Timber Transitions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Timber Transitions

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:13 pm

timberwolf311 wrote:When scouting or hunting transitions what should I look for? I am talking specially timber to timber transitions. How does terrain and elevation play a role? What time of year can they be taken advantage of?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Besides the obvious hardwood to softwood Transitions, any creek, ditch, river will also produce a transition. Old Stone fences or wire fences are also a good one. Benches, bridges, and other terrain elevation changes are also good.
Probably the most subtle and hardest to find is where there's canopy changes, to wear dark timber separated from light timber.... these are really good early season. Different age of trees, especially like you see on pine tree farms can produce good edges. Lakes and marshes that back up to timber. Standing corn next to timber, CRP that backs up to timber. Oil and power line right aways, rail roads, old two tracks, etc.... lots of edges some obvious, some not so much.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:24 pm

^^^^ Dave covered what I could think of.
-Rick
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:55 pm

I like to see cover transitions line up with other factors to create even more concentrated deer movement. As Dave suggested a ditch or fence can create a travel bottleneck and if there is a cover transition that also goes through the spot, things get even better. In hill country I really like cover transitions (from thicker cover to open timber or similar combination) that run along leeward ridge slopes. Those are often great buck cruising routes in the rut. The transition lines around large doe bedding areas are also usually used by rutting bucks, those on the downwind side and also across the doe entrance trails.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:50 am

timberwolf311 wrote:Thanks guys!! I know what a transition is and where to find them but how do younarrow down where is best part of the transtion. I may have a mature timber hit a crab apple thicket and it could be a mile or more long where those two covers converge.

I'm not a Beast yet, but I would say your best bet to narrow it down would be to walk the transition and look for other transitions within the timber/crab apple transition as Dave and Joe suggested. If you can't walk it before season I would be looking at a topo for terrain features that would be used along the transition. Good luck!

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:18 am

timberwolf311 wrote:Thanks guys!! I know what a transition is and where to find them but [glow=red]how do younarrow down where is best part of the transtion[/glow]. I may have a mature timber hit a crab apple thicket and it could be a mile or more long where those two covers converge.

Get out in the woods and look for sign? Seriously, no one can tell you what a best location to hunt along a transition is as the bucks determine that. What I find on one property may not carry over to the next. Sorry no short cut here for time spent in the woods, scouting for sign and experience with a property will show you which ones are best (for that given year/time/season). I do think Joe hit upon what to look for - where two or more factors converge -- double/triple funnel. Look where a ridge, creek or other natural funnel works in conjunction with the transition. Sometimes it can be parallel and sometimes it will run right through the transition.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:11 am

I thought i gave a pretty good list of things to look for "see" on maps and aerials.... can't help ya past that.... perhaps another will jump in here and help you out better.

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:56 am

Stupid question... define hardwood and softwood... lol if someone could I would appreciate it.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:07 pm

timberwolf311 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:I thought i gave a pretty good list of things to look for "see" on maps and aerials.... can't help ya past that.... perhaps another will jump in here and help you out better.

Thanks so much for all your help DaveT1963

No problem. I didn't really want to give up my best secret to hunting transitions on the internet and all, but you seem like a stand up kind of guy. They are really hard to see from aerials and maps but if you can find a couple of these.... money. Just keeping it light bro.

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Jrichard wrote:Stupid question... define hardwood and softwood... lol if someone could I would appreciate it.

I'd define hardwood as deciduous trees and softwood as conifer. What I'd be looking at primarily is the edge of oak or maple and some sort of pine. Usually really easy to see on a fall or winter aerial.

Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:34 am

For decades I hunted a piece of public that was a classic transition situation. An old grown up road intersected an old fence line. The road came out of a big field and into the timber. A spruce stand was behind me and a small crabapple patch in front of me. My stand height was exactly 12' and my maximum shot was 18 yards. If I tried to hang my stand any higher I couldn't shoot anywhere because of the thick spruces and crabapples. It was a natural travel area for bucks passing through the area during the rut. I killed a lot of deer out of that tree. Finding a spot like this is real special.

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”