Tracking this morning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Guernsey Milk

Tracking this morning

Unread postby Guernsey Milk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:06 am

My brother came home from Wausau this weekend to hunt with me. He's 23 and just moved there for his first big boy job. I just hung a stand stand on a funnel in from the corner of an alfalfa field. It is a swampy creek bottom but the stands is on a little bit higher and dryer runway where a rub and scrape line just exploded in the last week. This was the first time anyone has hunted it and the north west wind was just good enough. He literally just got in the stand it was about 4:15 and attached his safety harness when he grabbed his bow to take off his quiver and he noticed the buck coming in on a trot. He quickly knocked an arrow and mouth bleated a few times at him but he didn't stop and continued to pass through spotting lanes. He did a loud half yell and when the buck still didn't stop he made up his mind he would have to take the shot with him on the move when the buck hit his last opening at about 12 yards. He pulled ahead to a tree and when the buck hit his pin he pulled the trigger. He immediately knew the hit him back but thought he could have been quartering away a little. The buck turn into thick cover and stood for a while before bedding down at about 60 yards. His head was low and not moving much and after about 20 minutes he stood up before bedding right back down. When he did this my brother could see guts hanging from underneath him. After another half hour he finally stood up again and slowly walked out of sight with head very low and mouth wide open. My brother said he could now see the exit hole and it looked to be softball size with guts hanging out. My brother finally got down and snuck out. There was a little debate about going after him last night with worry coyotes may bump him. We decided in that wet swamp that was at least a little bit unlikely (no science or experience behind this theory). The buck went towards the creek and we're hoping we will go in this morning and he will be dead before having made it there. Any thoughts or tips on if we made the right decision and what we may want to consider while taking him this morning would be appreciated! We're going after him at 9 this morning so that gives him about 17 hours since the hit. Wish us luck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by Guernsey Milk on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

justin84
500 Club

Re: Tracking this morning

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:10 am

Good luck! Hope you find him.

This happened to me last December and I rushed in like an idiot, pushed him further and never found him. Had I left him he probably would have died where he bedded down. You definitely made the right call.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by justin84 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:11 am

My guess is dead in or right next to the creek

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:14 am

jmaas07 wrote:My guess is dead in or right next to the creek

X2
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:18 am

He's dead. No doubt about it. They can't live through a gut shot, they go septic.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:25 am

Good luck tracking, letting him sit over night is the right decision.

Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:38 am

Good luck out there. He's dead.
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:43 am

Good luck, I too think letting him sit was the best decision. A couple of years ago, a guy stopped at my parents farm and said he saw a big buck that was injured run across their field. My dad took him across the field but couldn't find him. I guessed he went into the neighbors property which I had permission to hunt. The next day I saw the buck, with intestines dragging on the ground, walking 20 yards behind me, unfortunately I couldn't get a shot off. He was being followed closely by two other big bucks. It was a sickening feeling watching that buck walk off being injured like that, and I think that was the third day since he was hit, so bucks can live after being hit in the guts. But with a softball size exit hole, I think that buck is down for the count! Good luck!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:38 am

Good luck!!!
Guernsey Milk

Unread postby Guernsey Milk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:53 am

Well we got him! Only went about 59 yards after that last bed. I will post a picture but I am having some issues with photo bucket.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:01 am

Guernsey Milk wrote:Well we got him! Only went about 59 yards after that last bed. I will post a picture but I am having some issues with photo bucket.

Great news!!

braveheart

Unread postby braveheart » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:12 am

Congratulations!
A never ending quest for knowledge and absorption of nature through hunting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:14 am

Never push gut hits... Fatal, and the pain makes them want to lay right down. If you got a little liver he will head to water. Sometimes you find them floating. Wait at least 12 hours coyotes or not.
Guernsey Milk

Unread postby Guernsey Milk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:17 am

He is pretty happy. I think it's probably his latest buck to date.

Last edited by Guernsey Milk on Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:26 am

You did the right thing. You will find the buck. He should bed down and then stay if uninterrupted. May have to do a little grid tracking but the buck is dead remember that. Good job on waiting, hard to do but must do on gut and liver hits. Let us know when you find him.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”