Early season deer camp, primitive camping

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tbunao
500 Club

Early season deer camp, primitive camping

Unread postby tbunao » Tue May 17, 2016 10:16 am

This September I'll be heading to hunt some private property in Ky and also have a huge sgl close by to also hunt as a back up. Even though there is an old house I'm opting to stay in a tent. I will most likely be bathing in a near by creek and running a propane stove. Anyways who has done a long distance early season hunt? What do you do during the morning to keep yourself busy until it's time to hit the evening stand? No cell service so I will not be able to tinder. (Jk). Anything that you found helpful during your hunt? Good stories? Bad stories? I'll be solo for the week and a half.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JackKnifeJake

Re: Early season deer camp, primitive camping

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Tue May 17, 2016 10:40 am

I like to take a book or two and read about the history of the area I'm hunting, also books on the Native American tribes that lived in the area. I'll leave the stand from that evenings hunt and hunt it again in the morning before taking it down and moving

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue May 17, 2016 10:56 am

Have you already pre scouted the area? If you've scouted on foot already and have an idea where you want to set up maybe you can set up observation from a good distance away in the morning. If not maybe scout new areas incase your plan a doesn't workout. Go out and put in the extra work. Maybe you will gain knowledge for future hunts.

Maybe do a blind sit somewhere other than your private spot. It can't hurt.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 17, 2016 11:01 am

I always bring a fishing rod and then never fish... I will hunt in the morning and then scout and usually about the time I get back from scouting im rushing to eat to get back out for the evening hunt.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 17, 2016 11:25 am

I was gonna say scout, scout and then scout some more. Dan beat me to it. :lol:

When I head up north I usually hunt mornings but in between then and my evening hunt I will spend the day scouting.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:00 pm

I would for sure hunt the morning from your previous sit. You are there to hunt and you never know. You might miss the exit and be on the j hook. Especially if you are going in blind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue May 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:I would for sure hunt the morning from your previous sit. You are there to hunt and you never know. You might miss the exit and be on the j hook. Especially if you are going in blind.

X2 can't kill em if you're not hunting

Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Tue May 17, 2016 1:13 pm

First I'd take some time to study the Bible. It could be a life changing 10 days. Then, I'd scout the SGL. I don't see much when I hunt, so I really enjoy scouting new areas :D . Also, a week and a half is a lot of solitude. You might want to find a nearby diner to catch lunch at. Sounds like a great time though.
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue May 17, 2016 1:21 pm

I like to bring old hunting books written by old time authors like wensal and rothhar. Ill be in Ohio the last week of September for an early season hunt except ill be staying in a house with electricity and internet. Not roughing it. Sounds like fun tho

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri May 20, 2016 12:42 pm

I was originally thinking of taking my fishing pole seeing the green river is near by. Being honest with myself that would just be more clutter in the vehicle. I know come September I'll be itching more than I am now to get in the field. I did place cameras out in March to try and get some inventory. With that I scouted the swamp portion of the private. It's a fluctuating swamp so that kind of causes a slight issue. I'm headed back down in July to check the cams and make any adjustments that are needed. I will also scout one more small section.
This will be my first time hunting in September so it's a little different for me. I planned the week in a half so I could set up and observe a few fields for a day or two. Kind of work from the outside in.

While doing in season scouting in September what are some key signs to focus on? I would hate to bump one but am not afraid to try a bump and dump. In a perfect world I hope to catch a good one on his way out to a field in the evening then catch him leaving a field in the am and go from there.

bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:33 pm

Camped for 12 days in Illinois last year in illinois in a tent. 5 gallon bucket shower. Was pretty awesome first few days. When I rained it pretty much sucked. But over all I enjoyed it. Kinda like resets my inner clock. Just enjoy it.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat May 21, 2016 6:54 am

I think going for multiple days can get mentally fatiguing. And then to be aware of it. Can't say it will happen but keep it in mind.

A written check list that shows goals or spots that need to be checked can keep a person positive and on track.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat May 21, 2016 7:10 am

I spend half my summer in a tent and it can be kind of a drag after awhile and camping and hunting can get to be like a job, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Baby wipes can't live without the baby wipes to clean up the goods. Bring a book, I always fall asleep to music in the head phones analyzing stuff and hanging out and watching some cave man TV (fire) at night is pretty therapeutic. Regardless it sound pretty rewarding regardless of the outcome. Allot of quiet contemplation and your there for a reason and its supposed to be fun. I got money on you scoring though. Gettin' lucky in Kentucky :handgestures-thumbup:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue May 24, 2016 4:46 am

I'm gonna be doing something similar but breaking it up into two 4-5 day long weekends - tent camping. My work is mentally taxing so having the time away from the computer is to be valued.

A book or fish pole is good in case you need it, usually enough stuff to mull over in the old melon to keep me good for about a week or so.

Enjoy your trip.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

You find a shady hill with some cedars above water, you might want to sit it..
Walk those flowing water sources near a bean field, persimmon or chestnuts, you will see the spots they water consistently, early they actually show up after shooting light in many cases.
You need to pay attention to the thermal with the rising sun though.
I hunted the same type of setup up in Barren/Monroe County Kentucky, targeted a specific buck opening week. The whole bachelor group bedded on a ridge between a high field and creek. Two mornings in a row, they came down to the water right after sunrise.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”