Killing a mature bucks is not an equal opportunity sport

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckfever
500 Club

Re: Killing a mature bucks is not an equal opportunity sport

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:42 pm

I just like making a good hunt.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Well stated post, it really applies to me and I can vouch for not having enthusiasm part way into the season due to lack of quality spots. Life, ect.. kept me from really scouting and all I have to rely on is old areas I have an idea about. Preseason scouting really seems to help keep that "fire" going and allows you to have confidence as the season progresses; Especially this time of year when it's hot and miserable.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:04 pm

I was just thinking about this (kinda related) the other day. I have killed some big ones that I never should have got and I've had some slip thru my fingers that I should have got. Some have come way too hard and some have been way too easy.
The way I look at it is it all equals out in the end. In the end the effort put out towards something will pay back in equal. It may not seem like it at times but it does.
On a side note, I have noticed that you can't force things to happen. Stressing out or pressuring yourself does not bring results. I've learned to go with the flow or roll with the punches. I always remind myself that I only have to win once to be successful. That helps me stay focused when things are not going good. I can go 1 for 100 and I still win!
I have got to go out three times this season and have yet to see a deer. Now my beds are all under water. I'm not stressing because I believe things will swing around and it will happen when it happens.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Hunting is supposed to be fun. The day that fun disappears I will find something else to do but don't see that happening in my lifetime. Stress has no place in hunting and I do anything I can to eliminate it. Can't think of one deer that I killed that was considered "easy". Every one had much preparation put into it way before the hunt even started. The only pressure I put on myself is to be a better hunter each and every year. Better hunter does not necessarily mean I have to kill a big buck every year but I do want my opportunities to increase every season. Some of my most successful seasons I never released an arrow.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:19 pm

I would put seeing a mature buck as being very elusive as well. I've never felt any pressure to kill a mature buck. It's my goal every year but it's not the most important thing. With respect to hunting, the most important thing is appreciating God's creation and using it in positive, beneficial ways.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:32 am

magicman54494 wrote:I was just thinking about this (kinda related) the other day. I have killed some big ones that I never should have got and I've had some slip thru my fingers that I should have got. Some have come way too hard and some have been way too easy.
The way I look at it is it all equals out in the end. In the end the effort put out towards something will pay back in equal. It may not seem like it at times but it does.
On a side note, I have noticed that you can't force things to happen. Stressing out or pressuring yourself does not bring results. I've learned to go with the flow or roll with the punches. I always remind myself that I only have to win once to be successful. That helps me stay focused when things are not going good. I can go 1 for 100 and I still win!
I have got to go out three times this season and have yet to see a deer. Now my beds are all under water. I'm not stressing because I believe things will swing around and it will happen when it happens.

I agree - this is a wise post...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:32 am

All good thoughts shared by everyone so far. As soon as this becomes stressful or I feel pressure, either internal or external, I might move on.

Dewey summed it up for me; this is supposed to be fun.

I go in with low expectations. I put in more time than some but sometimes I feel like the "big one" is never going to come. Other times I feel like today is the day.

I was out on saturday, had high hopes for a spot. Saw one doe at dark and she was close, never got busted. I was satisfied on my ride home.

Life ain't fair, so I would expect the same for hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”