A Novice Beast Update

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matt1336
500 Club

Re: A Novice Beast Update

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:20 am

The learning curve is short with you perch. It's gonna happen, keep at it

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:09 pm

25 days hunted so far. Haven't seen horns since I missed the one with the bow. I hunted rifle season hard. Put on many miles tracking, scouting and still hunting. Sat spots each evening and a few mornings. Made drives the last few days of the season as well. Was on a nice buck track one day for a few miles, caught up to him once but couldn't confirm his size or get a shot. Saw many deer considering the local herd numbers and compared to previous years sightings. I was pretty sour last Sunday when rifle season closed that I didn't get a buck. However, I learned an incredible amount about the areas I hunt. I really began to better understand the phrase "scout more, hunt less" and why. There's still a little time left that I can get out with the bow, we'll see what happens.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:59 pm

perchsoup wrote:25 days hunted so far. Haven't seen horns since I missed the one with the bow. I hunted rifle season hard. Put on many miles tracking, scouting and still hunting. Sat spots each evening and a few mornings. Made drives the last few days of the season as well. Was on a nice buck track one day for a few miles, caught up to him once but couldn't confirm his size or get a shot. Saw many deer considering the local herd numbers and compared to previous years sightings. I was pretty sour last Sunday when rifle season closed that I didn't get a buck. However, I learned an incredible amount about the areas I hunt. I really began to better understand the phrase "scout more, hunt less" and why. There's still a little time left that I can get out with the bow, we'll see what happens.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I'm enjoying your journal. Persistence pays. Good luck man

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Got it done tonight! I hunted a new spot on a small piece of public land that sees very high pressure year round. I found the spot on Christmas Eve. Told the wife I'd take the dog out to run in the woods a little before the holidays as he'd wouldn't get any exercise during the next few days(aka scouting mission). I parked at the corner and walked the south line. I immediately found heavy trails leading to a bait pile I could see just beyond the line, behind a shack on private. I continued along the south line and found beds on the little hills in the balsams. Another bait pile on public a 40 to the east of the first bait pile, also the corner of the public. It looked like mostly doe bedding on the hills. I back tracked and took note of tracks coming out of the swamp on private, south of the line. I suspected this more bedding, maybe where a buck would bed. This spot was about in the middle between the two bait piles. Tonight was a south wind so I set up right off that little swamp to try to cover it if something came out. 20 minutes before dark a fawn comes from the east and as I'm watching her I notice movement in the swamp. A doe and two fawns make their way out of the swamp and east up towards that bait I suspect. Just about when they get out of range a buck comes out and is heading the same direction. I correctly judge the yardage this time, and make a 30 yard shot. 2.5 year old 6 point. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how.

I can't thank this site, all the guys that post and Dan enough. The Beast has really opened my eyes to things I wouldn't have seen or been too scared to try because I was stuck in my old patterns. I am very grateful for this, and the ability and opportunities to hunt. This year has been tons of fun and quite the learning curve.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:28 pm

Congrats on the buck......way to stick with it! :clap:
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Congratulation and great journal!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Not all those who wander are lost...
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Congrats!!!!! Nice to see your persistance has paid off!!!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:48 pm

That was more than just perseverance. You had scouting, dedication, you sound very intelligent, we read along as your confidence grew, then you had to execute the shot. Well Done congrats on the well earned buck, Can't wait to see the pic.

You learned how to kill a buck BEAST style, I am sure you can learn to post the pic ;) .
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:56 am

Alright! :clap:
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:20 am

CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Nice job! Way to stick with it! That is a good buck.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Congrats, great buck!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:24 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Happy for you man! Congrats on a great kill! Late season is no joke... you have plenty to be proud of!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:00 am

:handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft: 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Didn't mean to post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”