How far from doe bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

How far from doe bedding

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:29 am

How far downwind of doe bedding do you normally sit? How far is too far to be effective? Is there a sweet spot distance?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
magicman54494
500 Club

Re: How far from doe bedding

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:35 am

distance is not the deciding factor for me. I know bucks can smell a doe in heat from a 1/2 mile away. How I would approach it is to set up on the downwind edge, whatever distance that happens to be. The buck will most likely cruse the edge as he scent checks the area.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:41 am

I agree that distance is not the biggest factor that I look at. I kind of try to gauge it on how the bucks are acting and what I am hearing from buddies. if the bucks are cruising in my mind they want and easily accessable terrain to scent check as much of an area as possible. The doe bedding I decided on I was about 20 yards from the clearcut I thought the does would be bedding on. I thought that the bucks would use the secluded old logging road and scent check by using that, no real issues with travling that road and if the wind was blowing across the clear cut they would smell any in there. I also figured that if I was set up off of that clear cut I could hear or see bucks using it and try to call them out.

I would say my best advice, for what it is worth, is to find the best travel corridor down wind of doe bedding. Worked for me so im sticking to it. LOL!! :dance:
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:52 am

Left view

Front view

Right view.

As mentioned above I am on the edge of the thicket. I would consider that whole thicket to be doe bedding.

Here is a quick youtube clip of the does that came in. Mainly a mom and her dinks. But I actually found a nice oak tree that was dropping acorns on that old logging road. There was deer sign around it so I figured I would have the best of both worlds if I could just find a tree near there.

https://youtu.be/EaLXbvpk590

They came from the right of me and walked right up that tram. They fed on acorns and walked right into the thicket. Perfect for the layout I wanted. A buck cruising that tram would smell that doe, assuming she was in heat, and follow her path. A perfect shot for me. Luckily she was in heat and when I missed my buck on the first shot he stopped, and sniffed right where big momma was.

I agree with the above, set up on the edge of the cover you feel they are bedding.

If you look at the topo you can see where I am set up on the little nub of a contour line. I feel that is that old logging road, but it gave the bucks a nice easy travel to scent check those does.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:02 am

I like to be able to shoot the edge, or into the bedding.

mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks BM, great illustration.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:52 pm

I would be concentrating on how the buck is going to enter and exit and the stand would be placed as close as possible. Downwind would not be as much a factor, as long as I could set up without being busted. a lot of the time cruising bucks take the side does enter and exit from rather than down wind. They can smell the trails and know if a doe in heat is in there. If cruising and exit/entrance is down wind, well then your golden.

I think right now if your after a big buck rather than a nice one they are in the bedding areas with the does more than cruising right now. A good stand pick where you can see in and make a move the next day is a good choice.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:18 am

dan wrote:I would be concentrating on how the buck is going to enter and exit and the stand would be placed as close as possible. Downwind would not be as much a factor, as long as I could set up without being busted. a lot of the time cruising bucks take the side does enter and exit from rather than down wind. They can smell the trails and know if a doe in heat is in there. If cruising and exit/entrance is down wind, well then your golden.

I think right now if your after a big buck rather than a nice one they are in the bedding areas with the does more than cruising right now. A good stand pick where you can see in and make a move the next day is a good choice.

This ties in with what I've seen the last 4 days. I've seen 14 bucks in 3-4 days and all but 2 were 130 and under. One the 2 that appeared to be really big had a busted up rack. The other was locked up with a doe. All the cruisers were younger. I gotta get closer in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”