Boots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
bwwma

Re: Boots

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:37 pm

Get some boot blankets, once you get to your stand put them on over your boots

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:48 pm

SneakyHunter wrote:One problem might be your core is actually getting cold. Maybe you're already doing this but make sure you're wearing a neck gaiter, heavy knit hat and good base layers. Here's a quote to explain

"It's part of your natural physiology and method for regulating body temperature: Your body temp is controlled by the hypothalamus, the thermostat in your brain. When you’re exposed to cold, your body pulls blood away from your skin in closer to your core. As the blood—and accompanying heat—rush to warm your vital organs, your extremities are left cold."

Thats a good thought I sweat like a hog sometimes on my way out then freeze then the next time I wont wear as much so I dont sweat then I still freeze. Ugh

Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:49 pm

bwwma wrote:Get some boot blankets, once you get to your stand put them on over your boots

Ok I'll check cabelas thx

Earn what’s never given.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Boot blankets work well, especially with heat packs.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:08 am

wolfie729 wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:I wear my mucks if it's cold and I expect to get wet, lacrosse ice kings for real cold and dry. Biggest thing that helps me cuz I sweat easy is putting regular socks on inside a gallon ziplock for the walk in and putting on my wool socks at the stand.

How do those muck boots hold up?

To be honest not very good, but I seem to be the only guy who doesn't like muck boots. the rubber bottoms have a couple holes from brush and the tops are a little beat up, when they wear out I'll probably try to find rubber with a removable liner, but with size 14 I don't usually have many options

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:32 am

Warm weather - muck woody sports. Cold weather - much woody elites... maybe with some toe warmers if it frigid.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:13 am

Arctic Shield boot warmers. Work excellent for me and easy to pack by just strapping on treestand or roll up in my pockets. I save heavy pac boots for the real extreme cold well below zero.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 pm

Get a polypropylene liner sock and put a smartwool wool sock over that. My feet sweat like no other but I always have warm feet cause my feet are dry. And I wear the el cheapo fleet farm rubber boots 90% of the time. Wet wool is still warm wool and the liner socks take every bit of moisture from your feet. Cabelas has a 2 pack for like 12 bucks
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Jonny wrote:Get a polypropylene liner sock and put a smartwool wool sock over that. My feet sweat like no other but I always have warm feet cause my feet are dry. And I wear the el cheapo fleet farm rubber boots 90% of the time. Wet wool is still warm wool and the liner socks take every bit of moisture from your feet. Cabelas has a 2 pack for like 12 bucks

Thanks I'll check them out

Earn what’s never given.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Muck Boot Woody Max. Solid sole for putting up sticks and they are warm. Going on 7 years hundreds of miles. Got flex holes in first layer of Rubber but don't leak.

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:00 am

I picked up some "boot suits" this year since I cannot even put on a boot with my broken leg and man do they work great.

They seem to be a bit more bulky than others I have seen but to me that does not matter. They also have an inner layer that is water proof and that came in really handy on Saturday for me. They also have two pouches inside for hand warmers if needed.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
MentatArcher

Unread postby MentatArcher » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:48 am

A lot of times when I've got a long hike, I'll wear just a medium weight basic wool sock that will basically be soaked by the time I'm done walking. Then I'll just swap out my socks right at the tree for a dry pair (or two) for the sit. Dry is warm for me.

I got a pair of pac boots from Wiggy's and love them.. feet go from being the coldest part of my body to the warmest. They are water proof to about 10-12in or so. No always enough, but better than basic leather. They also have removable liners that can be bought seperately.. keep a pair in the car if you are doing back to back hunts.

Some days when you've been freezing for a couple days and you just can't seem to get warm no matter what any kind of warmers can be wonderful.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:12 pm

staying dry is a huge deal....doesn't matter if it's a boot or your clothes, if you sweat of get wet, you're gonna get cold. I've used basic cotton pants and long sleeve shirt walking in on a cold morning then stripping down and dressing at my stand....stayed nice and toasty doing this....no matter how cold it is, I will sweat walking in. Same with your feet...if you get them sweaty or they get wet in a creek and it's cold, you're gonna freeze...I use the arctic shield boot covers and they work great. below 30 i'll use a hand warmer in them....they work great without shoes too.....DO NOT use with rubber boots....your feet have to breathe for the material to reflect back the heat/warmth. A lighterweight non-insulated boot or shoe works best. Also for you guys that hunt in snow/ice, make sure you have none of that on your boots, else they will act as coolers and your feet will freeze.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Danners when it's dry land
Mucks or hips or waders when wet
I get cold feet. Longer sits i may put a hand warmer on my feet inside the boot. Indiana gets cold but not like some northern states.

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
megwan

Unread postby megwan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:28 pm

If I'm not walking a long way I wear my baffin titans,feet have never been cold in them. Last couple years I've had the heater body suit so I just wear my 800 gram danner pronghorns. A little tip, go pick up some of the cheap polyester dress socks and put them on under your wool socks. Cheaper and less bulky than under armour. Told my buddies about it they couldn't believe that thin of a sock could help that much. Goy mine at walmart.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”