Does coming into estrous

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Does coming into estrous

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon May 16, 2016 3:16 am

If your lucky enough to hunt an area with a doe in heat mid October it can be some of the best rut action. I've only seen it once that early. I've read some writers call it the false rut that triggers the increase in scraping and rubbing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon May 16, 2016 7:40 am

im that guy that can read something but still have to see it for myself before I believe it . but what I have seen year after year on my land with my trail cameras is a short flurry of chaos between 18-23 of October. it lasts 2 nights and its over. multiple bucks passing cams chasing does ,tongues hanging out looking all amped up. its always night times activity.last year I think it was a tick earlier maybe the 15-17 of October id have to check for sure
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:32 am

The first does to hit short estrous cycles, for a large section of the whitetails range, actually start in Sep not Oct. I personally believe this has something to do with the more dominate bucks rubbing and scraping in Sept.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 am

DaveT1963 wrote:The first does to hit short estrous cycles, for a large section of the whitetails range, actually start in Sep not Oct. I personally believe this has something to do with the more dominate bucks rubbing and scraping in Sept.

Your right Dave!! Under perfect conditions this happens. Mainly needing a balanced age structure of both sexes. Then a good buck to doe ratio.

Like tim mentioned it takes place mostly at night. That's why we don't catch what is going on. Without cameras that is.

I bet there's a study someplace that has been done on this.

tim do you use this knowledge/intel to set up your rut hunting times?
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 am

i always try to use my intel of my trail cams. my favorite comparisons are year to year comparisons.and buck to doe ratios . but the year to year similarities with patterns and behavior is most interesting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”