Hunting during floods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dubbs

Hunting during floods

Unread postby dubbs » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:01 am

With all the wet weather we've had in MN, Iowa, and WI recently, I've been thinking about how flood waters can impact hunting. I have a couple of stands that are inaccessible at the moment. And I'm sure flooding has impacted deer movement as well.

Obviously hunting isn't a top priority during a flood emergency, but I think that we could take advantage of the change in the deer's environment during a flood.

Maybe you know a nice buck is bedding in an area that is prone to flooding. Once the flood happens you could probably bet he will now be bedding somewhere dry. If you know where that dry spot is you might have a chance to kill him.

Or it could impact travel routes for deer. If you can figure out where deer are avoiding high water you might be able to put yourself in a position to get a chance at a buck that you might not typically be able to.

Does anyone have any other experience or insight on how to hunt during flood conditions?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Re: Hunting during floods

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:38 am

I like flooding and high water in marshes because it concentrates the bedding to certain key areas. Knowing these spots can really put you in a good position when that happens. Certain travel routes are also altered to higher ground areas. Granted deer will still travel in deep water but still concentrate to the paths of least resistance unless they are being highly pressured.

One problem I am running into this year is that my normal buck bedding areas are suddenly being taken over by antlerless deer. Been a long time since I have seen this and after much thought I believe high water has these bedding areas stacked up with much more deer now in the limited preferred beds.

Good topic. This is my view on marsh hunting. Interested to hear about other terrains.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”