The J hook

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

10ING2S

The J hook

Unread postby 10ING2S » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:02 am

I am trying to estimate a setup location at point bedding in hill country...my question is how far have you seen bucks swing out from the beds to check them? Lot of variables here...just curious to here what you have witnessed.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: The J hook

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:43 am

You probably aren't going to get a lot of replies… I think only a small percent of guys on here have truly seen a buck j-hook into a bed, and even fewer of that will specifically be in hill country.

I don't think I have personally ever witnessed a buck j-hook into a bed in hill country, at least none that come to mind. But if I was trying to set up for one (I am guessing you are speaking of a bow setup) I would want to be in range of the bed in case he comes in shallow and would want shooting lanes to the sides so I can catch him before he is downwind in case he swings deeper than expected… The details of the setup would be very site-specific… But I would like a very steep drop off or a ravine head or something on the downwind side to keep his hook predictable...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Guernsey Milk

Unread postby Guernsey Milk » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:56 am

I heard Dan talking about this on wired to hunt and i think he said most often they will j hook at about a third of the way from the bottom and come straight up the hill to it. You want to be set up just above that i would guess. Even if you're in a little far in the morning you may get away with it if the thermals are rising.

10ING2S

Unread postby 10ING2S » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks for the replies. PK yes this a bow setup. From what I can tell this bed is used on a southerly wind and the point is facing east.t hey are calling for a South wind Saturday morning. There has been no pressure in the general area yet so I'm hoping one comes in a little late...

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:02 pm

I've never seen it...but I found a rub line that depicted the J hook perfectly...the rub line left no doubt as to what he was doing...

He did it maybe 50yds below the bed...but the situation may have dictated that..he stayed just above a ATV trail and hugged the brush..

It was eye opening to see...

I never hunted it in the morning..but if I did I would have probably hunted right where the hook was..

I would try to figure out which side he was coming in from and set up off the other side..

Thermals are different every day..and every area...the day you bank on them kicking in they might not...I got burned on that last week...heavy low lying fog killed my hunt..i got winded in 3 directions lol..

If you are off to the side it shouldn't matter what the thermals do...you just gotta beat him there and not bump him or walk where he's gunna walk..

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:25 pm

I have a spot in IN that is exactly what you are describing! From looking at tracks in the snow years back, the J hook was always different but a lot higher than I would have expected.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:35 pm

On morning hunts at the end of October I have seen bucks J hook 50/60 yards. This has always been in a marsh not the hills. Never knew what why or term for it until hearing about it on the Beast. I would say in the hills the terrain would dictate the distance. Once bow hunting I seen one J hook like 20 yards now that I think of it.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:03 am

I have actually seen it a few times. I do think big bucks do it consistently. In hill country, they are usually entering the bed with falling thermals early in the morning, so this usually means they swing downhill and pop up into the spot. There are a lot of variables but from what I see the average hook is pretty small - say 50 yards average.

I like to set up 30-40 yards below/downwind of the likely bedding location, he may be still down wind of me but should be within shooting distance (I have killed a buck doing this), OR back off 100-200 yards and try to catch the buck approaching on a travel route bottleneck (I have killed multiple bucks doing that).
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:32 am

JoeRE wrote:I have actually seen it a few times. I do think big bucks do it consistently. In hill country, they are usually entering the bed with falling thermals early in the morning, so this usually means they swing downhill and pop up into the spot. There are a lot of variables but from what I see the average hook is pretty small - say 50 yards average.

I like to set up 30-40 yards below/downwind of the likely bedding location, he may be still down wind of me but should be within shooting distance (I have killed a buck doing this), [glow=red]OR back off 100-200 yards and try to catch the buck approaching on a travel route bottleneck[/glow] (I have killed multiple bucks doing that).

Agree I have had more success catching them in an approach to bedding set up then right up tight to the bed in the AM. That way, if he does come back before shooting light, you can sneak out and perhaps hunt the set again.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:48 am

I have seen bucks J hook when moving from one bed to another during daylight hrs.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:22 pm

I have yet to see it first hand, but the trails I have found seem to be approximately 50yds.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mastermind

Unread postby mastermind » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 pm

I follow suit with this when hunting the mountains. I've never ever seen a buck J hook but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen I've never seen it. I used to set up 50-70yds from beds and I've watched bucks just slide up in from every direction and being that far equals no shot. I prefer to set up so I can shoot into bed sometimes my stand is 10yds away sometimes it's 30yds away. With this set up I'm normally in the tree 2hrs before shooting light and I've only ever been busted twice. My theory is this if a buck is on one side of mountain range and it's getting light he's gonna bee line for his safe spot in a straight line as possible he ain't got no time to J hook it from below. Just a theory
PK_ wrote:You probably aren't going to get a lot of replies… I think only a small percent of guys on here have truly seen a buck j-hook into a bed, and even fewer of that will specifically be in hill country.

I don't think I have personally ever witnessed a buck j-hook into a bed in hill country, at least none that come to mind. But if I was trying to set up for one (I am guessing you are speaking of a bow setup) I would want to be in range of the bed in case he comes in shallow and would want shooting lanes to the sides so I can catch him before he is downwind in case he swings deeper than expected… The details of the setup would be very site-specific… But I would like a very steep drop off or a ravine head or something on the downwind side to keep his hook predictable...

DO WORK SON!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”