Hunting the Rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jpsmith270

Hunting the Rut

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:37 pm

How do you all hunt the rut every year? What is your gameplan? Are you hunting the top 1/3 of hills, funnels, etc? I know many people that basically sit anywhere and hope one runs by. I would like to know your thoughts.

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Hunting the Rut

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:48 pm

Go to the search bar at the top and youll likely find many different threads associated with rut hunting. goodluck
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:49 pm

Rut put the fun in funnel.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:50 pm

Buck bedding relating to doe bedding, funnels...that's farm country and marsh/swamp

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:52 pm

Pre-rut funnels between doe bedding
Cruising -downwind of doe bedding areas, aporoaches/funnels
Chasing - doe trails and funnels near due bedding
Breeding - isolated breeding areas learned through observation over years... This is where you see bucks cut a doe from family group and push her into a holler, thick brush, isolated crp, etc

I also set up on water holes if it's hot during chasing and cruising phase

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:10 am

My game plan is to tag out before chasing and cruising start and the woods fill with rut-hunters :lol:

In all seriousness, as the rut approaches I see mature bucks shadowing doe groups more and more, staying in the background still but using bedding closer to the does, hitting nearby primary scrapes, doing nightly circuits scent checking does while still sticking to secure areas. That's my general pre-rut strategy up to the first couple days of November.

It changes to focus on buck cruising routes, pinch points and doe bedding, all the usual stuff, as bucks get on their feet more and more in daylight.

When I start to see bucks locked down with does I start hunting more isolated cover and mega funnels because bucks seem to be really dispersed at that point in between does and the does that are not in heat are hiding from all the harassment.

After most of the breeding has occurred, I start to focus on buck bedding and cruising routes around the biggest doe concentrations in an area. This changes year to year, usually around the best food. The biggest oldest bucks are back to sort of seeking behavior trying to catch the last hot doe...and they are hungry themselves.

We hunters like to break the rut into clean phases but really one blends into the next, and depending on the year and various conditions some phases seem to have more activity than others. I was reminded of this last fall, seeing behavior from bucks that definitely didn't fit into a cookie cutter phase. I started switching around tactics with some success - for instance targeting some buck bedding in mid-November.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:42 pm

Where I live, do not spend a lot of time hunting the rut. Head for the midwest every November. But last week of October, same thing applies.

Doe bedding. Everything revolves around it. I want to know where the does feed, where the does bed, where the does travel to get to bed. If the property does not have the girls, I am more than likely not going to hunt it, will scout other ground. Later on it November is better for bigger bucks. But no matter what phase, doe bedding is where its at for me.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:40 am

Cruising funnels and transition lines .. If you can find where u get cover funnel cover its super hot.. Funnels can be created by terrain, water, thick cover, roads.. ect ect. No 2 are the same.

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:03 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Where I live, do not spend a lot of time hunting the rut. Head for the midwest every November. But last week of October, same thing applies.

Doe bedding. Everything revolves around it. I want to know where the does feed, where the does bed, where the does travel to get to bed. If the property does not have the girls, I am more than likely not going to hunt it, will scout other ground. Later on it November is better for bigger bucks. But no matter what phase, doe bedding is where its at for me.

X2. Because my season opens late Oct., my scouting mainly consist of finding prime doe bedding areas and correlating that with buck movement during the phases. This year's scouting sessions were highly focused on the BEST doe bedding areas, connecting the dots and pre-planning the kill. Hopefully I'll have something to write about this fall to back it up.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:25 am

wickedbruiser wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Where I live, do not spend a lot of time hunting the rut. Head for the midwest every November. But last week of October, same thing applies.

X2. Because my season opens late Oct., my scouting mainly consist of finding prime doe bedding areas and correlating that with buck movement during the phases. This year's scouting sessions were highly focused on the BEST doe bedding areas, connecting the dots and pre-planning the kill. Hopefully I'll have something to write about this fall to back it up.

Mass is ALL ABOUT pinch points and funnels. Especially if you live in any kind of a suburbia environment. I know guys that site those funnels right out in back of their house and get action from them. One buddy had a camera out this year when he was in Iowa and it was crazy how many big bucks cruised through during daylight during a certain week of November. Sit there in October, deader than a door nail. But get there the 3rd week of November, dynamite.

In my opinion, MASS is the best spot in New England to bowhunt the rut.
redfeather

Unread postby redfeather » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:24 am

In weather Pa and Ohio I really enjoy the rut. Calling seems to work really well here and I can count on one hand how many bucks I have taken that I have not called in. Even when the bucks enter the dreaded "lockdown" calling still seems to be effective it just happens at a different time of the day. Most of my best bucks were killed between 10-2 or "lunch bucks" as I call them. I think whitetails are similar to turkey's in the aspect that they will spend all night with a doe and follow her back to bedding but if she's not going to give it up he is going to go cruise for a girl that will. This is why I think later in the season the hunting is better during mid day.

muzzy125

Unread postby muzzy125 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:44 am

[align=justify][align=justify][/align][/align]
redfeather wrote:In weather Pa and Ohio I really enjoy the rut. Calling seems to work really well here and I can count on one hand how many bucks I have taken that I have not called in. Even when the bucks enter the dreaded "lockdown" calling still seems to be effective it just happens at a different time of the day. Most of my best bucks were killed between 10-2 or "lunch bucks" as I call them. I think whitetails are similar to turkey's in the aspect that they will spend all night with a doe and follow her back to bedding but if she's not going to give it up he is going to go cruise for a girl that will. This is why I think later in the season the hunting is better during mid day.

Agree 100% I used to be one of the "calling doesn't work in PA" guys, but I had some buddies who had great success killing good bucks every year doing it so finally I asked if I could tag along with them and have them come with me to see what I was doing wrong. At first I thought they had some magic call but the I realized I wasn't calling enough. That's right, most of the stuff we here is how we can call to much but during the peak of cruising these guys are calling every 5-10 minutes. His theory is that a cruising buck can easily come in and out of hearing range of your call in that amount of time. Another important tactic I learned for calling is try to put yourself in some terrain that the buck has to physically come with in bow range to see what is going on.

I'm also from PA Redfeather glad to see a fellow PA boy on here!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:19 am

muzzy125 wrote:[align=justify][align=justify][/align][/align]
redfeather wrote:In weather Pa and Ohio I really enjoy the rut. Calling seems to work really well here and I can count on one hand how many bucks I have taken that I have not called in. Even when the bucks enter the dreaded "lockdown" calling still seems to be effective it just happens at a different time of the day. Most of my best bucks were killed between 10-2 or "lunch bucks" as I call them. I think whitetails are similar to turkey's in the aspect that they will spend all night with a doe and follow her back to bedding but if she's not going to give it up he is going to go cruise for a girl that will. This is why I think later in the season the hunting is better during mid day.

Agree 100% I used to be one of the "calling doesn't work in PA" guys, but I had some buddies who had great success killing good bucks every year doing it so finally I asked if I could tag along with them and have them come with me to see what I was doing wrong. At first I thought they had some magic call but the I realized I wasn't calling enough. That's right, most of the stuff we here is how we can call to much but during the peak of cruising these guys are calling every 5-10 minutes. His theory is that a cruising buck can easily come in and out of hearing range of your call in that amount of time. Another important tactic I learned for calling is try to put yourself in some terrain that the buck has to physically come with in bow range to see what is going on.

I'm also from PA Redfeather glad to see a fellow PA boy on here!

And that is why doe bedding areas can be so productive. I have so major doe beds that have chest high weeds ...all in the timber. From the ground, the bucks cannot see. So if they hear a call, they have to come investigate. I have had more luck when I can see the buck when I am calling to him rather than just blind calling.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:39 pm

I like to still hunt and carry the rattling horns with me. I get the most pumped up when I'm on the ground and rattle one in. Especially when they come in fast, and their hair is all raised up looking for a fight.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:29 am

I appreciate all of the feedback and good info. The "Beast" way of hunting is new to me and I am just trying to get certain details embedded in my mind. Looking forward to continue learning and getting better.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”