Topo mapping software

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigeasy08

Topo mapping software

Unread postby Bigeasy08 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Hey guys,

New to the site but have been following it for awhile. It seems like a great community and literally an infinite wealth of knowledge so I just wanted to say thanks and I appreciate that.

One question I would like to ask is if anyone here knows of a good topographical map program for the computer. Something a little more in depth than say, Google Earth.

Thanks for all the help!

Mark

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jackson Marsh

Re: Topo mapping software

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Have you tried caltopo? I've got all my waypoints on it, it works well. If you have a lot of waypoints it does get a little slow if they are all saved under the same map.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bobbo1686

Unread postby bobbo1686 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:05 am

You can get the basic caltopo layout on Google Earth if you want it. The thing about Google Earth that is really nice is that you can change the orientation that you're looking at the terrain, overlay other data, change the time of day and even the time of the aerials that you're looking at. You can create folders and subfolders of your hunting areas and all the points/lines/polygons associated with those. Very powerful stuff if you're doing desktop scouting. PM me your email and I will send you a topo overlay for Google Earth that I use all the time for my macro level scouting.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:05 am

x2 on caltopo

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”