Avoiding spooking deer exiting a large corn field after a hu

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan88
Facebook: dansram2500@sbcglobal.net

Avoiding spooking deer exiting a large corn field after a hu

Unread postby dan88 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:59 am

I'm going to brush in a blind in standing corn we left where the deer cross the field of this point. I was planning in entering from the road so I don't get my scent all over the timber. I will be walking 800 yards through a corn field. I was wondering what other people do to avoid spooking deer that are out in the fields feeding. Should I wait till it's completely dark to exit?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Re: Avoiding spooking deer exiting a large corn field after

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:50 am

I have to deal with this all the time. If you have to walk out through the field you won't get away with it too many times before the jig is up. Best case scenario is to have someone drive a truck right too you in the blind. This will move them off naturally as they will pass it off as routine farm work. If you can't do that then I've found it best to move on the opposite side of a hedge row or just inside the main woods line.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:32 pm

Yes best case is someone drives in, gently pushes the deer out, and picks you up. Otherwise, don't rely on JUST darkness to hide you. Remember that deer walk around every night in the dark without running into trees so why think they can't see you? ? Move slow, stay concealed, and stalk your way back out of there just as you would approach a setup for a hunt.

Not all those who wander are lost...
dan88
Facebook: dansram2500@sbcglobal.net

Unread postby dan88 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:29 am

I wish I could have someone pick me up in a truck but I don't have that option. I walked the tractor path up through the woods last night to avoid spooking deer out in the field. I run into the same situation with deer other in the field when I hunt this fence row across the field. I can't access from the neighbors so I have to walk across the field. I guess I will only hunt that once then wait till the rut to hunt it again so I don't put to much pressure on the deer out there feeding. I know they can see me after dark and smell me after I have been there I was just hoping being out in a farm field they would be used to a little human scent out there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”