Anyone ever heard a pig blow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IkemanTx
500 Club

Anyone ever heard a pig blow?

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:24 pm

So here in north Texas we have wild pigs coming out of our ears. They run deer off food sources, take over prime bedding, and root up and wallow open fields so bad you will sprain at least one ankle a season.

So, I was walking this property today that was basically a hundred acres of purely pig sign. I was almost done with covering it and was already in "head home" phase and wasn't as stealthy as I should have been and jumped a lone boar hog. I got close enough to kinda see him twice, so I am positive it was a pig. Solid black, short, stunk, a couple snorts... the works. I don't think he ever really got a good idea of what I was, maybe because of the ghillie suit or maybe because I was vocalizing like a pig.... but, the second time I bumped him, he ran off about 30 yards out in some real thick stuff and he blew. It sounded EXACTLY like a deer.

I grew up with pigs around and I have never heard one blow like a deer. Please tell me someone else has heard them do this, because I kinda feel like I have lost it. Has anyone else heard them blow?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Anyone ever heard a pig blow?

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:16 pm

I've never heard one blow exactly like a doe. I've heard them cough like and old man that smoked 3 packs a day for the last 50 years!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:21 am

We cut the dogs loose one night on a big track we knew was a big boar hog. They trailed around for 20 minutes, and one dog finally worked it out and jumped him. The dog let out one bark and that boar hog hit him coming out of his bed, and stood there and blew twice loud as anything, and charged the dog again and then it was off to the races.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:41 pm

I actually have, I was watching a solo boar feed (didn't have bow with me scouting like a big dummy) I eventually got to close, he saw me move, then circled down wind, stopped, caught my scent, then hauled tail outta there and he blew 3-4 times almost sounding exactly like a big ole doe. I've had plenty of dealing jumping hogs and other then that 1 time i've never heard them blow like that. To be honest I kind of felt the same way as you, I can't ever recall hearing someone else say they heard them blow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”