Midwest Whitetail -- good online episode with mapping

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Midwest Whitetail -- good online episode with mapping

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Not super detailed but pretty cool with the topo maps and the drone talking about an area they call 'Death Ridge".
http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gallery/200/media/7033/midwest-whitetails-latest-show.html

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Midwest Whitetail -- good online episode with mapping

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 24, 2016 1:02 pm

Guess there is more next week...thought the whole show was going to be about mapping.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed May 25, 2016 11:04 am

I watched that and liked it too. Bill does a good job breaking down things like topography so most anybody can understand it.

One thing I find interesting is how Bill never seems to have caught onto how bucks use terrain to cruise, i.e. cruising trails along leeward slopes, parallel trails and such. He doesn't explain very well why bucks consistently go through that area but looking at the map and applying all the stuff talked about on here you can tell. That stand he has talked about for many years and I have wondered for a long time how he decided to hunt the spot in the first place it because he doesn't seem to know exactly what makes it so good. Most of his other spots you see him in are far more traditional, find a bunch of trails in a funnel that sort of thing. Somebody needs to send him Dan's Hill Country DVD :lol:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 25, 2016 11:37 am

Be interesting to see more detail about it. But not sure we are going to hear it. I really like Bill. One of my favorite shows. He plays it way way safer than I would though. Not a lot of mobility with him.

It's interesting because he kind of represents how I thought most guys in the midwest hunted. Which is...food plot central. Problem is when they don't work...your dead in the water. Then I came to the beast...not this group of guys! Bunch of knowledgeable guys who do not depend on food plots to get it done.

Don't have to worry about the swirling winds now...ozonics to the rescue!! They have now added them to their roster of products.

Sure has killed some beauties on that farm!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed May 25, 2016 11:56 am

I think your assessment is pretty spot on. In many cases that's all that needed to get the job done. Look the giants Bill's put down, he hasn't needed to continue to evolve and grow as a hunter. I don't mean to be too hard on him. I like him as a writer, and have a huge amount of respect for his building MWW, basically pioneering semi-live online FREE hunting shows and showing every inch of his season for what, eight years now? I admit its easy to armchair quarterback someone who puts themselves out like that. I respect his long term commitment.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed May 25, 2016 12:15 pm

I still watch MWW. It's entertaining to me and Bill seems like a real down to earth humble guy. I don't pay attention to his "tactics" anymore because they just don't work where I hunt. That's how I ended up in the beast in the first place; searching for ways to be more consistent.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed May 25, 2016 12:32 pm

That Wild turkey Marsala looks delicious!!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 25, 2016 1:28 pm

JoeRE wrote:I think your assessment is pretty spot on. In many cases that's all that needed to get the job done. Look the giants Bill's put down, he hasn't needed to continue to evolve and grow as a hunter. I don't mean to be too hard on him. I like him as a writer, and have a huge amount of respect for his building MWW, basically pioneering semi-live online FREE hunting shows and showing every inch of his season for what, eight years now? I admit its easy to armchair quarterback someone who puts themselves out like that. I respect his long term commitment.

Yeah. Same here. He is one of my all time favorites. Watched just about every one of episodes of the show. What I do find interesting though...you cannot kill what is not there. Pretty basic principal. No matter the tactic, no matter the weapon. Sanctuaries, food plots ...even a primo farm in IOWA. If there are no Booners living on your ground, your not going to kill one. You either have to hunt a different property, settle for a lesser buck or not fill a tag. Watched Bill go through this whole process since he killed the g4 and g5 buck. Then watched that other buck die of EHD.

I just watch sometimes and scratch my head. Remember watching a show where big bucks were cutting the bottom of a corn field...I was yelling "move move move" lol. I was definitely arm chair quarterbacking that one thats for sure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”