wind speed doldrums

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

wind speed doldrums

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:38 am

new guy to the beast and bowhunting...dumb question but i have to ask, is there a max. wind speed where deer just sit tight and dont move. I hunt hill country(So.Mn). If so, is there a cutoff speed, what is that speed and what about gusts(on and off blasts)? Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
backstraps

Re: wind speed doldrums

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:52 am

No such thing as a dumb question if you don't know the answer. ;) unless it's an un-asked one.

For me, max wind speed to hunt is when it becomes unsafe.

I have seen some of my better "mature" buck sightings under winds speeds 20-30mph

I prefer wind speeds. However, I do think if it's not normal to have high speeds then the first day or two can hamper movement.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:11 am

There was a study someone posted awhile back, it stated that in fact: When the wind is below 5MPH deer move less distance in certain span of time. They will cover more ground when its above 10MPH. Im pretty sure it started to drop back down once it reached 20+MPH... but it still wasn't less movement than low winds. This study was done for day and night movement, the whole things was kind of surprising.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 am

do have a cold front coming through, temps right above freezing in the AM...need to be out there in the morn, so much to learn about weather and deer movement.I want to hear all the theories out there and see which work and which ones dont( moon phase,barometric pressure...)thanks Beasties
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am

creepingdeth wrote:do have a cold front coming through, temps right above freezing in the AM...need to be out there in the morn, so much to learn about weather and deer movement.I want to hear all the theories out there and see which work and which ones dont( moon phase,barometric pressure...)thanks Beasties

WELCOME to the BEAST brother....this is the BEST site on the net to learn whitetail and whitetail tactics
WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:48 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:There was a study someone posted awhile back, it stated that in fact: When the wind is below 5MPH deer move less distance in certain span of time. They will cover more ground when its above 10MPH. Im pretty sure it started to drop back down once it reached 20+MPH... but it still wasn't less movement than low winds. This study was done for day and night movement, the whole things was kind of surprising.

I think the piece about low movement when wind is below 5mph is very interesting. I was with a guy tracking a shot deer with a bloodhound, and he said that bloodhounds, and deer, "see" with the wind the way we look at a painting or photo, but the scene is always changing based on the information coming to their noses from the wind. So... I wonder if deer move less when wind is <5mph because LESS info is coming to their nose than when the wind speed is higher...?
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:52 pm

I'll take 20-30 mph over light and variable anytime. I'm not sure they move less on a light and variable, but I definitely see less from the stand under those conditions. I keep my but out of the woods on light and variable forecast, it's too easy to educate deer and burn spots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”