Acorns in North Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Acorns in North Country

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:57 am

Good afternoon folks! I am a newbie to this forum(and Bow Hunting) and this is my first post so I apologize if my answer can be found under an existing post. I am curious what the acorn crop looks like this year. I live in Minnesota and I have not seen many acorns on the Burr Oaks this season. Was there a late freeze or something? If there are trees with acorns in my area, does anyone know when deer would starting hitting them?

Thanks everyone!!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
arpy00

Re: Acorns in North Country

Unread postby arpy00 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:10 am

I am in Western Wisconsin...we had a late freeze in April. Acorns are scarce in this area as well. There are some, but very spotty and not a whole lot of them.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:11 am

Welcome! Where im at we have a lot this season already. Search the next couple pages of Deer Hunting section, there was a thread recently about this. My suggestion for scarce acorns is seek out N facing slopes, patches at the tops and someone said ridge saddles are a good place to look.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:56 am

There is a local patch of hardwoods that I like to squirrel hunt on. I took a half day of vacation today walked all over looking for fresh falling acorns. I didn't find any. This is the worst I've ever seen it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Upper Iowa

Unread postby Upper Iowa » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Here in NE Iowa, yes we had a late freeze & hardly have any acorns. Only trees I've found them on are east facing up on top of ridges, which get the most sun light. Apple trees in the valleys had the same effect, only the ones up top of the ridges have apples, others in the valley flowered out then got hit by the frost & did not produce.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Not sure how it is in MN, but in my part of WI i haven't heard a single acorn drop this fall.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:32 pm

Not finding or hearing much for acorns in the woods either, rare bad year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”