Inside or outside????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Inside or outside????

Unread postby oldrank » Mon May 16, 2016 11:09 am

You are hunting a cattail marsh pot hole in the center of hardwoods setting. The marsh has a beaver pond in its center that is surrounded by cattials for a couple hundred yards the entire perimeter. There is bedding just inside the red brush. The entire area is 50 acres. How would you hunt this? Inside the red brush/cattail perimeter or outside at the hardwood/red brush peremiter? Does time of season matter? This would be on heavy pressured public.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Inside or outside????

Unread postby dan » Mon May 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Where I sit exactly, and how close will be determined based on where the bedding is, or is perceived to be. Regardless of the terrain, I am as close to the beds as possible. If I can get into the dogwood/cattails without spooking great, im in there. if not, im not.
oldrank

Re: Inside or outside????

Unread postby oldrank » Mon May 16, 2016 12:44 pm

Thx Dan, would you expect to see any inner perimeter movement during the day or just key on exiting of the beds in the evening? If a buck felt secure moving during daylight hrs inside the perimeter it seems like there could be possible advantage for him to use the cattials to travel safely. Last yr I had 2 bucks move into the cattails at dark. They came through n moved towards a corn field just outside the marsh. Being pressured public it was safer for them to travel the length of the marsh then pop out into the cornfield at dark. I am wondering if some of the largest bucks ever leave the security of the cats at all during legal hrs?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”