Hunting too close to the "Hatfields"?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What to do..

Hunt it
74%
Remove it
26%

Total votes: 19
JohnFunn

Hunting too close to the "Hatfields"?

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:24 am

Two country roads meet forming what is commonly referred to as the "4 corners". To the north, east and west low laying marsh butts up against a large oak ridge dropping a heavy crop of red oak acorns. A brushy point jetts out into the marsh where 4 large non wind specific beds are worn to the ground...fresh rubs too. 100 yards to the east, a spruce island offers a perfect spot for my 66 year old dad to slip into for a short, undetected walk (for rifle season)...the fixed portable is only 4' off the ground making for an easy climb...Dads not getting any younger and as i scout, i scout for him too.

I text him the set-up along with google maps explaining the beds, acorns and of course the portable already set for him....wait for a glorious reply as i feel as ive bought the "perfect present"!

Finally he replys:
"Thanks but im not going to hunt there. I know its public land but its too close to the "Hatfields". They have never came over and hunted near any of our land and im not going to do that to them. You can hunt there if you want but I'd rather find somewhere else to hunt...hope you're not mad"

I had to smile and tip my cap. I like old school. I don't know the "Hadfields" like him...know who they are is about it. He grew up with them and like he said, to our knowledge have never hunted "our" areas....sooooo...whats my move? I know he really doesn't care if i hunt it and i don't even hunt "our" hunting spots. Remove the stand OR hunt it myself when the time is right because it's public land, after all.....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by JohnFunn on Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

backstraps

Re: Hunting too close to the "Hatfields"?

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:48 am

JohnFunn wrote:Two country roads meet forming what is commonly referred to as the "4 corners". To the north, east and west low laying marsh butts up against a large oak ridge dropping a heavy crop of red oak acorns. A brushy point jetts out into the marsh where 4 large non wind specific beds are worn to the ground...fresh rubs too. 100 yards to the east, a spruce island offers a perfect spot for my 66 year old dad to slip into for a short, undetected walk (for rifle season)...the fixed portable is only 4' off the ground making for an easy climb...Dads not getting any younger and as i scout, i scout for him too.

I text him the set-up along with google maps explaining the beds, acorns and of course the portable already set for him....wait for a glorious reply as i feel as ive bought the "perfect present"!

Finally he replys:
"Thanks but im not going to hunt there. I know its public land but its too close to the "Hatfields". They have never came over and hunted near any of our land and im not going to do that to them. You can hunt there if you want but I'd rather find somewhere else to hunt...hope you're not mad"

I had to smile and tip my cap. I like old school. I don't know the "Hadfields" like him...know who they are is about it. He grew up with them and like he said, to our knowledge have never hunted "our" areas....sooooo...whats my move? Remove the stand OR hunt it myself when the time is right because it's public land, after all.....

I'd honor my dad's wishes to not impose on "their" area. Let him know you pulled the set and will continue a search him another setup.
thats just me though, others may think differently
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:56 am

That's a tough one. I guess if I had a long standing agreement I wouldn't hunt it. This isn't two private parcels meeting its public. So anyone can hunt it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Hawthorne wrote:That's a tough one. I guess if I had a long standing agreement I wouldn't hunt it. This isn't two private parcels meeting its public. So anyone can hunt it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Thats true..anyone could stumble on it and hunt it...hummmm?

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Option 3 would be to talk to the Hatfield and see how they feel about it. I would present it in a way that they make the decision and you would agree with their decision.
I lived this situation many years ago. I set up about 100 yes off the fence line to be neighborly. The neighbors on the other hand eventually placed a stand right on the line then started shooting at deer on my side. It was not a good situation.

JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:08 am

magicman54494 wrote:Option 3 would be to talk to the Hatfield and see how they feel about it. I would present it in a way that they make the decision and you would agree with their decision.
I lived this situation many years ago. I set up about 100 yes off the fence line to be neighborly. The neighbors on the other hand eventually placed a stand right on the line then started shooting at deer on my side. It was not a good situation.

Ooh man i bet not! Thanks for the input

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:21 am

If its public hunt it I say. Noble of your dad, but if not you someone will. Claiming spots on public is no bueno in my opinion. Now if its right on the line and high chance a deer would run onto their land, have to gauge that, but didn't sound like that was the case.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:53 am

Well to me this just leads me to one question. Do you feel your father is a smart and wise man?

The answer to that question should answer your question.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:25 pm

You never say how far the stand is from the neighboring hatfields land. Is it 100 yards, 100 feet, 1/4 mile? That's the question. If you are hunting a fence line, that's diff than setting up 150 yards away in an area anyone may hunt...but no-one seems to hunt.

Your dad has indicated that he doesn't want to hunt it but that you may. You would not be dishonoring him to hunt it.

As for asking the hatfields - are you willing to give up the stand location and the bed locations? I would not be. No sense telling the neighbors where the deer are. Magicman's example is one possible outcome to sharing your information.

It seems that, if there is enough distance so a wounded deer won't run into their camp, then you should be fine to hunt it. If you are a "true beast", you'll only hunt there a time or two anyway. If you are hunting with a rifle, then drop the buck right there and don't let it run.

I'm not one to set up on a property line and hunt the other side. Giving a little distance and respect to the neighbors is good. Only you can decide how far is far enough.

I have 3 stands that are immediately adjacent to one of my two 45 acre leases this year (yes - only 45 acres). They all hunt deer coming OFF or thru my property - I'm hunting the center and far end of the land to avoid sitting in a stand staring at any of these 3 stands - one of the fellows helped me load my August buck. We now communicate when hunting so we don't mess each other up...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”