Odd man out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Odd man out

Unread postby woodswalker » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:57 am

I have only been on this site for a little over a month and when it comes to the deer hunting forum I kinda feel like the odd man out. I started hunting deer in 1959 at the age of 12. At that time the good deer population was relegated to the northern part of the state of PA and part of the south central part. I lived in the Southeast part. Since my dad did not belong to a camp in the northern part of the state, not because he could not, but because he would not, as he had three sons and he would not go to camp and leave his sons with no one to take them deer hunting. If we saw some deer it was a good day and there were so few doe licenses for the country we hunted in and the issuance at that time was so crooked, the chance of getting one unless you knew someone in politics was zero all we could shoot were buck, most of what we saw were doe. We hunted small game with a passion and we took more rabbits and pheasants than anyone could expect to take, all legal. The year I got out of the navy, I was 21, I hunted every day of the pheasant season and killed twp cockbirds every day I hunted. My dad was worried I had killed more than the season limit, he didn't realize the season limit had been done away with, pheasant hunting was that good and they were wild birds. I walked my dad's trap line with him starting at age 5 so I had a well rounded outdoor education but the deer eluded me. I was in my 20's when I killed my first deer, our state wide population exploded after that until we had an over population state wide and I killed at least one yearly after that and I am now 69 years old. For many years I hunted public land and did quite well and about 12 years ago I was invited to hunt the land belonging to some members of my wife's family, a little over 100 acres of mixed hardwoods and pine, part of which was a Christmas tree farm at one time but now the trees are about 70 feet high and two fields planted for silage grass. I learned the land and found a spot where 6 or 7 deer trails funneled into a single trail and that is where I built my stand. I had woods in front and both sides of me and a field behind me, I was in the woods about ten feet from the field. It was not unusual to see 60 deer a day from that stand and it produced for me. The property always holds some big racked buck and very big bodied deer, both sexes. I am retired from a job in wildlife management and after 32 years of seeing the lengths some people will go to kill a big racked I never got hung up on rack measurement numbers. I always try to take a mature big bodied deer, either sex regardless of rack measurements unless it is not legal, 3 points to one side minimum for the past 15 or so years. I have passed on buck that were well over 200 lbs because they were 4 pointers or had broken racks and I have taken many doe over 200 lbs live weight. I lost that stand 2 years ago because ten acres of the property I hunt on and just happened to have my stand on it was sold to a neighboring farmer who would not allow me to hunt. Because I knew the property so well I picked another spot that would not interfere with the other three people who hunt it and built a new tree stand. The stand is ten feet inside a woods from a silage grass field in the back, it has a grass road to the right with a 35 yard wide wooded gully with a stream at the bottom that runs for several hundred yards long and on the other side of the gully is another grass road with a wooded hillside to the right of it. There is mixed hardwoods with brush in front and to the right and I have a good view of the grass road next to the stand for about 50 yards. There are at least 6 heavily used deer trails coming out of the gully to the grass road in rifle range and more trails than I can count in the woods to the front and to the left all coming out to the grass road to the right of my stand. Last deer season on the first I had my cross hairs on the biggest bodied and biggest racked high and wide 10 point buck I have sen while hunting in my over 50 years in the field at about 50 yards. I had my 15 year old grandson with me and it was the only day he could hunt because my daughter would not allow him to hook school to hunt so I told him to take the shot. He missed! To me it would have been nice for him to have scored but I felt worse for him than about not getting that big buck. I guess the reason for this rambling post is because I see that most here are serious about targeting big rack buck and to me, every deer I kill is a trophy. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with those who target an animal and will not settle for any other, that takes skill and self control and both of those things are good things to have and I respect that. For me a mature doe pushing or passing 200 lbs live weight is as good as killing a 12 point buck because it is the hunt and bringing it to a successful conclusion that make me happy. I have taken a lot of deer and I have never been disappointed with any of them. The reason for this rambling post is just to tell you why I do not participate in the deer hunting thread, because Most here do not hunt like I do so I don't have much to add.

Life is short, eat dessert first!
wmahunter
500 Club

Re: Odd man out

Unread postby wmahunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:11 am

I can understand that. Myself we do not have many big bucks in florida. But it is great to learn where and how deer use the contours. When that occasion occurs that I can find a nice buck than the challenge is on.

That is what I am learning.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:46 am

Lets flip this around a little bit..Yes this site is dedicated to hunting mature bucks.

I am at the the other end of the spectrum, 43 years old, one bow season under my belt. 2.5 years of being on " The Beast"...Everyone has something of value to add to this site. I see nothing but inclusiveness portrayed by all members, of all ages and experience...I wouldnt sell yourself short in the " what you can offer " category..Just from the brief bio, I am sure there are countless stories and nuggets of wisdom you can share.
This site is about " deer hunting" with a focus on mature deer, but I know there are a lot new hunters without a single kill under their belt like myself that would like to hear about anyones experiences in the woods, regardless of a " big buck" resume..I bet the ultra big buck killers here would say the same..Everyone has something of value to add..That is what makes this site unique..The people....

regards

Chad

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:06 am

To me it is just like fishing.

Some guys are just looking to catch their limit to eat.
Some guys will fish all night just to hook into that one big monster fish, purely for the fight.
Some guys just want to get on the water with buddies/family and don't really even care if hey get a bite.

There are folks from all different perspectives on this site. Just the big rack/mature buck is what gets the most discussion.

Don't view yourself as odd man out. Because likely you are the only one that feels that way about your input.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:44 am

I know people use the word "mature" buck a lot on here but I think there are plenty of members who would be thrilled to kill a nice buck under 4.5 years old. I know I would. These tactics can help a guy be a better deer hunter in general. I think killing any deer is an accomplishment. Your input is welcome.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:49 am

We all hunt differently but everyone has something to offer in their own unique way. I'm always interested and find it fascinating how other guys hunt in different regions of the country. It's definitely not all about mature bucks here.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:04 pm

I have and I am sure most all others have as well, appreciated and will appreciate whatever input you may have on any topic of interest.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Look through the kill zone over the past few years, there is a wide range of age class bucks from spikes to fully mature big racked bucks...it's all good. Very few hunters on this site kill a mature buck every year (especially me) :lol: .

I really enjoy the hunting stories that accompany the killed bucks/does in the kill zone no matter what the size.

Bottom line....post some of your great hunting stories/kills and maybe something you learned along the way.

I bet you have more woods knowledge than most of us based on your background and all the years yyou've hunted.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Your style of hunting is very similar to what a lot of guys do here in Maine during rifle season. They have 1 treestand / tree fort / platform that they hunt out of everyday. Some have killed big buck after big buck out of that old wooden contraption. Bunch of trails all intersecting in one spot. Most of them are very very patient. They sit the same stand day after day...hour after hour. And patience many times will land them a buck they are super proud of.

You hunted in a very different time than we do now. Listening to all this 4.5yr old or 5.5yr old kind of stuff has got to make you chuckle. Back in the 40s 50s I am pretty sure no one talked like that.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:37 pm

I can tell you with certainty that this group will value your input given your experience.

This group is also very diverse in its goals, geography, experience, age, and interests. Most of us are here to learn. Some of us are here to give back and preserve our hunting heritage.

Because of this diversity, any one of us might feel like the odd man out. But you can choose to feel alienated and withdrawal, or you can choose to focus on the common ground and contribute to something great.

I hope you choose to pass along some stories and knowledge.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:45 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I bet you have more woods knowledge than most of us based on your background and all the years you've hunted.

I was thinking the same thing JM. Contribute to the threads you have knowledge in, and even start new threads about some of the little things you have picked up on over the years. There are some guys here who have never shot a deer, or even a buck for that matter, and will be all ears when it comes to learning from someone with experience like yourself.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:31 am

Woodswalker, welcome aboard, and I'm also excited to have another person with your kind of experience around here.

Like JM said, take a look through the Kill Zone thread and keep en eye on everything. I think you'll find when it comes to deer hunting there really is no odd man out on this particular forum. The regular posters span the gammet.

We just had a new member kill his first buck the other day (JRichard) and everyone is very excited for him. From my experience of about three years as a regular reader and poster, if you like to hunt deer, and really like to think about it and enjoy the experience, even if styles differ, you'll fit right in.

Some guys are after inches around here, but are still more than willing to help other who may not be and offer advice. Many of us have that as a goal, but are also not "above" sticking a little guy, or certainly does.

This is a remarkably judgement free forum.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:54 am

Woodswalker thanks for sharing your story...there is actually a wider spectrum of people here than may first apear. Some more vocal than others but I know some have big leases, some hunt their own family farms, some hunt public, some hunt fixed stands every year some don't. Some have hunted only a year or two some many decades. Welcome and please stick around!

Sounds like you share the same passion as most of us about deer hunting if you have hunted for this long and that's what binds us. I bet you have some more great stories too, we all like hearing hunting stories. Feel free to share some stories even if they happened a while ago! Got any old time pictures from when you were starting to hunt? Always like those old pics. Just saying I think you have a lot to contribute if you want.

Kraftd you are spot on with your post too.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:16 am

I enjoy just about any kind of outdoor story with some knowledge/wisdom mixed in. Post away woodswalker, we would like to hear it. Lots of members have posted a thread with their own biography in it. I would definitely be interested in yours.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:25 am

You must have 60ish years of experience, the way you described hunting is very similar to how a lot of my family members rifle hunt. 60 seasons is a lot more experience than many here have, certainly you have a lot to add. I'd like to hear what you have to say, and I'm sure many others would too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”