Tips for climbing crooked tree with your Lone wolf?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

msw08d

Tips for climbing crooked tree with your Lone wolf?

Unread postby msw08d » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Hey guys just got my first lone wolf stand and let me tell you it is sweet. I'm stealth stripped, inner-tubed, molle strapped and ready to roll. Can climb a a straight tree silently and in no time. Being a newbie I was wondering if you guys have any tips when it comes to climbing crooked trees. Seems like this may make it more time consuming and make it a little more difficult. Looking forward to hearing what you say. Thanks!

bigwoodshuntn

Re: Tips for climbing crooked tree with your Lone wolf?

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm pretty new to this also so some more experienced guys will probably have some more input than I. But what really seemed to help me for the goofy crooked odd ball trees was to just slow down and not try to race up the tree. Confidence in your equipment helps a ton. But other than that just practice and realize there is no set time you have to be up the tree in X amount of minutes or anything like that.

Good luck!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Do everything you can to get the post closest to vertical. The batwing, really helps in crooked trees. Cam lock it.

msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:42 pm

So you would want the sticks to be perpendicular to the ground no mater the angle to the tree right?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Take an extra minute or two studying the tree, always try to climb with the tree lean away from you. Nothing worse than climbing with the tree leaning into you. You might have to corkscrew up the tree on occasion. Some trees there is no good way and you are gonna have to fight it the whole way.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Take an extra minute or two studying the tree, always try to climb with the tree lean away from you. Nothing worse than climbing with the tree leaning into you. You might have to corkscrew up the tree on occasion. Some trees there is no good way and you are gonna have to fight it the whole way.

I agree. Nothing worse than gravity trying to pull you away from the tree. The trees that slightly lean back a bit are the most comfortable to sit in. The ability to adapt is what makes LW so great for on not so perfect trees. Being able to level the stand and offset on a crooked tree with the batwing is huge.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:14 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Take an extra minute or two studying the tree, always try to climb with the tree lean away from you. Nothing worse than climbing with the tree leaning into you. You might have to corkscrew up the tree on occasion. Some trees there is no good way and you are gonna have to fight it the whole way.

Yep this is the answer, have to go a little crooked sometimes. Or go up one side and turn the top stick to give you a little room to set the stand.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Make sure to experiment with the batwing. It's very helpful in thecrooked trees. When you cam
Lock it it should level itself.

msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks for the tips guys I've been using the batwing on mine full time seems to be working good and it gives a little more offset. Sounds like taking your time and cam locking are the most important keys to success.
wvirge1

Unread postby wvirge1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Look for DIY Sportsman on Youtube. He has some really good info on tweaking setups and getting up and down quick and quiet. I want to say he showed how to set up on a crooked tree in one of his videos and actually prefers being on the down side of the tree lean while setting up- it could have been for some alternative climbing method though I cant remember. It makes sense because if you set up with your weight on the linemans belt its easier than trying to hold yourself up off the tree. I always do that anyway because my saddle is the most comfortable with the tree leaning to me- easier on the knees. Only way to know what works best for you is to set up on a few bent ones on purpose and try both ways.
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Can you guys expand a little bit on how the batwing aids in setting up in crooked tree's? My LW has one but I didn't realize it was so beneficial in this regard.

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:05 pm

BowHusker wrote:Can you guys expand a little bit on how the batwing aids in setting up in crooked tree's? My LW has one but I didn't realize it was so beneficial in this regard.

The batwing allows the upright post on the stand remain vertical if the tree has some side to side lean to it. As long as one of the "wings" bites into the tree and the platform's "V" cradles the tree, the stand will cam lock solid and remain level without any side to side lean.

Check out the video on LW's page..........

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/ ... ahoii.aspx
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:20 am

I have climbed many crooked trees but it comes with practice. It's defiantly not the safest thing to do but take your time and only thing that you can really do when you get to your set position is to adjust the top section of your seat to make it confortsble. Unfortunately, if your platform section is out of wack your kinda screwed unless you climb back down and re start

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:26 am

Ack wrote:
BowHusker wrote:Can you guys expand a little bit on how the batwing aids in setting up in crooked tree's? My LW has one but I didn't realize it was so beneficial in this regard.

The batwing allows the upright post on the stand remain vertical if the tree has some side to side lean to it. As long as one of the "wings" bites into the tree and the platform's "V" cradles the tree, the stand will cam lock solid and remain level without any side to side lean.

Check out the video on LW's page..........

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/ ... ahoii.aspx

Perfect, thanks for the link.

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:58 am

Is this crooked enough for you? Sitting here right now.

The bottom part of the tree is almost laying down then the main trunk leans to the right. When setting my stand in this case I engaged on the far right side of the batwing to assure my stand is level. When cam locking you need to kneel on the opposite side of the seat or the batwing tends to center itself again causing your platform to not be level.

Notice my batwing in this pic. All cam locked and solid.

It takes some experimenting buy you can set up in just about any tree with a LW hang on. I'm sure the same applies to XOP as well but don't have any experience with those.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”