Mathematics and hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Mathematics and hill country

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:50 am

I may be taking this to a bit more mathematical level but I use this equation when plotting points on blind hunts. Not sure if it is 100% accurate, and there are often unforeseen variables but doing it this way has helped me on blind hunts. Just stinks when you find that perfect east wind spot a mile or 2 back in only to find it is actually a clear cut with no food sources. :shock: Hope this can help you cyber scouting guys like me.

(highest elevation-lowest elevation)= total rise in elevation

(total rise in elevation * .66)= elevation from bottom to where to find tunnel

bottom level + elevation from bottom to where to find tunnel= elevation of travel.

EXAMPLE

2500'-1800'=700'

700'*.66= 462'

1800'+462'=2262'

I go to my topo map app and find the points that I would expect the bucks to bed on. From there I plot those points at that elevation. I pick my best access to this point and start to walk in. Ill check my gps and Really start paying attention when I get close to that elevation. I have done this many times on blind hunts on the game lands I hunt, and normally you can get with in 50-100 yards of a deer trail. No whether it is a hot spot for deer, or not is up to the daylight to tell. But it really helps narrow down that time. After the hunt is over, if I see deer using an unforeseen trail or something like that, I will walk that way and plot that point, or a tree close to it to hunt, and delete the old way point.

Probably making it more complicated than what it is but that is how I do it and have had success. LOL No whoppers killed but using that equation has increased my sighting drastically.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Mathematics and hill country

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:01 am

Makes perfect sense to me. Maps get us in the ballpark, observations get us in the game.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:07 am

I now try and check either bing, or google maps in the birdseye view if I can before setting my hunt in stone. Not always the best way to check it out but better than putting in those miles, only to kick the bucket for finding a tree to hunt. LOL
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:26 am

Nice write up! I say use the system that works best for you and it seems you got yours down! I generally use the one darker topo line for reference. Obviously its not always in exact position but gives me a general idea. I find deer trails aren't far off from that topo line

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”