Sick and tired

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Sick and tired

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Life is to short to worry about the actions of others... I am happy to find stands in hunting spots, it lets me know that I am not in the right spot. Sure its disappointing when someone finds a spot that's been good to you and sets up there, but by leaving sign that he is hunting there, at least im not wasting my time hunting a used spot. Big bucks did noty get big by hanging out where hunters hang out. There is only a small area of most public places where there are mature bucks. By leaving a stand there you just made the area even smaller and easier for me to read...

If you mess with the stand, hang ribbons on it, or other stuff, your just going to get the guy to move and be more tealthy about hiding his set ups then your going to be wasting your time...

There will always be cheaters, there will always be poachers, there will always be people with low ethics... Its not a competition. Worry about whether your doing whats right or wrong and you will be a much better hunter.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:08 am

dan wrote:Life is to short to worry about the actions of others... I am happy to find stands in hunting spots, it lets me know that I am not in the right spot. Sure its disappointing when someone finds a spot that's been good to you and sets up there, [glow=red]but by leaving sign that he is hunting there, at least im not wasting my time hunting a used spot[/glow]. Big bucks did noty get big by hanging out where hunters hang out. There is only a small area of most public places where there are mature bucks. By leaving a stand there you just made the area even smaller and easier for me to read...

If you mess with the stand, hang ribbons on it, or other stuff, your just going to get the guy to move and be more tealthy about hiding his set ups then your going to be wasting your time...

There will always be cheaters, there will always be poachers, there will always be people with low ethics... Its not a competition. Worry about whether your doing whats right or wrong and you will be a much better hunter.

What a great post - hadn't really looked at it from this POV.
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:54 am

Most of the stands I find in Iowa are in silly spots, easily accessible, and in swirly wind spots. During the rut the does have those over hunted stands pegged and will avoid or lead a buck "just" out of range of them. Last year I didn't see one out of state or in state hunter carry in a stand.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:54 am

Most of the stands I find in Iowa are in silly spots, easily accessible, and in swirly wind spots. During the rut the does have those over hunted stands pegged and will avoid or lead a buck "just" out of range of them. Last year I didn't see one out of state or in state hunter carry in a stand.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:24 am

Just thought I would give you guys a quick heads up. Check the regulations on the public land you hunt before you report illegal stands. In the clark county forest in wisconsin stands can be left out all season, but right across the road in eau claire county forest, stands need to be removed each night. I hunt both counties and it is night and day obvious which county you are in based on the number of stands in the woods. But where I know the stand is illegal, I report it. Especially when its out of state guys setting up for gun season a month in advance
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:24 am

Just thought I would give you guys a quick heads up. Check the regulations on the public land you hunt before you report illegal stands. In the clark county forest in wisconsin stands can be left out all season, but right across the road in eau claire county forest, stands need to be removed each night. I hunt both counties and it is night and day obvious which county you are in based on the number of stands in the woods. But where I know the stand is illegal, I report it. Especially when its out of state guys setting up for gun season a month in advance
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:03 am

That is one of the problems with laws in states that allow each county to pass their own hunting regulations instead of having consistent laws and regulations passed by the state. It causes confusion and puts hunters at a disadvantage and at risk to be pinched.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:28 am

woodswalker wrote:That is one of the problems with laws in states that allow each county to pass their own hunting regulations instead of having consistent laws and regulations passed by the state. It causes confusion and puts hunters at a disadvantage and at risk to be pinched.

I 100% agree. It also stinks that the deer management units now are divided by county as opposed to rivers or roads. I have a spot that according to my gps is on the county line. Since I have a doe tag for only one of the counties, I have to legally wait for a doe to cross that line before I shoot
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Jonny wrote:Just thought I would give you guys a quick heads up. Check the regulations on the public land you hunt before you report illegal stands. In the clark county forest in wisconsin stands can be left out all season, but right across the road in eau claire county forest, stands need to be removed each night. I hunt both counties and it is night and day obvious which county you are in based on the number of stands in the woods. But where I know the stand is illegal, I report it. Especially when its out of state guys setting up for gun season a month in advance

Did it say if you need to have your name on the stand in Clark county? I never knew that about either of those counties.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:07 pm

bigwoodshuntn wrote:
Jonny wrote:Just thought I would give you guys a quick heads up. Check the regulations on the public land you hunt before you report illegal stands. In the clark county forest in wisconsin stands can be left out all season, but right across the road in eau claire county forest, stands need to be removed each night. I hunt both counties and it is night and day obvious which county you are in based on the number of stands in the woods. But where I know the stand is illegal, I report it. Especially when its out of state guys setting up for gun season a month in advance

Did it say if you need to have your name on the stand in Clark county? I never knew that about either of those counties.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

You do not need to have name or information on your stand for clark county. They can be put up september 1st and must be down by january 7th
http://www.co.clark.wi.us/DocumentCenter/View/1420
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:23 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Rich M wrote:They are just holding their place.

Law on certain WMAs in FL says that we can put stand up 1 or 2 days before hunt and must remove it 1 or 2 days after hunt. After that it is trash in the woods. If the metal scrappers would figure out this source of free metal to scrap, we'd have a new craze.

In Wisconsin, "holding your place" is illegal. The other day I saw a tree on a hillside, With every branch from the ground to 20 feet up hacked off. And I'm talking about some 6 inch branches. Too bad it was 200 yards from a nice buck bed I found! some clowns don't have a clue!

Only on county and state land. Federal land you can put up the day before and take down the day after. As long as you are using it daily. DNR doesn't control federal, the Forestry epartment does. So we saw it a lot in the Federal Nicolette national forest during gun season. DNR can't do anything about if it within the federal law. Now no reason or way they are hunting it everyday during bow season.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”