trimble hunt app to be discontinued (& question)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbay
500 Club

trimble hunt app to be discontinued (& question)

Unread postby cbay » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Smashed the screen on my phone this week and started to research how to transfer my trimble hunt app with waypoints to a new phone only to discover they will be discontinuing the app this year. Aside of entering all the coordinates individually onto google earth - there are a bunch of waypoints, is there an easier way to do this? I have the free version by the way. Copied the map folder onto my laptop so it's there (i think) for when i can figure it out. New phone will be here later this week and the current still works enough to use the app. Appreciate any suggestions and also some recommendations on another gps app for an android.

Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Jackson Marsh

Re: trimble hunt app to be discontinued (& question)

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Major bummer, I love the app for the topos and sharing trips with hunting buddies. I really liked the topos, show up very clearly on my phone.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:18 am

Well that stinks! All my scouting is logged in that for that past year, as well as waypoints for spots when I have to go in and setup in the dark.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:24 am

My favorite as well. Hopefully they are going to re-invent themselves and put out a better product.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:06 pm

SEMObowhunter wrote:Well that stinks! All my scouting is logged in that for that past year, as well as waypoints for spots when I have to go in and setup in the dark.

Same here. I contacted trimble by email and asked how to go about transferring my data to a new phone, and had a prompt response and was over the top helpful in getting me squared away. I didn't have an elite account, only the free version, but she added the elite and said that way i can access my waypoints online and get them into my new phone that way. Today i checked and sure enough everything was there! Was a nice user interface with the option to download and print.
Very impressed how helpful she was. Might want to give it a go (contact) if you want to save your data.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Looking at replacement gps apps, it looks like backcountry navigator and gaia gps are options.
Want to stay away from any recurring fees and they both have a one time fee version as well as annual fees for more options.
Anyone use these?
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:34 pm

I'm looking at the onXmaps app and the gaia pro. Apparently the gaia pro has public land marked, I just need to know if it has ever thing marked. OnXmaps has all the public/open to hunting marked.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:42 am

How soon will it be discontinued? I'd be sick if I lost all my waypoints!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:11 am

Alpinequest is a one time fee as well. And allows exporting and importing of all your data in various formats. Kmz, gpx, etc...

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:42 am

For those of you who have the free version of trimble and are wanting to preserve your data try contacting here http://support.gpshuntfish.com/ on the right side of the page is a "contact" link
Let them know you would like to preserve your data and request the elite. Hopefully this will work for you. Either way let us know if it does so we can all save our stuff!
Be sure and register the app on your phone so they will have that to apply the elite for you.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:21 am

This is a bummer. I'm not saying they have the best app, but it is the one I've been using and I've gotten to the point of being pretty comfortable with it. I have an Elite membership which allows the user to download your tracks and waypoints into Google Earth. Once in Google Earth, you can export all those points and tracks into a kml file which can be read or uploaded into a different gps system. I also believe Trimble allows you to just save all your tracks and waypoints into a gpx file without going through GE, I've just never done it.

Does anyone know if they are coming out with a new app or they are just folding?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Gaia pro has very little public land marked in my areas, pretty much just the federal land. I did figure out how to get a rough and dirty way to get the public land outline on GE and gaia pro.

GaiaPro app is easier to use for me than onXmaps.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”