Please help me analyze this micro-property

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
keepthefevercalls

Please help me analyze this micro-property

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:21 am

Hey guys, another question for you...I have access to about 20 acres of private. Here is an aerial.

The red is the boundary..the thick green is now a field that was previously timber. The white is a cowpath of a deer trail. The Orange is a DOT fence to keep the deer from crossing the highway. However, part of that fence fell over at the West end where there is a curve. This is the only spot the deer can walk right through without having to jump the fence. The purple line is a gully crossing. On the right side of the fence there is an old roadbed that runs through the property. It follows nearly the exact path of the fence. The deer seem to use where the fence fell as a perfect intersection to get across the fence and cross the gully, as the rest of that area close to the highway is very thick and perfect bedding for farm country. Throughout the summer we have seen deer feeding in the fields on this property.
Basically just outside of town are several large cornfields. I am thinking that the deer are using this strip of woods to funnel through to surrounding agriculture once that ag is available. How do you think they are traveling in terms of wind? I am having a tough time figuring out how to access it. I can access from the highway, the East end of the property or the North end.
I have a buck tag for this area. Should I just leave it alone till the rut and then hope one funnels through?
I am letting a camera soak on the west end of the trail to figure out travel patterns, then I will go through and write down when bucks came through and with what wind, but I would like to hunt it once or twice this year as it is close to home.

I am sure that is a tough to sort through ramble, let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks.
Mike

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Please help me analyze this micro-property

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:33 am

keepthefevercalls wrote:Hey guys, another question for you...I have access to about 20 acres of private. Here is an aerial.

The red is the boundary..the thick green is now a field that was previously timber. The white is a cowpath of a deer trail. The Orange is a DOT fence to keep the deer from crossing the highway. However, part of that fence fell over at the West end where there is a curve. This is the only spot the deer can walk right through without having to jump the fence. The purple line is a gully crossing. On the right side of the fence there is an old roadbed that runs through the property. It follows nearly the exact path of the fence. The deer seem to use where the fence fell as a perfect intersection to get across the fence and cross the gully, as the rest of that area close to the highway is very thick and perfect bedding for farm country. Throughout the summer we have seen deer feeding in the fields on this property.
Basically just outside of town are several large cornfields. I am thinking that the deer are using this strip of woods to funnel through to surrounding agriculture once that ag is available. How do you think they are traveling in terms of wind? I am having a tough time figuring out how to access it. I can access from the highway, the East end of the property or the North end.
I have a buck tag for this area. Should I just leave it alone till the rut and then hope one funnels through?
I am letting a camera soak on the west end of the trail to figure out travel patterns, then I will go through and write down when bucks came through and with what wind, but I would like to hunt it once or twice this year as it is close to home.

I am sure that is a tough to sort through ramble, let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks.
Mike

IMO - It wouldn't hurt to hit it once or twice during the early season - if nothing is there let it rest until the rut. I would inspect that fence funnel for tracks in either case as you might be able to find some tracks to confirm a buck is using the area. A camera there would also not be a bad idea.
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:42 am

A hole in the fence is an ace in the hole!

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:43 am

Looks like a great spot for rut. That strip connects everything.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:57 am

If it's thick along the highway and not alot of foot traffic they may bed there and use the highway has a backer. They may bed close to the hole in the fence. I have one spot that has a big tunnel going below the highway they walk.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:53 am

Previous to the beast I had a cam on a trail over a pile of corn...I have seen 4 different bucks come through to that, one of which is a legal shooter for me...he only showed up once.
Now that I have read up on things I am not checking it as much..so I guess I will learn from soaking it and hunting there a few times, and will hopefully know more for next year. I guess if it connects everything it is not wind specific and it would be best to hunt it on a NE or SW wind from where I am thinking of setting up..
Thanks all! I am thinking access may be best getting in there in the afternoon as there is no way around that field unless I come in from the highway, but then I risk bumping beds.

Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:58 am

Without having scouted this, if I was to go in blind I would wait for a NW wind. I would walk the east fence line from the highway up to the north, cut into the woods and set up just North East of the fence opening, in-between it and that inside corner of the field. That is a classic double funnel. Probably other good areas but based on what you have said that would be my first blind choice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”