NEED ADVICE ASAP

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SHoff10

NEED ADVICE ASAP

Unread postby SHoff10 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:49 am

So I shot my target buck this am. It was a little bit of a farther shot, but I am confident out to that distance. At spot of impact there is a lot of gray hair and my arrow was stuck in the ground. My arrow only had very little blood on the fletching. We didn't find blood for 50 yards and then we found a 5 foot strip of drops. The blood is bright red and very thin. Almost watery blood. Well we started tracking 2 hours after the shot and we jumped him about 150 yards from point of impact. There's a lot of bright red blood in his bed and he wasn't moving the greatest. Went into a thicket. I need to know if I should keep pushing this deer or back out.

Pics to come soon.

Thanks for the help!

“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
SHoff10

Re: NEED ADVICE ASAP

Unread postby SHoff10 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:53 am

“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:53 am

If it was me and I knew where he was I would sit back and observe from a distance for a few hours. I'm not sure where you hit him but the times I've pushed the deer the recovery was very difficult. I'm sure others will bring good advice soon.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
SHoff10

Unread postby SHoff10 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:00 am

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:03 am

Pass through shot? Any idea where the arrow impacted the deer?

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:04 am

Bright red, watery blood tells me flesh wound. Where do you think you hit him?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
SHoff10

Unread postby SHoff10 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:09 am

He was a ways out and I thought he ducked my arrow so I thought I could have hit him higher. The thing that has me wondering is that when we jumped him out of his bed, he didn't move at a very quick pace to get out of trouble. He didn't jump up and take off like a bat out of . He pretty much just slowly walked into thicker stuff. He was a tiny tiny bit quartering to me so I aimed a little left of his front shoulder. I aimed for his center mass. I think complete pass through because my arrow was lodged slightly in the ground. Arrow had basically no blood on it but all 3 fletching had a smear of blood.

Will a flesh wound bleed this much?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:16 am

I've always believed, "When in doubt, back out". Pushing wounded deer is never recommended! You know where you last saw him, give him 5-6 hours. I always assume it's a lethal shot until signs show me otherwise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:20 am

Any time Ive encountered an arrow like that it is a muscle hit. If you got blood still u may want to get on him. If he is hurting he will bed again. You may be able to get a shot. Usually they clot up n blood peters out n they live to see another day. However if you hit anything with a good artery you may find him. Good luck.

Last edited by oldrank on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricetime

Unread postby ricetime » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:22 am

tgreeno wrote:I've always believed, "When in doubt, back out". Pushing wounded deer is never recommended! You know where you last saw him, give him 5-6 hours. I always assume it's a lethal shot until signs show me otherwise.

+1....For sure back out.....Good Luck!
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:59 am

Words to live by: When in doubt, back out.

Come back later in the afternoon or the next morning. If he walked off after you shot him like you said, that would lead me to believe vitals with gut shot. Give him some time.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:01 am

tgreeno wrote:I've always believed, "When in doubt, back out". Pushing wounded deer is never recommended! You know where you last saw him, give him 5-6 hours. I always assume it's a lethal shot until signs show me otherwise.

If you're not confident knowing where you hit him, then I'd for sure give him several hours to expire. 6 or more.

Plan your recovery. If you don't locate him, search near bedding areas, water etc.

Best of luck man, I hope it turns out for you

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:03 am

If he is not risking going where you can't track, I would push him hard.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:04 am

How far was the shot? Was he in grass where you couldn't see the hit? I'm thinking you hit in front of the shoulder through the brisket.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:14 am

Guts or liver, or boundarys WAIT.... Chest, shoulders, legs, rump, PUSH. I HAVE GOTTEN AS MANY DEER FROM WAITING AS I RECOVERED BECAUSE I HAVE PUSHED. Its all a matter of where you hit it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”