Ultimate enemy of Hunting success, time

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjm335

Ultimate enemy of Hunting success, time

Unread postby jjm335 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:06 am

So guys…I’ve been hunting for a long time and I love it, but as I grow older, my family grows and my responsibilities change and the result of that is I have less and less time to hunt. Not just hunt but scout and do the necessary work to be able to hunt successfully. This year has been extremely hard and for the first time in a long time I have no inventory of buck in my areas because I could not get out (only spotted handful of times). When I do something I like to go “all-in”. I want to do it and do it right and hunting is no exception. When I ran into Dan’s videos I immediately changed the way I hunted and went into beast hunting mode but it has been a real challenge and it comes down to just not having enough time to invest. It is driving me crazy, but I can’t change it so I’m trying to make the best of the time I have.

What advice would you have for someone that has limited time to invest? What should my focus be? Obviously it changes the buck I hunt for…but what else would you recommend?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Ultimate enemy of Hunting success, time

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:32 am

If you have a good history with an area , you might know the high percentage times of year to hunt it. Just hunt the days with the best conditions. There is guys on here that shoot good bucks on limited time. RR7 and joere come to mind. I'm in a similar situation would like to hear what other guys have to say also.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:53 am

First, hunting is fun, it's supposed to be anyways, always try to keep that tucked away somewhere.

Priorities get talked about a lot on here. There are a bunch of guys on here who probably have the same kind of time constraints as others, but still prioritize a way to get in the necessary work. In some cases that has been the admission of prioritizing hunting over family or work, in other cases it's sacrificing sleep, or reassessing and getting kids involved with their passion to allow for more time. I'm not one of those guys. For me that has meant doing my best to be reasonable about my expectations.

I've been on the beast for around three years, and my only goals have been to continue to learn, and build an inventory of public land spots gradually over time. This has meant a lot of in season scouting and not worrying about sits as long as I feel it is productive for the future. I wasn't in a position to prioritize things and get out in front of it in one season. I suspect even the best hunters on here it is the same thing.

I also never use time as an excuse, because to me that creates negative thoughts and feelings and kills the fun part and gets me down the path of feeling sorry for myself and the whole list of well if I scouted more, if I had better public closer, if I ....you get the idea. I have set my own priorities. Recreationally, bowhunting for whitetails is number one, but still well behind my two daughters, my wife, and work. It isn't time's fault, I made those choices. For me that helps me stay realistic that my results may vary from others. It's not an excuse, but it is a reality, and I'm ok with that.

For me, as long as I can step back and see progress and feel like I'm learning, I have been successful. Gauge it on that, not inches or kills, and for me anyways, its much easier to reconcile. The learning process also quickly makes the hunting much more efficient too. I have hunted a piece of private in IL for the past 7 seasons. The first 5 seasons I killed three bucks in dozens of sites. Now one was a 3.5 and one was 4.5 plus, and I saw several other mature deer, but not very efficient hunting. Since the beast I've killed four bucks (Two 4.5+, one 3.5 and on 1.5) and seen several other mature deer in two years in a total of 7 sits on the property, because I learned, applied and figured out when my best kill opportunities are and have capitalized. This has let me use my other hunting time to scout public in WI and hunt there, and feel like I'm really putting pieces together there.

I work hard at most things I do, but probably don't have the same intense personality some others on here have that drive them to be going 100 mph 24/7. Again, that's on me, so if I don't take full advantage of what time I do have, I'm ok with that and don't blame others and understand I function better with a little down time occasionally. Everyone has to find their balance, and then accept it or change it.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:37 am

Can you eliminate any things that are not really important to give you more time?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Scouting is more important than hunting. Scouting season is three times as long in most cases. I'd say make it a point to really pound the ground a few days in the spring once snow melts (if you get snow). I average 2-4 setups per 5 miles of scouting and that is personally my limit for a day. Any more than 5 miles and I get sloppy. Even 3 solid days of scouting should yield you 6-12 solid spots for next year.

As far as this year, cyber scouting can really cut down on a lot of wandering.

For future years, note keeping or hunting log. If you see or kill a good buck, hit that spot again next year if conditions are similar.

Good luck!

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:49 pm

I think most guys are in a similar situation. If you're doing the best you can, that's all you can do. Family takes precedence over hunting but I understand how frustrating it can be. I personally know I can only hunt 1-2 days a week without neglecting my other responsibilities.

I take time to look at the calendar and plan out ahead of time how to best utilize my vacation time. I also pay close attention to the weather forecast every week to make sure I'm picking the best day or two of the week. On days when I know I won't be hunting I try to take time to do family stuff and take care of everything I need to around the house. It's a juggling act. All you can do is make the effort, do your homework and use your time wisely.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:20 pm

This is something I am always looking to improve on since my time is limited as well. I think having a place to hunt that you can learn really well is a huge plus. In my opinion, this is where the right lease can be very beneficial. Having some one like Dan look over your maps is huge since it will cut down on just wondering around in the woods. Another thing is to look for deer bedding areas on maps and hunt them. When you have some more time you can then look for individual beds. Hunt smart, find some good areas and wait till everything lines up properly and then go in. Don't waste family time sitting in unproductive spots if you can keep from it. Depending on what you are wanting to shoot, save your time for the most productive hunting times. For me that is usually the first week of the season and the rut. I hunt out of state a lot so I try to drive at night to maximize my hunting time. Often I hunt Sunday evenings and drive the 5 hrs home after that. Outsource your home projects if you can. I pay the neiighbor kid 35 a month to mow the lawn. Frees up my Saturdays.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Only make the moves you feel are worth betting your whole season on or those you know you'll learn from without educating any deer

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:06 pm

A lot not only depends on how much time you have to hunt but what your end success goal is. Is your goal to hunt as much as possible? Is your goal to hang one on the wall? Is your goal to put meat in the freezer? After you determine what you want as an end goal then you can maximize your limited time.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:36 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Can you eliminate any things that are not really important to give you more time?

We are working on eliminating some things. We have four boys with the youngest being 8 months and the oldest 9 yrs. I've been given more responsibility at work and I'm on call 24/7, my Wife owns her own salon (which is open week nights and Sat) and my wife and I are both volunteer youth pastors for a church. We are cutting back but it isn't easy.
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:50 am

Guys, what great responses, thank you. Very encouraging to be honest.

I would say my goals have really changed over the years, years ago my goal was anything over 115 but now since my time is limited I'll take a 2.5 year old. Difficult part for me is I lost all of my private land over the years and now can only hunt public is a heavy pressure area (Southeastern PA). Size isn't great, there are > 130s around but very hard to get and usually bed on private.

seazofcheeze wrote:Scouting is more important than hunting. Scouting season is three times as long in most cases. I'd say make it a point to really pound the ground a few days in the spring once snow melts (if you get snow). I average 2-4 setups per 5 miles of scouting and that is personally my limit for a day. Any more than 5 miles and I get sloppy. Even 3 solid days of scouting should yield you 6-12 solid spots for next year.

So those spots, 2-4 setups per 5 miles, are they fully trimmed? Do you go back to them at all?
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Lots of good posts here on this topic. I've been on the beast and the old blood brothers site since the mid 2000's. Great stuff, I'm in that same boat, lots of other responsibilities. I usually get time for 3 all day hunts in the rut, and maybe 4-5 other evening type hunts. Wish I could do more, but that is about it for me. I'm in the right places, but the deer are not always home. Sprig scouting helps, I see deer, pass on some, most times I end up with tag soup. Probably neEd to lower my standards for the time I have, but it is fun and I try to keep it that way. Just getting out is good for me. Do the best with what you have, sounds like you will have more time as the kids get bigger, I'm sure at least one will want to go along. :)

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:57 pm

You'll figure out what is best for your family.

As for hunting - you need to hunt areas you know well, so you don't need to scout and find game. Hunt the best spot you can whenever you can.
Last edited by Rich M on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:15 pm

I'm sure you already know what I'm about to say...but....I have found that when all my priorities and motives are in the right place and I pray to God about something...the right answers somehow materialize. So that's my suggestion for your immediate doldrums.

With respect to the future it probably is a matter of planning and prioritizing as has been noted.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:47 pm

We all fight time every year, especially with young families. For me I gave up a lot of other activities and hobbies to make bow hunting a priority, it doesn't mean I have a ton of extra time it just means that the free time I have is focused. I would also point out with less time the more important scouting becomes, when you scouting is taken care of it can really be a shortcut to hunting success on every level. The other key with scouting is you have all year to do it so spread it out if it makes life easier. I do a lot of my scouting in the spring but I also do plenty in the winter as well, just make it work when you can.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”