Thermals and cedar swamp bedding in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Thermals and cedar swamp bedding in hill country

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat May 21, 2016 2:57 pm

I've got a spot in hill country where at the bottom of the hill is a cedar swamp bedding area, the top 1/3 is quite a ways from the bedding area, I think it's too far for any consistent daytime buck movement. Can I setup in the bottom in the bedding area or will I have thermal issues?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Thermals and cedar swamp bedding in hill country

Unread postby dan » Sun May 22, 2016 1:37 am

Its going to be tough... If hills completely surround the swamp and its small, expect swirling winds. Sometimes you can get the wind to blow in a direction down a valley between hills, but even then expect the last 1/2 hour to hour to have all the thermals dropping off the hills to the valley... If my scenario is spot on, I would consider a morning hunt.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun May 22, 2016 8:04 am

dan wrote:Its going to be tough... If hills completely surround the swamp and its small, expect swirling winds. Sometimes you can get the wind to blow in a direction down a valley between hills, but even then expect the last 1/2 hour to hour to have all the thermals dropping off the hills to the valley... If my scenario is spot on, I would consider a morning hunt.

There is a hill on west side of the cedar swamp, then the swamp goes for about a half mile, then it starts up a mountain. Does that make a difference? I dropped some milkweed mid day today but didn't get real consistent results. I've had good luck on does and small bucks in the area closer to the 1/3 before my beast days started

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 22, 2016 9:30 am

Not sure without looking at it... But if thats where the big ones are bedding, you should probably find a way to hunt them there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”