Losing Confidence

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Losing Confidence

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Well I've changed bows this past summer and have had three separate opportunities to draw blood this season. Every shot at a deer has been a miss, from operator error to clipping twigs to having a loose screw on my rest. I have yet to hit a deer with this new bow and to be honest I've lost almost all confidence in it.. it really almost seems cursed at this point since these problems only seem to happen in the woods.

I'm assuming that I am not the only one with this much bad luck for one season so I'm looking for some advice to build confidence in this bow. Seems silly but on the range I can hit wherever I want but throw a live deer into the equation and I'm pulling the trigger with a "what's going to happen this time" mentality. I'm going to hit the woods pretty hard and attempt to shoot a doe before November, I can somewhat tolerate missing a doe but if the next missed shot is a buck I'm tossing this bow out of the tree :lol:

Any tips on building confidence in a bow?

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Edcyclopedia

Re: Losing Confidence

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:41 pm

All 3 are controllable.

Errors do happen, repetition will help alleviate.
Twigs should / can be trimmed.
Go back and lock tight the crap out of everything.

Kill deer!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Single pin sight or multi?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Sneeek'n'Around

Unread postby Sneeek'n'Around » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:47 pm

I find pratice drawing and aiming on game helps some if not a deer but something different such as a spot on a tree, squirrel or anything to build reputation while in the woods. But as far as practice blind 5 yrd shots with your eyes closed helps form and muscle memory, and i personly shoot longer distances for practice twice as much or more than i do at closer ranges.shoting from 40 to 60 help me take the flaws out of my form. The other thing you can try is to build or make a mental check list of steps you need to take before the shot, place obstructions between you and target making it a challenge and walk though your check list before the shot. I always was told to shoot or aim for the flea on the hair of the deer.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:49 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:All 3 are controllable.

Kill deer!

Ed's right. Every situation was preventable. One thing for sure is if it can go wrong more than likely it will at the worst possible time. You need to almost be obsessive compulsive about your equipment and shooting technique to eliminate everything that can possibly go wrong.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Look at it as glass half full...ur on deer!!!

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Well that's un settling to hear bc I upgraded too and lost a buck the other night. I believe I hit a twig as well but I'm not 100% sure what happened but it was a meat shot when all I had to shoot at was the kill zone. Either way now you got me thinking too... my vote is finish the season and decide if your comfortable w it, that's what my plan is. I haven't been really comfortable w mine and iv been shooting it since spring.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Single pin sight or multi?

Single pin

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:06 pm

brkissl82 wrote:Look at it as glass half full...ur on deer!!!

Boy you ain't kiddin! Good luck for them though!

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:09 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:All 3 are controllable.

Kill deer!

Amen! I bought a small target to bring with me to shoot before every hunt.
I'm not going to shoot past 25 yards in thicker areas
Routine maintenance is now my go-to. I'm also marking all of my rests & sights so if it's off I will know immediately.

It's seriously bittersweet and I've been down for most of the day because of it but I'm really thankful it happened now when I'm after does and not actually missing a big buck. Had I missed (another) big buck I don't think the bow would be coming out of the woods with me...

MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:17 pm

I've been checking out John Dudley on Nock on TV on YouTube and his podcast. He's a wiz at correcting technique and helping with other gremlins that affect shots. He's an avid bowhunter and coaches archery professionally. Might be worth a shot.

wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Go blind bale shoot for 20min a day that will get your mind back in the game. Shooting a bow well has nothing to do with what brand bow/rest/sight you shoot its about doing the same thing everytime, repeatability and consistancy is key to being a good bow shot. Go blind bale shoot that will get you used to the feeling without thinking about it. When I shoot a deer i never force the shot i draw put the pin on point and the bow just goes off it. Blind bale shooting is a great way to get outside of your head I've been where u are it's a tuff place but that will help you not force the shot so to speak and if you miss just look at it as well the good lord didnt want me to have that deer he must have other plans, and move on it happens to everyone but when you let it inside your head to much thats when it becomes a problem hope this helps.

Earn what’s never given.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Sounds like bad juju. It's just in your head now. It'll happen. You could get your bow blessed or see a shrink about it. I wouldn't fret about it though. It'll happen soon.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:46 pm

The small things is what separates success from failure. :think: Work on getting the new bow set up properly and you'll do better. Next one may go down with ease.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:37 pm

Yep sounds mental, especially if you are wondering what will go wrong next when you see a deer. A little bad luck is getting into your head now and basically you are messing with yourself. Check your gear, shoot your bow and most importantly the next time you see a deer tell yourself this shot will be perfect, my gear is fine, wait for a clear shot and put one down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”