Will your kids be better hunters than you?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Will your kids be better hunters than you?

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:41 pm

No......... I only have one daughter and she is a nurse with a full plate. She does fish some but will never be a better hunter than the old man. No brag just fact. I'm sure she would agree with me.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 pm

I hope so. But it's going to come down to wanting it. They will have way more information than I ever did but they're going to need to put the work in. Now I'm not raising lazy kids, but I can't be sure where their passions will be when they are at that age when they can hit their hunting beast stride. I hope they can drag me around and put me on some deer!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:09 pm

matt1336 wrote:I hope so. But it's going to come down to wanting it. They will have way more information than I ever did but they're going to need to put the work in. Now I'm not raising lazy kids, but I can't be sure where their passions will be when they are at that age when they can hit their hunting beast stride. I hope they can drag me around and put me on some deer!

I'm in the same boat with my son. He shows plenty of interest and is willing to go the extra mile most kids today are not, but you never know when it comes to hitting that age were their interests get pulled in 20 different directions. I am fairly sure he will be a hunter for the rest of his life, but whether he picks up the passion for it that I have remains to be seen. It is hard at times to not push to much.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
HELENVILLEHUNTER

Unread postby HELENVILLEHUNTER » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:44 pm

This was really a good topic and I agree with all your posts and have enjoyed reading them. It was refreshing in this day and age to see your responses. Buckshot 20 hit the nail on the head with this one. I think we all hope our kids will follow in our footsteps in regards to hunting but not all will and that is just fine. Whatever they decide to do I will be there to support them through the success and failure, hopefully teaching them lessons about life along the way. In the end though, the most important thing will be the time spent with both my boys. Hopefully it will be in the woods, but if not it will still be quality time spent with each one, and time that we all know goes to fast and is gone before we know it. And to answer the question, one boy will be a better hunter than me and the other probably will just come to deer camp to hang out with his cousins, might not even hunt.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:22 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:No.

I have daughters, very few if any females have the desire/motivation to put in all the work that it takes. That's not a bad thing either. At least they will respect hunting and the outdoors and hopefully raise another generation of buck slayers.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Two daughters here as well, though I believe mine are well younger than yours (mine are 4 and 5). I'd like to say they can be if they want to, and I think that is generally the truth, but more practically I'm not sure how invested they will get when life starts to happen. Right now they love doing anything with their dad, including hunting, fishing, looking at maps, walking in the woods, butchering, shooting bows, but I'm realistic enough to know I have an uphill battle ahead of me if they are ever going to be my hunting buddies the way I am with my dad. Won't push anything on them and I'm truly ok if it ends that way, but they will have every opportunity I can give them to get into hunting and be better than me at it.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:45 am

Time will only tell, like said they need the drive and that drive probably triggers at different points in everybody's life. One thing i know is that my sons interest has increased my drive (I think) :lol: Which is a good thing! I agree with JoeRe if they enjoy the outdoors that's all that really matters
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:36 am

they wont bc if they start to ill sneakfully put deer away on their hunting gear... Muhahaha!

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 am

I really depends on if it becomes a passion to my 2. Things can change so quickly, so at this point I'm not sure. I've often wondered this. My kids love the outdoors and being apart of what I love, but I don't know yet if they have the passion I do for it. I'm careful not to push and I want them to choose. So often at there ages (13 and 10) they are learning themselves and figuring out new things they may or may not like. I see the excitement now and that's what I focus on with them. When I was there age I was quite different, I read, breathed and talked whitetails, shooting bows, and hunting strategies with my dad and the adults. I hated when my dad went in the woods without me, and consequently he always took me :lol: it's followed me into my adult years. I do know that my kids have spoke often of how hard it would be to fill there fathers shoes, to which I've said I thought the same thing of my father. But his wisdom and knowledge, along with my desire to keep pushing forward and keep learning put me in a position to "up the game" so to speak. That kind of pressure eats grown men, let alone children. Every opportunity I get to keep them involved and to make it a positive experience is what I hope for: whether they take it to the level of their father is really going to be up to them. Time will be the answer to this question for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”