Are you a hunter or someone who hunts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: Are you a hunter or someone who hunts

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:07 am

seeds wrote:IMO,a "hunter' is someone who thinks about hunting year 'round. Scouting...checking,improving,buying gear...In bowhunting - maybe practices all year. 3D?...

Before I joined an archery club (3D ranges,etc) I saw the guys "who hunt" when I'd stop by the local pubic archery range to shoot a few arrows on autumn days when I didn't have time to hunt. They first get their bow out of storage in mid-October. Shoot a few arrows - half of which hit the "pie plate" at 20yds - say "good enough" and go home.

They don't hunt Sundays 'cuz'a football.

Lots of guys "who hunt" out today. Gun season opener...They gun hunt only and only a few days during the season.

Hunting is not life. I'd never look down on guys "who hunt" but don't make it a life focus. Some rarely shoot anything....But I'd disagree with the term "hunter" connoting anything connected to ethics. I know one guy who has lost his WDNR license privilege yet again. Hunting and fishing is THE focus of his life yet he just can't seem to follow the rules. Big racks and big fish (and the recognition from "bragging rights") are truly an addiction. He IS a hunter and fisherman and a very skilled one at that....and one day he will do substantial jail time because he just has no ethical restraints in harvesting big bucks or gamefish....and I'd be willing to be some on here would know who I'm talking about if I got more specific. To my knowledge he's never been on this site but in regards to bucks and "fish" he's been an attention hound for years....I will add that individual doesn't (to my knowledge) roadhunt. His MO for deer hunting violations is publicly owned land not open to hunting.

My point is if hunting is a major life focus,you're a "hunter". You make sacrifices to hunt.... If it's not really important to you in a big way but you still occasionally hunt,you aren't really a "hunter" but you sometimes go hunting. You'd never really make any substantial sacrifices for hunting.

I bowl but I'm not a bowler...as evidenced by the last two games I bowled last night....and I don't really care that my wife kicked my ---. She's a "bowler"....when I kicked HERS a few weeks ago she was not really happy...because I'm not a bowler....My bowling ball has the image of a big buck on it.

Sounds like a poacher rather than a hunter

[ Post made via Android ] Image

seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:37 am

Ya,he is...sometimes. Usually "legal" but sometimes can't seem to help himself.... And I have no respect for him in that regards. In fact,we are nominally "friends" even though - or maybe because - I turned him in once. That time cost him 2 years of license privilege.

But I think I know what's in his heart in regards to hunting and fishing....and it's a damn shame that he can't seem to get his act together.

Very likeable,very skilled...Very VERY focused on hunting and fishing...and very stupid in some respects.

"Sportsman" I think is the term more accurately used in connection with hunting and fishing ethics.....but I think this is semantics...I'd boil it down to this (IMO) in regards to a hunter vs someone who just "hunts": For me,at least,deer "hunting" season is year 'round but deer KILLING season has specific dates. I do something bowhunting-related every week of the year....Someone "who hunts" doesn't have that year 'round focus.

I had a customer this year demand I work on the bow season opener. I was pissed and I let him know. His response was that it was "too early" to deer hunt anyway. "Real" bowhunters wait until October....I charged him an extra $150 for his impatience....He bowhunts and I'm fairly sure he follows the rules (probably hunts over bait. j/k)... I wouldn't call him much of a hunter though.
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:29 am

Hawthorne wrote:
Ol'DanBoone wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:There's a lot of philosophy written about why we hunt. We are all hunters it's in our DNA

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Sounds like you've read Gene Wendell "come november"??

Yes have the book. Read that and it sounded good to me. Lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hawthorne, i love gene's statement:"i believe 'why' we hunt, is more important than where, when or how."

P.s. *wensel. I kno how to spell and pronounce his name, apparently auto correct doesnt believe i kno of whom i speak. Hahaha

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:16 pm

I am a "hunter", who strives someday to be a "killer"!

Though I have killed many deer (bucks & doe's), I am not in the same class as the "killers" on this forum.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”