My thoughts on blinds...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeReaper

My thoughts on blinds...

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:40 am

Now I know this will perhaps start a riot but I want to vent my frustrations about blinds. I see more and more people using them and it's getting to where any time I see someone in a video hunting they are using a blind. Theyre proven deadly I guess and will work as long as they are used correctly. My issue with them is the fact that I feel people are missing the point of hunting. Blinds make you virtually invisible to your prey. That may seem good to everyone else but to someone like me...I feel it's taking the easy way out. If you set up in a blind you can move around and basically get away with anything without having to worry. That to me is making hunters lazier. I often see guys bragging about how nice it is when they have a space heater to keep them warm and a nice big area to hang out and wait. If you are out there willing to take life away...you should be willing to get cold and miserable right along with that animal. You should be forced to sit rock still and scent free. Today we are all about intstant gratification and don't seem to want to work as hard for things. I do hunt from a lone wolf so that to some may be a big crutch also but you still have to remain still and be very stealthy to use one mobile on every sit. Sorry if I offend anyone but I just want some feedback on this. Been on my mind a while now.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Motivated
500 Club

Re: My thoughts on blinds...

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:50 am

Are you talking about elevated box blinds, tent blinds, or ground blinds made out of sticks and brush in the spring?

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:00 am

I've hunted out of tent blinds for Turkey in the past. Honestly, I felt the same way has you. I did'nt like the experience of being enclosed. I like being outside

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:21 am

So then don't use one. Just make sure you don't look down on other people who legally choose to use one. There are many great reasons to use one. A few that come to mind: Hunting with a child. Hunting in rain. The last time I hunted from one I was actually filming a friend while he turkey hunted. I could move easily to get footage without ruining the hunt and it allowed us the opportunity to visit and enjoy the outdoors together. I even played a turkey gobble ring tone on my phone and freaked him out. lol.
we all choose the level of challenge to suit our needs. I'll bet you try to control your scent, use camo, use an elevated stand, sites, calls, warm clothes etc. Others may think that these things take the sport out of it.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:52 am

Kinda the same way alot of people feel about traditional archery vs modern equipment such as crossbows and compounds with red dots ect....

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:08 pm

If you don't like them, don't use them. I quit using a blind for turkey hunting a few years ago and GREATLY increased my enjoyment of the hunt. Blinds are AWESOME when taking a young hunter with you. They are also nice for turkey bowhunters.

I personally don't care for deer hunting shows that are always filmed out of a blind.

Personal preference.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:16 pm

I have used them. Killed some great deer out of them. I have also spooked some great deer out of them. BUT the only time I will use one is when its raining and nasty. I just don't care for them. I do not enjoy sitting in them..would rather sit on the ground in the bushes in a natural blind. Just do not like the limited visibility. Plus, unless the blind is really really brushed in well, deer just don't care for them.

But as far as other people using them? Nah, does not bother me.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm

If you tried killing a respectable buck, ESPECIALLY a BIG buck, out of one on a same day set you might see them differently. I do agree they make it one heck of a lot easier when you can set them out ahead of time and the deer can get accustomed to it. Setting one up same day and killing out of it in a public scenario where you're not suppose to trim is no joke!

Basically the only time I use mine is when I'm taking someone hunting and there's two of us (mainly my wife). The other situation is late season over food when you need your scent contained. When your dealing with large numbers of deer eventually something gets downwind an clears the whole field.

I do understand where you're coming from though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:20 pm

I have a chair blind and use it infrequently - windy, cold, rainy. Had a hawk land on a branch right next to it - very neat.

Blinds are great, tree stands are great, still hunting on the ground is great, it's all good.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:34 pm

I have a Double Bull T2 and have used it in the past for turkey and occasionaly for deer. Don't see anything wrong with using them because they are far from 100% effective especially on deer. As long as they are removed every day on public I have no problem with them.

On the other hand many of these tower blinds on private land are almost as nice as some peoples cabins. At what point does it become cabin shooting when they have insulation, heaters, sliding windows and sometimes even tv's. :o

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Lockdown wrote:If you tried killing a respectable buck, ESPECIALLY a BIG buck, out of one on a same day set you might see them differently. I do agree they make it one heck of a lot easier when you can set them out ahead of time and the deer can get accustomed to it. Setting one up same day and killing out of it in a public scenario where you're not suppose to trim is no joke!

You got that right. And if you cannot trim, kind of hard to brush the blind in. The best luck I have with them is to tuck them under a spruce tree. OR jam it into a big brush pile...farmers pile stumps and brush and works well. But they are tough. 2014 had a 130" buck come in. It was all good until he worked his way around and stepped into the fence row...not as much cover. BUSTED! Snort blow -- gone.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Have used them for both deer and turkeys with some success- not lazy at all but love bringing my kids with me when I can. ;)

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:10 pm

I sort of agree with the blinds to take a youth out theory but then again...when I was about 5 I guess...my dad took me in the woods long before blinds and we saw deer. If we spooked them we learned from it. All my life that's how it was...if I screwed up by moving too much I learned not to do it again...if I taught my kids how to hunt by using a blind I don't feel they would learn how to be dead still the way you need to be by just leaning against a tree. I guess I'm just picky and I honestly didn't mean to ruffle feathers I just wanted to know if I was the only guy with this opinion. I really try not to look down on any huntin style.

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:17 pm

I can honestly say I've never hunted turkey or any other game out of a blind aside from my ghostblind.

I don't have a problem with anyone using them, to each there own, but it bothers me when I see hunters wearing what might as well be street cloths hunting out of them. I like getting decked out in camo and blending into my surroundings to peruse my quary. I like the excitement.

Joe™
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:15 pm

burkhart wrote:Blinds are another tool in te tool box. Use them when the time arises an the situation is good to do it.

Yep.

I will admit natural ground blinds are way more fun. Not being able to see inside a pop up sucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”