some advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
nphunter55

some advice

Unread postby nphunter55 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:14 am

hey guys/gals i have a couple small parcels of property about 5 acres each or so that some family members own that adjoin some large wooded areas that are private property, if you were going to scout for first time with stand and bow on back what would be the most important sign you would look for ? i know without showing you guys/gals the actual parcels it might be tough, thats why i am not asking for location to set up a stand but what you all would look for sign wise in a setup. thanks

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: some advice

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:20 am

Im sure others will chime in. Fresh big tracks are #1 in my book. If you can fit 4 fingers in it it's worth hunting. Not all big big deer leave big tracks, but all big tracks are left by big deer. I'd also look for rubs, scrapes, poop, signs of browse. Faint trails on leeward ridges are also good. If you find good fresh sign setup and hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nphunter55

Unread postby nphunter55 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:27 am

cool thanks all makes sense, i like that saying about the tracks lol i do plan on getting up some trail cams on these parcels to monitor them.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:31 am

That sounds like a good plan, I would be careful about placing cameras on small parcels. You're only gonna get a few cracks at hunting these areas. I would hunt it as soon as you find the right sign. Place the camera after the hunt, and the next time you come through to hunt again check the camera then. Small parcels are tough, but they can be gold under the right circumstances. Good luck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nphunter55

Unread postby nphunter55 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:37 am

thanks !! i have been waiting for the perfect wind for the one i am going too saturday morning... supposed to be nice and cold in NY that weekend so well see what happens !! i figure if i dont turn any tails ill get a crack now and maybe one more time during the rut. good luck to you too !!
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:55 am

walk in on the transition lines, set up on hot sign. that will eliminate a majority of the acreage.

go in, kill, go out.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:51 am

We hunt small acreage but 5 is really small. You probably won't have a lot of options when you consider wind direction. I agree with Jeff, walk the wind based transition line and set up where it looks most promising. Might have good sign or just a few trails with the limited acreage. If you know where they are bedding or feeding on adjacent properties, it would be helpful.
nphunter55

Unread postby nphunter55 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:11 am

gotcha guys, based on the swamp on the ridge below about 50 yards or so away being the lowest point in about the 100+ acres around with roads on all sides, i am just guessing that there is some bedding in there, but its just a guess. So far i have been finding some good acorn crops around so i am guessing there will be some food source. thanks again everyone

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”