Tips for climbing crooked tree with your Lone wolf?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Tips for climbing crooked tree with your Lone wolf?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:22 am

burkhart wrote:dewey that's a BA setup, strips, talons, seat, the whole shebang :clap:

She's built for comfort not speed. ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Something Ive learned the hard way...this goes for any tree really but especially crooked ones or when you need to spiral up a tree for correct position. Your gear ropes! For most of my hunting career I used a summit viper. Good stand but nothing like a LW of course...Having ropes tied to my belt loops and gear on the ground was never an issue. I climbed relatively straight up and then pulled my gear up. Well then I started with the hang and hunt loc on method. First 3 seasons were nothing but learning! Last year I got put into a weird situation. Climbed a crooked tree and spiraled a bit while I climbed. When I got up there and went to pull my gear up it was all hung up in my sticks and actually knocked a stick sideways. I had to climb back down and fix that mess! I now use a grappling hook that I had a buddy custom make for me and I drop it down and grab my gear after I'm up the tree. I love that thing already! Long story but something to keep in mind for sure!!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:57 pm

Like the last post I hook my gear once up. Pay close attention to where you lay your bow. Somehow I have had mine straight below my platform and that was pretty annoying. Supposed to be hunting not fishing, lol.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”