. I had to settle with the possibility of eating a tag and was good with it.
My days of shooting decent deer has been very enjoyable though and wouldn't trade it for anything. Can see how there may be times when i get excited and take a 2.5 in the future but the progression has taken place now.
I say don't put too much pressure on yourself, especially for social reasons about what to shoot. It is a fun journey so do what makes you personally happy!
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:25 am

bowmike wrote:I have started to get on to a lot of nicer bucks. As a lot of you have read my scouting time and such is almost zero anymore however. I am having trouble passing decent 2 year old bucks though. I don't know what it is and I have been trying to soul search for the reason. Antlers are not all that important to me, but at the same time I have been getting more opportunities on older deer on the section of PA Public ground I hunt. I know that on any given year there are a few 115-125" bucks and one or two over 130 on that section of public ground. I have been passing little bucks for the last 4 years and took a decent 7 point 2.5 year old buck. IF you read the story I had a 120-130" buck bust me and as I was grunting for him to stop my buck came in and I shot without any hesitation. My buck was decent for the area but not even close in rack size and maturity level as the other buck.

I read the post on Confidence, and think that is what really is holding me back. Not enough confidence that I will get on a nicer buck, and not enough confidence that if I get an opportunity on a 3.5 year old or better buck that I will capitalize. Don't get me wrong I am very happy with the buck I got given the scouting and hunting time I had. So when did you hit the switch and start passing bucks, that you wouldn't in the past. Was it when you shot your first 3.5 year old or better buck, that you thought man this is the caliber of buck that I want to shoot. I am not going to lie, I grab my bow at every deer that comes in. I don't need to kill a buck, or feel less of a hunter if I don't. The weird thing is with gobblers, I wont even think about shooting a jake these days, as I know in a year he will be a long beard. It also isn't the thought that if I don't shoot this deer the next guy will either.

I am thinking that until I shoot my first 3.5 year old or better buck I wont pass the 2.5 year olds. But its a catch 22 because if I don't pass the 2.5 year old I won't get a chance to shoot a 3.5 year old.

For some reason I haven't been able to just turn that switch off yet. Even with all of the chances I have had in recent years on solid 3.5 year old deer. So any tips that help you guys pass them? I do rely on deer meat for my red meat and haven't bought beef in 10 going on 11 years, but want to prove to myself that I do have the skills to harvest a 3.5 year old or better on PA Public land.

Thanks,

Mike

It will happen when you are ready. Most guy that pass bucks, are ok with ending the season with an empty tag. That is the #1 thing to remember. It stops becoming about the killing. Its no longer about "I got my buck". And most times, that is a natural progression. Its kind of a confidence thing. When you start seeing the benefits of being patient, its becomes easier to be patient.

I can promise you this. You WILL shoot bigger bucks if you pass smaller ones. It might not be this season. But it will happen. (thats if you have 3.5yr olds around)
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:34 am

Kraftd wrote:
Stan is the one who always says, you can't shoot a 150 if you shoot a 120, or 3.5/4.5 if you shoot a 2.5. Has to be your goal going in, and hunt accordingly. Maybe you also figure out that you get more enjoyment out of getting a buck than getting a mature buck, and nothing wrong with admitting that either.

I thought of Stanley when I read your post.

For me, meat was the goal years ago when I had kids at home and needed the food. I used to think big buck hunting was highly overrated. But I was hungry. When the boys left home and the deer herd grew, I didn't have to try as hard to kill deer, it got easier. Plus i remember a time when we couldn't kill does. I finally decided to not kill a buck unless it was larger than the one I killed last year. I'll admit, passing those first few bucks was kind of hard, but I learned I didn't have to kill a buck to enjoy hunting, even tho I always want to and strive for that. Now days, I have let go of the "bigger than last year" idea and shoot what pleases me. 3.5 yo is my minimum and always try to find the biggest I can. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:00 am

The others hit it well.

You have to ultimately make the choice and go with it.

Get more doe tags if you need more meat.

I drew back on a buck similar to yours the other day...I knew it was my last archery hunt of 2016.

In my ground I'm fairly confident he's a healthy 1.5yo.

I'm just to that point that it'd be killing a buck just because it has horns on its head and I have a few 100" or so racks on the wall.

I decided to stick to the plan..only exception will be if I have the flintlock in my hand. And even then I'm probably sticking to it till actual flintlock season.

I consistently put myself in woods with mature animals. I know I can't kill them when I kill a 80" buck.

But, I have more time to scout...more time to hunt...and honestly I give away many of the deer i shoot.

I won't lie..i love shooting deer. That's the honest truth. Gimme my bow or flintlock and my finger starts itching. I scout for areas with a high doe population and look for people that want deer just because I like shooting deer. I love all the finer points of hunting. My phone is full of sunrises, sunsets and scenery. I've seen awesome stuff while I'm out there and try to never overlook those things. But the honest truth is I love shooting deer and that's why I'm out there...

Doe tags and targets of opportunity take care of the itch for me.

And I don't feel like I'm spooking big bucks. Halloween I shot a longbeard and within an hour a very mature beast stepped out within 10yds of the piled up bird. The rest of the flock didn't miss a beat...a quiet bow helps lol.

Good luck buddy! You gotta make the personal choice at the end of the day.

I'd also recommend a couple trail cams...get pics of a few beasts you never knew existed and passing deer is a little easier knowing those deer are out there.

It's not easy to pass bucks at first... atleast for me it wasn't. Ive been and still don't have what I'd call a big buck to show for it...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:01 am

cbay wrote:I say don't put too much pressure on yourself, especially for social reasons about what to shoot. It is a fun journey so do what makes you personally happy!

This is a key part to. YOU have to want to kill bigger bucks, not just want the guys on the Beast our your friends to know you are capable of it. If you decide to do it for you, it will be much easier than if you're doing it because you see people on social media or here posting monsters and you don't want to be left out.

I will say, the first time you kill a good one and walk up on it, its a pretty addicting feeling.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:16 am

I did get a trail cam this year.

here is the buck that busted me, and then I shot my buck. I knew I would get him on camera in that area. I hunted the area in bear season on Saturday and learned more about how he works and such. Now I am hoping to get a pick of him after rifle, and maybe try and get redemption next year.

I did only pick up one doe tag this year. 2 deer is what I would consider all the meat that I need. So next year I will be picking up 2 doe tags for sure. I don't need to kill a buck, and buck tag soup is not really an issue with me. I think this year was the year that it all clicked for me and i took a step up in my game and confidence. I honestly feel next year I can take it to the next level.

I am confident that I can fill a doe tag early on and it is pretty much my primary focus. I don't have the time to scout beds and such at this point. So I pretty much dedicate my first 3 weeks of archery to doe hunting. Then focus on pre rut and rut for my bucks.

I said going into this year that even if I shot a doe the first legal buck was getting wacked. I did hold out on a few little guys. I don't want to make it seem like I am not happy with my buck, or take anything away from that deer. Heck he was my best buck to date. But now after that adrenaline calmed down a bit, I am stuck with the with that what if feeling. Heck I am sure some of you guys feel that after you shoot a deer much larger than mine.

What if I would have held out. What if that big buck chased a doe by my later that evening. I put my dad on that big buck and he got a sighting of him. He just would not listen to me on how I told him to set up, and the deer was too far for him.

My focus now honestly is to put my sister, second year hunter, who has never taken a deer, on that buck. Heck I am now just addiected to beating him. Wether I pull the trigger or not, I want to know that I either set someone else up to kill him, or was part of why he was killed. Heck there may even be a bigger one out there but I want that one on the ground. LOL
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:21 am

LOL sorry to add more to this, but I took Corbin out shooting my scoped 22 last sunday. We set up a bottle at 15 yards. I more or less held the gun steady, and he sat between my legs and aimed. He hit the thing 12 of 14 times.

So now that really makes things fun as in PA a mentor hunter under the age of 7 does not get a buck tag, or doe tag. The Mentor can transfer his tag to the mentored youth hunter. LOL so it is quite possible that next year Corbin may have a crossbow, and field pod, and use his daddys tag on a spike. LOL My 3.5 year old buck, may be on hold the next 2 years anyway.

And lets add in that I am getting into traditional archery. Not sure if I will be able to hold off on a legal buck if I have the recurve as well. LOL sorry to sound all over the place, but its just the hand I am dealt right now. :lol: :lol:
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:48 am

Kraftd wrote:
cbay wrote:I say don't put too much pressure on yourself, especially for social reasons about what to shoot. It is a fun journey so do what makes you personally happy!

This is a key part to. YOU have to want to kill bigger bucks, not just want the guys on the Beast our your friends to know you are capable of it. If you decide to do it for you, it will be much easier than if you're doing it because you see people on social media or here posting monsters and you don't want to be left out.

I will say, the first time you kill a good one and walk up on it, its a pretty addicting feeling.

It is not about anyone else but me. It is like, I know I can get on them, and one of these times and opportunity will turn into a success. I don't buy into social media stuff. I hunt for me, and If that were the case I probably wouldn't have posted my buck compared to the ones on here. I just know that many of you were in that "tweener" stage where you took the leap of faith and started passing those bucks that years before you wouldn't dream of.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:54 am

bowmike wrote:
Kraftd wrote:

It is not about anyone else but me. It is like, I know I can get on them, and one of these times and opportunity will turn into a success. I don't buy into social media stuff. I hunt for me, and If that were the case I probably wouldn't have posted my buck compared to the ones on here. I just know that many of you were in that "tweener" stage where you took the leap of faith and started passing those bucks that years before you wouldn't dream of.

Kind of figured as much, but also seems like you're pretty happy with your season overall. I think it may just be that the day you actually decide to pass a buck you wouldn't in the past will be when you know you're at the next step for you. Until then enjoy the ride.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:02 am

Here is his bottom jaw. Best I can tell is he is 2.5.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:05 am

Kraftd wrote:
bowmike wrote:
Kraftd wrote:

Kind of figured as much, but also seems like you're pretty happy with your season overall. I think it may just be that the day you actually decide to pass a buck you wouldn't in the past will be when you know you're at the next step for you. Until then enjoy the ride.

I think you nailed it right there. I am super happy with the season and the deer. It will be a ride for sure. LOL

2017 prediction: pass a few of that caliber deer, get antsy, shoot another decent 2.5 year old buck :lol:
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:37 am

Lots of talk about this kind of stuff the last couple of weeks it seems. At the end of the day, if you're happy with what you shoot, its all that matters. If you're not, change it up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”