Setting up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Setting up

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:20 pm

My very rough estimate is 20 minutes but could be 30.
I spent last season really getting comfortable with the mobile gear. My system gives me confidence and that is important.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:23 pm

I have actually had to stop climbing, pull up my bow and was standing on a stick and shot a buck from 12 foot up and 15 yards out.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:23 pm

One of the best pieces of advice I learned here was from either Dan or SB. It's the sit and relax for 5 or 10 minutes about 100 to 200 yards out from your tree, it really helps me relax and slow down. Usually I'm in a hurry through the junk terrain and it's easy to get sloppy without the calm down rest.

When setting the stand I like the buckles on my side of the stand, makes for less fumbling around when you are up on the sticks. Slow down has been preached on here alot and it really works. Slow down on your final approach and while setting the stand. Slow is smooth, smooth is quiet :lol:

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:29 pm

JM brings up a very valid point. I honestly believe one of the main factors why people have less success in the mornings is because they think under the cover of Darkness they can move quicker and wind up moving too fast so they can get set up and ready.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Bubbles wrote:True. I am strapped in, for sure. I just like to have an idea of how long my setup will take for the purpose of budgeting time.

I'm slow. Takes me 30-40mins usually for 4-5 sticks.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:34 pm

I've seen different guys talk about 5 min or 8 min treestand setup. It takes me 1/2hour on average to do it with 3 or 4 sticks without making a sound. I keep the tree between me and the bedding area if I can.

Years ago ,I guess im like JM, Singing Bridge talked about as your getting close to sit and take a break. Gather yourself. Then go in mentally ready for task at hand. It's always stuck with me. And Dan also saying something to the effect.. if your noisey slow down it. It's not a race. It seems like everyone is in a hurry and walks right by things or rushes them.

Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:23 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:I have actually had to stop climbing, pull up my bow and was standing on a stick and shot a buck from 12 foot up and 15 yards out.

Hmm might be good to practice this move.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:37 pm

The PC answer is to say as long as it takes to be quiet and stealthy, but an actual time frame for me is about 15-20 mins. And that's taking my time. I have a 2 rope system. Once sticks are stapped on. My stand is on my back, bow attached to one rope. Clothes and bag to the other: I tie ropes of each side left and right and ascend tree. Stand goes on and cam locked. I quietly get into my stand, pull rope with bow first, hang bow with arrow nocked, then I pull my pack/clothes up. Take a minute to cool off in the stand before I dress and ready for my hunt. Many times I've shot deer before I could even get a chance to pull pack up, or get dressed or stop sweating :lol: it's just what works for me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:03 am

My average time ranges from 8-15 minutes. The tree & cover around it really dictates how long the climb & set will take.

I think the key to having a quiet, efficent climb is to have a system & gear prepped before you get to the tree. I use aiders on all my sticks so the key to my setup is keeping all the aiders & straps organized & tangle free. Once at the base of my tree it's just a matter of pulling sticks off my back & climbing. I also think using a linemen's belt to be hands free limits excessive movement.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:24 am

I have learned that deer are different ALL the time. I've had times where I had to get someone to go running through the woods to get them out from under my stand and I've had times where a neighbor's car door a half mile away freaked them out. I've had times where they didn't react all to my entry/exit scent and I've had times when they got within 30 feet of it and freaked out. Bottom line is can't take unnecessary chances with respect to detection but I'm also not gonna freak out if I do get detected.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:36 am

As far as how long it takes to climb and set up my saddle for the hunt - I really have no clue as I have never timed it. I take a lot of time. I set a stick, climb up and then I listen for a few, set the next stick, climb up and listen....... I have had deer and all kinds of critters come through while setting up in the early AM. I usually hear them and just stop what I am doing and let them walk by. I am usually there 2 hours early so I am not in a big hurry.

I probably resemble a sloth while climbing - but it works for me....
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:00 am

Pretty much everything has been covered already, slow is the key. If you bump a deer just stop for 5-10 minutes, if you make a loud noise do the same. The worst thing you can do is make constant noise, some noise is ok but constant noise is going to freak them out. I've bumped deer and had them come right back, only to have to bump them again. Good and bad when that happens, you obviously didn't freak them out but now they are in your way again. :lol:

Like many I don't time myself, however the conditions play a big roll. Windy out and I am setup pretty fast, dead calm and it might take 45 minutes or more.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:19 am

I'm the odd man out here. I time my setups all the time,not during actual setup, but during practice. I also video often to review setup noise & movement. I feel having an estimate of time allows for you to better plan your access. Let's say I'm trying to cash in on that last 45 minutes of falling thermals. If I don't have an estimate setup time I can't calculate the distance to push in & wait for those thermals. Sure trail & error will eventually work, but on limited time I trying to capitalize on every opportunity or at least limit variables under my control.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25884&hilit=Mock+setup&start=15

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:22 am

DaveT1963 wrote:JM brings up a very valid point. I honestly believe one of the main factors why people have less success in the mornings is because they think under the cover of Darkness they can move quicker and wind up moving too fast so they can get set up and ready.

I definitely agree with this and it's one aspect I've really focused on to improve at. I think we hunters go out in the morning and since we can't see well we feel as if we can just blaze into our spot and nothing will see. But deer being mostly nocturnal are designed for low light and night time with their vision so we humans are always at a disadvantage in the early mornings. For me I really focus on my entry in early mornings as I've screwed up way too many times at this time, sometimes I'm a slow learner ;). Great topic btw!

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:39 am

A lot of good points made already.

I move very quickly through the woods up till the last 100-200 yards. Then yea "stalking the tree" is a good analogy for how to move. That is the point when I put on my outer layer of clothes too, before the final approach. That allows me to not get too sweat up while moving fast, and still be warm enough on stand. I am careful about where I walk even when covering those long distances up until the final approach - I really like using waterways and ditches for entry and exit to stay hidden and to contain my scent pretty well.

Setting up - probably quite a few guys can set up faster and more silently than me. I have to go really slow or I feel like I make a racket, takes me at least 20 minutes to put up 3 or 4 sticks, get up the tree, and pull my bow up. In certain situations, like when the wind is screaming, I will move faster. If its dead calm, even slower. Simply a matter of judging how easily deer may hear me.

Because setup for hunting out of a tree is painstakingly slow, that makes me enjoy hunting from the ground even more, when I can. I can literally sit down, take my quiver off, knock an arrow, and am ready in seconds. Just like trees most of those ground setups are picked out and ready months in advance. I will say it till I am blue in the face - yes there are limitations as well but setting up on the ground is pretty much always faster and quieter than climbing up a tree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”