Killing a mature bucks is not an equal opportunity sport

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Killing a mature bucks is not an equal opportunity sport

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 am

Funny, but as we enter the season, everyone is jacked to put that buck on the ground. As the season starts, things get real. ITS TOUGH. You watch guys around you that put 1% of the effort in shoot slammers all the while you can't even lay eyes on a 4 pt. Heard a guy the other day, after he killed a good buck, "man it took the stress of me to shoot that buck" STRESS? Why should we be stressed about hunting? Heck, he is not even a "bed" hunter. :D

Its not an equal opportunity sport. Deer hunting does not have to be "fair". Over the longhaul you get out of it what you put into it. But not in the short term. No matter how much time you put in the woods, there are no guarantees. You could go a whole season and not shoot a good buck. Who knows.

The fun though is in the journey. For me, the fun is in the potential. With all the hardwork, EVERY night I am in a spot where I could kill a target buck. Every crunch crunch you hear, it could be the buck your chasing. Too me, thats where the hard work pays off. Shooting a good buck is a bonus. I am thankful to just be in a tree mile back in the woods sitting in a tree I climbed hunting beds that could hold the buck I am after.

Talked with another buddy last night, 2 buddies actually. Neither one of them is that jacked up about the season. Why? No real preseason work done. 3 days into the season they have no potential spots left. Too me, thats where the hard work pays off. I have spots I have not even sat yet.

50% of what you spring scouted? Yep, it will probably turn up to be dead and worthless this season. But at some point, next season, it could be good.

I just don't put so much pressure on myself anymore to succeed. So take the pressure of yourself. Remember, this is suppose to be fun. Anyways, just some more rambling thoughts running through my brain...thought I would share.

Lockdown

Re: Killing a mature bucks is not an equal opportunity sport

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:27 am

Great post.

A forum member asked me the other day if I put pressure on my self to succeed. Fact of the matter is I do put some pressure on myself, but that does not mean I'm not enjoying the ride!

It is our failures that make the successes so sweet. And that's what I love about it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:12 am

Excellent post! I def put some pressure on myself but it isn't necessarily based on the size of deer I end up harvesting. I strive to be a better hunter in every aspect, from scouting, to setup, to entry/exit and all other areas. I inevitably put pressure on myself to be better in these areas but it is a good thing.

There is just nothing better in my opinion than being way out in the sticks and just enjoying being in the moment.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:21 am

Pressure is one can of spam for 4 kids. Everything is just ego. Not meaning that as a bad thing ego is good when properly directed and used.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:48 am

Says it all right there was splits dedication to just putting yourself in the woods

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:13 am

It's better to be lucky than good. No pressure on me. Hunting doesn't pay my bills

Last edited by Hawthorne on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:16 am

Everyone has an equal opportunity but most won't get equal results.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:41 am

Honestly I feel there are two sides to that coin. I know lots of guys that occassionally get "lucky". I know a lot of guys that can afford expensive leases and grow their bucks. Before this site I knew of just a handful of guys that could consistantly kill mature bucks on public land and they were/are damn tight lipped about what they were doing, but looking back those guys put a ton of time in after season. And talking to them since joining and even running into one scouting after season they KNOW what it takes. To me there are two ways to kill a mature buck: hard work and your checkbook. I don't have the checkbook so I am stuck with hard work. Nothing against the guys that can afford the private leases and such (BTW I am super blessed to have access to family farm in KY, but they don't put in the work so It doesn't pay off accept occassionally and because of that I'm actually bowhunting public land for a week up there before gun season.) Great post Maine. I know I fight that green envy bug also when some guy lucks out, but then I look back and the reason they stressed so much is they hadn't seen a mature buck in five seasons or whatever.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:07 am

Tufrthnails wrote:Honestly I feel there are two sides to that coin. I know lots of guys that occassionally get "lucky". I know a lot of guys that can afford expensive leases and grow their bucks. Before this site I knew of just a handful of guys that could consistantly kill mature bucks on public land and they were/are damn tight lipped about what they were doing, but looking back those guys put a ton of time in after season. And talking to them since joining and even running into one scouting after season they KNOW what it takes. To me there are two ways to kill a mature buck: hard work and your checkbook. I don't have the checkbook so I am stuck with hard work. Nothing against the guys that can afford the private leases and such (BTW I am super blessed to have access to family farm in KY, but they don't put in the work so It doesn't pay off accept occassionally and because of that I'm actually bowhunting public land for a week up there before gun season.) Great post Maine. I know I fight that green envy bug also when some guy lucks out, but then I look back and the reason they stressed so much is they hadn't seen a mature buck in five seasons or whatever.

Don't forget privilege to hunt world class land for free. I know a few that grind it out for a week in the same stand on a great family farm and do pretty darn well. Can't argue against check book or hard work either. The later obviously gets the biggest nod in most cases. I'll never talk down on a guy who consistently goes one on one with the biggest buck on his farm and kills him, but there is something to be said about the guys that dodge the Tom and Jerry's all season on public and consistently deliver. It take a lot of time and a lot of hard work to even find bucks worthy of hunting.

This is what makes the big buck contest on this website so great. Especially with the live from the stand/field threads every season and the scouting threads in the off season...or the individual journals. It gives a lot of average guys that don't film their entire year to document their efforts and show what it takes to get it done along with the roller coaster along the way. Simply awesome!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:36 am

Some good thoughts on this already posted. Equality is a myth. We all have a different mental capacity, physical capacity, time constraints, family constraints, work constraints and access to land whether good public or private can vary greatly depending on your location.

One of the many reasons I love this site is the encouragement and the congratulations on all sizes of bucks killed by members.

All of the above having been said a guy can really improve and do quite well if the above listed can be overcome...and for a lot of us we can overcome some or all of it.

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:01 am

Agree with Jackson Marsh. It's great to hear everyone supporting everyone on the beast. As for feeling pressure, the only pressure I put on myself hunting is to try to make a good clean ethical kill. That's why I practice with my bow. I'm not owed anything but I owe it to the animal I'm trying to harvest. Not all land is created equal. Dome hold big deer. Some don't. It's gotta have food, water, and cover if it doesn't have those 3 things the odds go way down in my opinion.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:33 am

Everyone wants the easy one. Lots of guys want to be the guy that has a honey hole that did not have to work for it. I can tell you this, none of them look at the successful guy who puts in a TON of work and wants to be "that" guy. No one has time to scout except the guys who scout.

I also understand the fact that there are guys who have not killed a big buck yet...and really want that experience. There is pressure there. Understandable for sure.

I think the pressure to perform so that everyone will think "I am the man" leads guys to do stuff that is so far on the illegal side of things its not funny. Sometimes, I wish we could just put all the competitive stuff aside ...all of the egos aside and just enjoy this for what it is. But we are men...and its kind of our nature. Many times it take the fun right out of hunting. Never forget when I sitting around a table at church hunters banquet. Guys brought mounts, put them on the wall. My buddy was the speaker. He brought his dad. We were sitting there and his dad looks around, counts all the mounts and says "I count 17 mounts...I got 19 mounts at home on my wall." I will never forget that as long as I live. Kind of sad really.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:38 pm

I want an easy one!!!!! Where can I find an easy one?

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:00 pm

cbigbear wrote:I want an easy one!!!!! Where can I find an easy one?

I know right? Sometimes it seems none of them come easy.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Well Said!

If it was easy, everyone would shoot a slammer every year. I scouted 10 times more to prepare for this season than I have in the past. Yet, in 7 sits, I have yet to get eye's on a buck. I've still enjoyed every minute in the stand. And yet the motivation is still there to keep grinding it out, because my time will come!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”