I can't believe what I did tonight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

I can't believe what I did tonight

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:48 pm

I went to hunt a 4.5 year old tonight in my best spot. It's a spot that has everything a mature buck needs in a small area but for whatever reason nobody hunts this 200 x 150 yard or so area which is really hard to find around here since there are so many people that hunt this public piece. So I'm walking out and I see this guy looking around with a climber on his back up ahead of me a ways and I start to panic because I'm afraid he's going to go into my spot. I pick up my pace and when I get to him I talk with him a couple minutes. He has never been there before and was just looking for a place to hunt for the evening since he had to work today. Then he was going to go up north into the antler restriction area for tomorrow. Since he didn't know where he was going he said he would let me choose where I wanted and he would go somewhere else. I went further where he had been headed and he stayed back. However, in my haste to catch up to him I didn't pay close attention to my surrounds. After I walked a ways further I realized that we weren't where I thought we were when we had been talking. Ultimately what happened was I effectively sent him into my spot. I couldn't believe how I could make such a boneheaded mistake. All I could do is hope that because he had a climber that he would make too much noise and wouldn't see the mature buck. The guy was a nice guy and had said he would wait for me after dark so when I got back he was sitting there waiting and proceeded to tell me about the scrapes and huge buck he seen. He said most people hunt a lifetime and never see a buck that big. He couldn't get a shot but now he knows about the buck. He said the heck with going up north and he left his climber on the tree. He's going to be back there in the morning and if he doesn't get him then he will be back there in the evening. I'm pretty sure this guy will be back yearly now. Especially if he kills this buck.

I have never seen anybody hunting there in the past, but now I'm fairly sure that I just put the screws to myself and my secret is no longer a secret. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Re: I can't believe what I did tonight

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:34 pm

That sucks! Crazy the things one does to cover one's tracks, sometimes just doesn't work out.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:46 pm

Not easy to get in public land...
But, you always can find multiple good location to be able to switch...
Good luck!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Huntoholic
Facebook: Garrickpfromthe603@yahoo.com

Unread postby Huntoholic » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:48 pm

Ouch that hurts! Try to anticipate where he may change beds to to avoid the new guy. A mature buck is probably not going to hang around a climber left at the bottom of a tree.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:26 pm

Maybe your kindness will return a favor to you sometime.... In the meantime that really sucks losing a great spot. Hope he doesn't talk to other's about it or you will have a zoo

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:44 am

Well now you know that buck will probably relocate. Have any idea where he might go next?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:47 am

That's does suck. Sometimes things just don't work out lol

Make It Happen
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:59 am

I can't say that doesn't suck, it does.. but please allow me to play devils advocate.

He was already in the right area and it is public land. Right? Was it dumb luck on his part? Maybe, but it doesn't matter. He has just as much right to it as you or I do. He also sounds like a nice guy. At least he wasn't some dirt bag. Thats a huge bonus in my eyes.

If you see him again, perhaps turn him on to this site and explain how you were after that buck already and that you won't stop him from hunting it, because you can't, but you'd like to see him not booger up either of your chances.

In the meantime, don't give up on the big buck. Lots of guys know of and see big bucks, killing them is another story.

Then again, I usually keep this site a secret from people I meet around my stomping grounds. LOL

Good luck!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:00 am

That's a bummer for sure.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:28 am

Wow. That was a big oops.

But you're chance encounter could end up better down the road. Life is so unpredictable. I hope you can shake it off.
Stay positive so the rest of the season goes well. Rooting for you.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 am

Loose lips, sink ships... My mom always told me not to talk to strangers. ;)
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:55 am

dan wrote:Loose lips, sink ships... My mom always told me not to talk to strangers. ;)

Yeah right Dan we all know it was Rick Springfield who told you don't talk to strangers.......,.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 am

Sounds like he's going to over hunt the spot. So the buck will probably not be back anyway....
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:35 am

Huntoholic wrote:Ouch that hurts! Try to anticipate where he may change beds to to avoid the new guy. A mature buck is probably not going to hang around a climber left at the bottom of a tree.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

X 2 if he's gonna hunt that much he'll burn it. The worst part is since he came clean away, he'll never believe you found it first.

wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:38 am

Thats tuff man like said maybe karma will repay with big dividends wishing you the best

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Earn what’s never given.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”