How do YOU think the warm temps affect mature bucks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

How do YOU think the warm temps affect mature bucks?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:59 am

Im talking actual, real world, experience, actually seen in the field. What have you seen the differences being during a warm front early November?

Being that its Nov 1st, and 75 deg in Michigan, I cant decide what to think.

I cant remember seeing mature bucks this warm out, but my BIL shot a giant last Sat and it was really warm here. It came in hot and busted up a large doe group.

The best I can come up with is the doe families will get up from bed later, closer to dark, so any following bucks will be later as well. I just don't see big bucks out in the warm temps before the sun starts to set.

Dewey

Re: How do YOU think the warm temps affect mature bucks?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:25 am

Focus on mornings if it's warm. It can happen anytime but when real warm out your odds are best during the coolest part of the day. Especially around 8-9 am when they start cruising looking for bedded does. After noon it slows way down but doesn't hurt to sit all day anyway. We wait all year for this time so it's time well spent.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:02 am

It slows it down but does not stop anything, I have seen nice bucks shot at high noon at 70 degrees. We just need to be a little mentally tougher when it comes to staying put, it can happen any time.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:04 am

Agree the above.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:11 am

I have this personal theory of mine. I think the big buck states are better known because they are typically cooler during the rut, therefore more active deer and more hunters capitalizing on that. I think once you get south of the Mason-Dixon Line, temps are typically warmer, suppressing movement. I don't think the really big bucks are just in the northern states- I think more are getting killed there because of weather-related movement factors. I have no facts to base this opinion, but simply just a theory of mine only.

We have a cold front coming in later this week in Oklahoma with highs topping out around 70! We're excited about it! It's near a record 85 today.....

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:27 am

Same temps in SC - mid-80s with low-70s/high-60s coming this weekend. getting excited.

The 80s put the deer on nocturnal where I hunt in SC. 80s during the day and the cameras went from daytime pics to almost all nighttime. Warmer weather affects them.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 am

Facebook reminded me of a hunt from a year ago. I had my winter coat and pants on in the pic. It was significantly cooler last bow season with several rain systems. I remember my wife wanting firewood in October too. Im in basketball shorts now. The weather has been very hot and very dry for west tn. I managed to kill one doe so far this season, but I have struggled to even see many deer so far this bow season. I have gone out regardless of weather most afternoons and weekends. It's been a tough bow season for sure. With all the prep work, studying, post season scouting then light pre season scouting, added with 5 years of other good bow spots, I had. I honestly thought my chances would have been much better this bow season. At a minimum I would usually see several small bucks cruising around. Most of the beds I have hunted this season don't seem to have any activity so far.

Honestly, I'm thankful for the doe. Most of my buddies seem to have been struggling too. I haven't seen deer from the roads much at all, and when I do it's been only at night. If deer are moving during daylight I don't think it's very far. Youth hunt also seemed to produce low harvest numbers.

Maybe they know that ruts coming soon and they are in full blown bulk up save energy mode combined with hot weather they are waiting for the cooler times of the day to move. I'm ready for a change of weather!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Sneeek'n'Around

Unread postby Sneeek'n'Around » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:20 pm

From past seasons ive hunted ohio for a annual trip and i can recall yrs with above normal temps are sightings and daytime activity dropped. I am also from mi i was looking to head out and came pretty close to going but didnt when i seen the temps. Tho i have seen good bucks taken today morning and tonight on other sites. Making me wish i would have gone.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:20 pm

So I've wondered about this myself having seen plenty of bucks over the years here in FL chasing in 85f+ degree weather, but I see a LOT more chasing in >50f. We have such a diverse rut across the state depending on geography that hunting is crazy.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”