First night out with the saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: First night out with the saddle

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:51 pm

PK_ wrote:There is no comfier stand on the market than the Guidos Web. I sold mine because it just isn't practical for warm weather which is what I hunt mostly…

Built a DIY saddle, haven't had a chance to use it yet...

Tonight, scouted 3hrs with all my gear. It worked out really well.

ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:30 am

I'm a long time saddle user. As you are seeing, it gets easier and more comfortable each time you go out. It's quick, quiet, and versatile. I like being able to change my view yet maintain the same body position. And you can always be in the "right" place/position for a shot just by stepping around the tree. Very comfortable once you get it dialed in.
drew13

Unread postby drew13 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:55 am

I am also from Maine and a long-time saddle hunter. I think a saddle is the ultimate mobile setup for portability, quietness and being able to get in just about any tree. I think you'll like it.

I understand the foot discomfort of standing on screw-ins for a long time. Ameristeps on a strap are more forgiving but if you want to use screw-ins then some options to make them more comfortable are:
  • Put rubber fuel hose on the step for a little cushioning
  • Steel shank boots are supposed to help
  • Bicycle pedals slid onto the steps to make a wider platform

Hope that helps. I am in the Portland to Freeport area and have tried quite a few different saddle and climbing options if you want to talk about stuff.

-Drew
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:37 am

drew13 wrote:I am also from Maine and a long-time saddle hunter. I think a saddle is the ultimate mobile setup for portability, quietness and being able to get in just about any tree. I think you'll like it.

I understand the foot discomfort of standing on screw-ins for a long time. Ameristeps on a strap are more forgiving but if you want to use screw-ins then some options to make them more comfortable are:
  • Put rubber fuel hose on the step for a little cushioning
  • Steel shank boots are supposed to help
  • Bicycle pedals slid onto the steps to make a wider platform

Hope that helps. I am in the Portland to Freeport area and have tried quite a few different saddle and climbing options if you want to talk about stuff.

-Drew

Drew - wicked funny you mention the bicycle pedals. EXACTLY the same thought I had.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Figured I would circle back on this one.

As I was leaving the woods today after scouting, realized how much the saddle really fits my style. I have always been a very mobile hunter. Part of it is just my nature, part of it is where I live. Deer are constantly shifting, moving. Very few places do I find that I will put up a permanent stand. Used a lot of climbers over the years. BUT they need straight trees with no limbs. Acorns drop. Bucks may me on them, may not. Food sources constantly changing.

I have so many spots to hunt...putting up treestands in all of them, would cost more $$ than I have to spend. PLUS, the amount of sets that I would have to hang and then never hunt. Now, just pick a tree, cut shooting lanes (or not)...knowing in 10 minutes I can be up and hunting. It allows me to inseason scout and hunt instantly.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:15 pm

Just getting into the sit/drag this season. I did the mod like Dave's sticks. Seems like it's going to work quite well. The XOP lock-on and 4 sticks was a lil much for those long hikes up and down the hills. Still not certain on how I want my bridge though. I might just go with the nylon bridge instead.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:12 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Figured I would circle back on this one.

As I was leaving the woods today after scouting, realized how much the saddle really fits my style. I have always been a very mobile hunter. Part of it is just my nature, part of it is where I live. Deer are constantly shifting, moving. Very few places do I find that I will put up a permanent stand. Used a lot of climbers over the years. BUT they need straight trees with no limbs. Acorns drop. Bucks may me on them, may not. Food sources constantly changing.

I have so many spots to hunt...putting up treestands in all of them, would cost more $$ than I have to spend. PLUS, the amount of sets that I would have to hang and then never hunt. Now, just pick a tree, cut shooting lanes (or not)...knowing in 10 minutes I can be up and hunting. It allows me to inseason scout and hunt instantly.

I've had a saddle for years and still enjoy using it occasionally. I mainly use a climber here in the south as we normally have the trees for it. I'm still trying to get quicker with the saddle as it takes me longer to set up than the climber and being no spring chicken, it's a little more physical than the climber.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:26 am

Enjoy reading your saddle updates maine! This will be my first season in one. I'm sure there will be many kinks to work out, but I'm excited about it.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:35 am

mainebowhunter wrote:I have so many spots to hunt...putting up treestands in all of them, would cost more $$ than I have to spend. PLUS, the amount of sets that I would have to hang and then never hunt. Now, just pick a tree, cut shooting lanes (or not)...knowing in 10 minutes I can be up and hunting. It allows me to inseason scout and hunt instantly.

And easier to carry and way more comfortable than most hang-ons
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:22 am

My first update will be an addition rope man one replacing the prussic, replacing one on my tether. Bridge has one. Mugh preferred to a prussic.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by mainebowhunter on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:26 am

I have enjoyed setting up much mr9e since I went to my saddle system. I can get in most trees with far less noise and movement then I ever could with a conventional stand. Comfort wise now I hate sitting in a traditional stand. And my entire gear (saddle, sticks, platform, daypack and hunting gear) that lets me scout and hunt weights about the same as a Lone wolf stand alone. I'll probably give up tree hunting altogether when the time comes I can no longer physically or safely use my hunting saddle.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:57 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I have enjoyed setting up much mr9e since I went to my saddle system. I can get in most trees with far less noise and movement then I ever could with a conventional stand. Comfort wise now I hate sitting in a traditional stand. And my entire gear (saddle, sticks, platform, daypack and hunting gear) that lets me scout and hunt weights about the same as a Lone wolf stand alone. I'll probably give up tree hunting altogether when the time comes I can no longer physically or safely use my hunting saddle.

I find myself kind of leaning the same way, especially for run and gun kind of setups. And I use tree pegs, which all fit right in my fanny pack. Hard to believe that little bit of gear will get me up a tree. No bulk, less weight and its pretty comfortable. Not as comfortable as my climber but the tradeoff is worth it.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:09 am

mainebowhunter wrote:My first update will be an addition rope man one replacing the prussic, replacing one on my tether. Bridge has one. Mugh preferred to a prussic.

You're using a ropeman on your bridge? Interesting, haven't thought of that though I have one on tether and one coming for lineman's belt. Are you adjusting your bridge length often?
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:00 am

thwack16 wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:My first update will be an addition rope man one replacing the prussic, replacing one on my tether. Bridge has one. Mugh preferred to a prussic.

You're using a ropeman on your bridge? Interesting, haven't thought of that though I have one on tether and one coming for lineman's belt. Are you adjusting your bridge length often?

Yes. I adjust my bridge however it feels most comfortable. I also use my bridge as a linemans belt. It means one less rope to carry. Two ropes do everything I need. The issue I am having is the climbing rope I am using takes me a bit to get the prussic to really bite. So put 1 more wrap with my prussic to see if that gives me more bite. But I really like the ropemans a lot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”